VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 01:36:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera Browser  (Read 906 times)
ddval

That's my story and I'm stuck with it.

« on: August 31, 2013, 08:36:37 pm »

I've been satisfied with the snappy performance given by Firefox, however, I'm beginning to believe much of my satisfaction with Firefox is because I've used it on machines with adequate resources.   Since I'm now running machines with low resources I've noticed Firefox has trouble performing to an acceptable level.   Now enters Opera with Tubo turned on.  Where Firefox is sluggish Opera seems to maintain its snappiness.  Opera seems as fast as netsurf but offers jre for those web sites that require jre.

Cheers
Linux User 561425
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:03:50 pm »

Yes. I made a similar observation, sometimes a few seconds is a long time. Opera on older hardware is worth consideration.

Everything Is Relative
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 03:27:47 am »

While Opera was a favorite of mine for years, I never did care for the attitude of the developers. Especially when it came to asking for features that are common in other browsers. And now they've replaced the engine with the Chrome engine, ensuring I'll never use Opera as my main browser ever again.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
ddval

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:37:12 am »

While Opera was a favorite of mine for years, I never did care for the attitude of the developers. Especially when it came to asking for features that are common in other browsers. And now they've replaced the engine with the Chrome engine, ensuring I'll never use Opera as my main browser ever again.

I have no experience with Chrome, however, why does Operas' spin off with Chrome turn you off?

Cheers
Linux User 561425
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 03:05:52 am »

Because, Google has finally managed chap my hide to the point to where I'm kicking virtually everything Google to the curb. Not to mention, Chrome still isn't ready for prime time. Not with Google's idea of what a current OS is.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
ddval

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 11:22:21 am »

Because, Google has finally managed chap my hide to the point to where I'm kicking virtually everything Google to the curb. Not to mention, Chrome still isn't ready for prime time. Not with Google's idea of what a current OS is.

Thanks for your post.  BTW what's this Iron browser thing I noticed awhile back.  I read where it's trackless,  Have you any experience with Iron.

Cheers
Linux User 561425
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 11:43:00 am »

There's not an Iron package for VL yet. Previous versions have been fairly stable, but the latest current seems to have problems, so now's not a good time to package it.

Midori is kind of a "tweener" as far as features vs. resources goes, but we don't have the right WebKit package for it right now. WebKit's a tough build; I have an interest in seeing Midori come back, but with all that's going on I don't think anyone has time to handle a basically brand-new webkitgtk or webkit2gtk build right now.

Part of the interest in using Chrome code is probably Flash. The vendor (and why don't we just let them rot) is only doing real "linux" updates for Chrome's interface.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
ddval

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:19:38 am »

There's not an Iron package for VL yet. Previous versions have been fairly stable, but the latest current seems to have problems, so now's not a good time to package it.

Midori is kind of a "tweener" as far as features vs. resources goes, but we don't have the right WebKit package for it right now. WebKit's a tough build; I have an interest in seeing Midori come back, but with all that's going on I don't think anyone has time to handle a basically brand-new webkitgtk or webkit2gtk build right now.

Part of the interest in using Chrome code is probably Flash. The vendor (and why don't we just let them rot) is only doing real "linux" updates for Chrome's interface.

Thanks roarde, very informative - I appreciate the detail of your post.

Cheers
Linux User 561425
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: