VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: thanks for a great distro  (Read 1064 times)

benali

thanks for a great distro
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:52:36 am »

I don't post in this forum very often but I want to thank the VL developers and all the friendly people on this forum who answer questions about VL. I've been using it now for about 7 or 8 years with great success. It especially is fabulous for older machines. I support four AMD 64x2 (3800 and 4200 cpu's) boxes for family and VL7 STD really flies on them. Quite an achievement for these 7 year old machines. They do everything great including multimedia. Who needs to buy new machines every couple years to run Windows when you've got great software like VL? Thanks.

vincent2

• Vectorite
Re: thanks for a great distro
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 07:39:27 pm »

pls do make test install of vl7.1 beta  64 bit,beta 42 .iso
on your amd plat form....

amd64x2 can do more with vector 7.1,  did you overclock  them  with latest kernel 3.10.9 from test repo ?
if you 're lack of ram, add more size for swap file in your hard disk...or simply add more rams from second hand flea market.......
also overclock your vga card  abit.........

benali

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:32:31 pm »

Hi Vicent,

Sure, I'll be glad to test the 7.1 beta 64 bit. It's the least I can do in return for the VL goodness.

I'm afraid overclocking is a bit too aggressive for me. Everything works fine so I don't have much motivation (or time) to do that. But it's a cool idea, for sure.

RAM -- my boxes all have 1 to 2 G so I've got plenty. That's another thing I love about VL STD v 7.. hardly ever requires even 512M to do everything I want. STD edition really runs great even on what today is a pretty minimal box.

Cheers.

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:16:19 pm »

welcome :)

ddval

• That's my story and I'm stuck with it.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:53:41 pm »

VL has advanced light years from when VL was first loaded onto a resource poor Compaq Desktop.  VL did not turn the Compaq into a workable machine then, however, the old Compaq is still around and runs reasonably well with VL 7.0 light.  VL 7.0 light and VL 7.0 Standard Gold run on two other machines as well, and run with out standing performance.  It's difficult to adjust coming from Mint 11 katya, but VL makes the transition do-able.  So thanks to the minions that contribute to make VL what it is - A first class operating system.
Cheers
Linux User 561425