VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: dual boot with slackware as primary OS  (Read 3904 times)

wigums

• Packager
  • Packager
  • Vectorite
dual boot with slackware as primary OS
« on: August 07, 2013, 01:16:06 pm »

all i really know is pure slackware and to be honest i know less than i know more. but i ALWAYS keep slackware as my main OS. m0E-lnx helped me "adjust" lilo in a dual boot scenario with vector as my 2nd OS and ive found this useful with other distros as well (keeping slackware and lilo as my "main") so i thought id share it.

the problem arises from slackware / liloconfig not "knowing" about another distros initial ram disk or "initrd" (referance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd). so this is how to accomplish proper loading

in your slackware you should do..........
su -
(enter root password)
mkdir /mnt/otherOS <----------create a mount point for your "vector linuxr" distro
mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/otherOS <----------(where X stands for your partition number that you are mounting)
mkdir /boot/tamu   <----creates a directory or "folder" called  /boot/tamu

in reality it can be called /boot/blah whats important is that this is where lilo looks for loading so remember what you've created as you will be adding it to /etc/lilo.conf

now lets have a look in your vector linux /boot directory

cd /mnt/otherOS/boot
ls -a

you should see a vmlinuz and an initrd.gz (vmlinuz is the kernel you want to boot, initrd.gz is the initial ram disk)
these 2 "files" are what you want to copy to slackwares /boot

cp /mnt/otherOS/boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x /boot/tamu
cp /mnt/otherOS/initrd-x.x.x.gz /boot/tamu

lets make a backup of our lilo.conf in case we make a mistake....( i made about 7 during my last install, all typos,)
cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf1

open your favorite editor (im not a programmer so i prefer pico/nano) and lets edit lilo

pico /etc/lilo.conf

scrool down and lets add "otherOS"  to our lilo bootloader
 you will see this line

# Linux bootable partition config begins
(enter this text here)
image = /boot/tamu/vmlinuz-x.x.x              <---------your otherOS kernel which we "cp'd" earlier
root = /dev/sdaX             <----------------your vector linux /
initrd = /boot/tamu/initrd.x.x.x.gz                 <--------------initial ram disk which we cp'd earlier
label = vector-linux
read-only  # Partitions should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends

thats it, save the file by typing ctrl-x   y   enter

now run....
lilo -v 

reboot and your golden

thx much to <M0E-lnx> for this help

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.