VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 10:32:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: SoundBlaster and Vector Linux 7.0?  (Read 3733 times)
Locator
Vectorian

« on: August 05, 2013, 12:51:32 pm »

Does anyone happen to know if SoundBlaster cards are compatible with Vector Linux 7.0?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:52:04 pm »

I've used SB cards in the past with VL.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:17:14 pm »

The Soundblaster series has been around for more than two decades. There are many cards involved, so more exact specs would be helpful. That said, they are usually well supported.
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 05:55:00 pm »

I'm talking about SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit 96kHz 100dB SNR.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 02:38:27 am »

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Creative_Labs
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 06:49:21 pm »

Good site to know, but I can't get at the relevant info. It's hidden by the ad frame, which will not go away, no matter what, and is stuck in one place relative to the actual page.

Whatever this style of ad is called, please be sure not to allow it on VL sites. As for alsaproject, I couldn't find anything like a contact link.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 03:16:59 am »

@roarde: I tried the link to the alsa site in four different browsers, two with flash enabled and two without. In either case I only get ads in the left frame that does not interfere with the main content.

Anyone else experiencing roarde's problem?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 03:39:46 am »

Nope. Of course, I use Adblock, too, so there's no issue here.  Grin

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:42:26 am »

Warning: going off-topic. That brings up a somewhat touchy issue. Legit sites, like this one, do make money from displaying ads. The ads are unobtrusive and not in the way. I prefer to show my support by not blocking them. I even click through some times, as that generates more revenue.

I do harbor a strong dislike for flash ads though. My work-around is to have my main browser set up with flash disabled (not blocked). This allows web sites to serve up static ads instead, which still produce income.

Secondary browser has flash enabled, for when I want to watch legitimate animations and videos.

Tertiary browser is stingy and buttoned up tight, for when I need to visit unknown sites.

This might stir up some talk, maybe we should have a separate thread for it?
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 06:07:12 am »

Anyone else experiencing roarde's problem?

Not here.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 08:12:05 am »

Warning: going off-topic. That brings up a somewhat touchy issue. Legit sites, like this one, do make money from displaying ads. The ads are unobtrusive and not in the way. I prefer to show my support by not blocking them. I even click through some times, as that generates more revenue.

This site should get enough traffic from unregistered guests to justify advertising traffic. However, insisting that long term users of the site also put up with advertising crosses the line. Yes, running a site is expensive (I pay for my own dedicated server). But I would never bully my users to not use adblocking software. That's up to the user and any site that starts trying to force the issue has already lost the battle.

rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 09:02:32 am »

Me, instead of disabling flash or using adblock plus. I just use

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/

There are versions of this for chromium and other browsers also.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 09:31:33 am »

That's up to the user

Exactly. This user shared his preference. I would not support any pressure or coercion from the webmaster.

@roytnji: flasblock has same effect as adblock plus on flash ads.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 02:44:43 pm »

I never sign on to Google.

Except: If I know I'm going to make a purchase over the internet, I sign on to Google then visit this forum and look around until the relevant ad appears, then click through. Sometimes I have to find and visit the intended page first, but once that sets cookies, I come back and soon see the ad. Logout on Google when purchase is done and watch the same ad chase me for the next two months  Tongue

So for now, I say our ads are fine.

I use a small type in firefox. So what covers only your left frame covers much more on my screen, as the ad size is presumably a given number of units of fixed size, say cm or in.

And how's it coming with SB compatibility?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 10:13:13 pm »

Could we PLEASE get back to my question as to how, in laymans terms, do I go about installing the drivers for the SoundBlaster Live 24-Bit sound card???
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: