VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: jre update "SOLVED"  (Read 1393 times)

ddval

• That's my story and I'm stuck with it.
jre update "SOLVED"
« on: August 23, 2013, 08:48:24 am »

Downloaded JAVA tarball "jre-7u25-Linux-i586.tar.gz" update for VL Std.  Thought I could install it.  However, command "configure" was not available - I tried to use "autoconf" (m4 package installed) - no luck.

What am I doing wrong?    
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:51:02 am by ddval »
Cheers
Linux User 561425

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: jre update "SOLVED"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:47:58 pm »

We have this package available  in the repositories via slapt-get.

ddval

Re: jre update
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 09:02:05 pm »

We have this package available  in the repositories via slapt-get.

I checked both (testing) and normal repo for the recommended upgrade [ jre-7u25 ] and it was not available.   I note, [ jre-6u25 ] is available.  May [ jre-6u25 ] be used for the VL 7.0 std. gold jre upgrade?  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:24:35 am by ddval »
Cheers
Linux User 561425

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 05:07:52 am »

I checked and it is in testing.  Here's the actual package.  The repository I found it in is
Code: [Select]
ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-7.0/testing/
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE

ddval

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 07:49:43 am »

I checked and it is in testing.  Here's the actual package.  The repository I found it in is
Code: [Select]
ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-7.0/testing/

Well!  it just goes to show how much mystery and satisfaction remains in VL.  I offer no excuse for my misunderstanding of the repositories.  However, I did not believe the sources' beyond the fifth check box were  relevant, therefore, I did not check the sources' beyond the fifth check box.  Thank you Mark for the education.   And MOE thank you for keeping the ball rolling on this.  I have learned a great deal from it. 
Cheers
Linux User 561425

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 11:33:21 am »

You're welcome.  After enabling the testing repository and installing jre-7u25, it's a good idea to then disable the testing repository if you wish to maintain a stable rather than a testing distribution.  IE, just use the testing repository to install the one package rather than upgrading the entire system (unless, of course, you wish to have a testing distribution rather than a stable one).
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE

ddval

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 03:32:14 pm »

You're welcome.  After enabling the testing repository and installing jre-7u25, it's a good idea to then disable the testing repository if you wish to maintain a stable rather than a testing distribution.  IE, just use the testing repository to install the one package rather than upgrading the entire system (unless, of course, you wish to have a testing distribution rather than a stable one).

Mark, I believe I'll go for the stable VL - thanks
Cheers
Linux User 561425