VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 12:01:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: dual boot with slackware as primary OS  (Read 3463 times)
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« on: August 07, 2013, 12:16:06 pm »

all i really know is pure slackware and to be honest i know less than i know more. but i ALWAYS keep slackware as my main OS. m0E-lnx helped me "adjust" lilo in a dual boot scenario with vector as my 2nd OS and ive found this useful with other distros as well (keeping slackware and lilo as my "main") so i thought id share it.

the problem arises from slackware / liloconfig not "knowing" about another distros initial ram disk or "initrd" (referance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd). so this is how to accomplish proper loading

in your slackware you should do..........
su -
(enter root password)
mkdir /mnt/otherOS <----------create a mount point for your "vector linuxr" distro
mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/otherOS <----------(where X stands for your partition number that you are mounting)
mkdir /boot/tamu   <----creates a directory or "folder" called  /boot/tamu

in reality it can be called /boot/blah whats important is that this is where lilo looks for loading so remember what you've created as you will be adding it to /etc/lilo.conf

now lets have a look in your vector linux /boot directory

cd /mnt/otherOS/boot
ls -a

you should see a vmlinuz and an initrd.gz (vmlinuz is the kernel you want to boot, initrd.gz is the initial ram disk)
these 2 "files" are what you want to copy to slackwares /boot

cp /mnt/otherOS/boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x /boot/tamu
cp /mnt/otherOS/initrd-x.x.x.gz /boot/tamu

lets make a backup of our lilo.conf in case we make a mistake....( i made about 7 during my last install, all typos,)
cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf1

open your favorite editor (im not a programmer so i prefer pico/nano) and lets edit lilo

pico /etc/lilo.conf

scrool down and lets add "otherOS"  to our lilo bootloader
 you will see this line

# Linux bootable partition config begins
(enter this text here)
image = /boot/tamu/vmlinuz-x.x.x              <---------your otherOS kernel which we "cp'd" earlier
root = /dev/sdaX             <----------------your vector linux /
initrd = /boot/tamu/initrd.x.x.x.gz                 <--------------initial ram disk which we cp'd earlier
label = vector-linux
read-only  # Partitions should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends

thats it, save the file by typing ctrl-x   y   enter

now run....
lilo -v 

reboot and your golden

thx much to <M0E-lnx> for this help

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: