VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 10:44:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saludos from the Canary Islands :)  (Read 1459 times)
alter-simpel

« on: October 13, 2013, 03:01:05 am »

Hi there

im new on Vector Linux.
My way to it was made by searching for some OS who works on my antique IBM T20 from late 1999 out of the box.
After trying several Debians, Gentoos and many other distros finally i came to VL7. Tried it - and couldn't believe.
It just works fine.
Now it also runs on my wifes PC, wich is a quite clumsy mix of older hardware too  Grin

Thanks for make this distro!

with sunny greetings from the atlantic sea ...

Orgys instead bombs
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 04:04:40 am »

Welcome. Happy to hear Vector is working for you.  Smiley

Just out of curiosity, how much memory in your Thinkpad?
alter-simpel

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 08:49:32 am »

@nightflier

384 MB RAM, CPU Pentium III @ 700 MHZ   Wink

Orgys instead bombs
rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 09:51:56 am »

Sigh, my 70gig hard drive died on my IBM m41 Desktop with my VL7 install and my IBM M57 Tower is also acting up.  No beep errors and not posting bios.

Looks like I have some work cut out for me. Oh yeah, Howdy and welcome from Texas.  Grin

Edit: pulling the ram and swapping slots and blowing out with a can of air has gotten the IBM m57 to boot now. Will see what happens when it stays running I guess.
The IBM M41 will be trickier with 2 IDE drives. I'll trash the 70gig. Figure out what to install (probably VL7 STD Gold again)  on the 40gig IDE. I have a ancient 8gig IDE I can slap in there I guess for music and a movie or 2.

Trying not to hijack your thread and all. But you might pick up some pointers on failing old gear fixes maybe.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:46:48 am by rokytnji » Logged

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 04:41:19 pm »

welcome alter-sample Smiley
alter-simpel

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:24:15 am »

thx @ hatha_ph  Wink m enjoying VL on this ole truck...

@rokytnji
sounds scary ... tryed lots of things on the T20 and working with my 80gig HD wich has some trouble reading data at thje initial blocks. But since i splitted into two main partitions plus one small swap and one for the T20 as  cosy bed to "sleep" (like the tiny moon beside the battery led) it works fine.
The last OS i used before coming on VL7 were antiX, Bodhi, PCL and absolute linux. The last one worked quite good.
The T20 loves Slackware i guess Smiley

Got my wifes ancient tower with a cruel mix of antique HW flying fast as a saturn five. And the graphic card does no more freeze, only mounting partitions and drives seems to be an issue. Looking later on this forum for solutions ...

saludos to Texas!

Orgys instead bombs
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: