VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 03:36:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dolphin  (Read 474 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: September 01, 2013, 07:00:34 am »

How, How, How?  I ask myself, how could I have missed using Dolphin for so long? 

I say this because Dolphin uses some program, nepotuk or some such, along with strigi, and indexes the hard drive on the fly.  I can search across files with Dolphin and find stuff on my hard drive quickly, while, best I can tell, my old friends Thunar and xfe require a file by file search. 

Unless someone knows another way to continuously index the hard drive, its Dolphin for me from now on. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:14:33 am »

SOHO uses Nepomuk, although if you have a low end system, it can easily bring it to its knees during its first run. On my poor ol' Toshiba notebook, it got so bad I finally turned the bloody thing off permanently. Haven't tried it on my ASUS (turned it off immediately after installing SOHO). I'll make a note and turn it on and see how things go (in 7.1 B0.43 right now).

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:20:47 am »

I was on the fence about KDE4 for years, but made the switch somewhere around version 4.9.5. I remember the indexer in 4.9.3 being a hog, but by now (currently on 4.11), it is very well behaved. If running, it immediately stops when I touch the mouse or keyboard. No slowdown noticed.

KDE4 has improved a lot just in the last year, and on a decent machine it returns a very nice user experience. By current standards, the hardware requirements are not unreasonable at all, I'd say comparable to W7.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 01:55:00 pm »

Turned the search service back on and I'm fairly impressed. Not taking a hit at all while doing my normal routines. Granted, this notebook is a bit more robust than the old Toshiba was, but all in all, it's performing quite well with no performance hit on the system.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: