VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 02:23:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: email rant  (Read 888 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: September 05, 2013, 08:54:15 am »

When I typed a letter on the corona and sealed it in an envelope I was not concerned that someone from the post office would open it, read it, copy it and sell the juicy parts, then add some advertising based on words I used and seal it back up. If I were to say man my ass is about to explode from the flamin hot chile, I did not have to worry that I may be arrested for a terrorist act, or sent a thousand choco-fresh tummytums ads. I could go on but seriously if the electronic mail service is no more than text messages for entertainment value only and anything you type can and will be used against you either by advertisers or the law with no recourse, even though you just farted and said so,  makes electronic mail and all social networks absolutely useless. Technology is moving in a very bad direction.

Everything Is Relative
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:23:06 am »

There is at least some truth to that.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:39:11 pm »

The advertising bit never really bothered me much as my ad blockers took care of 99.999999% of it. After all, you're using a free service. So what does that tell you? What's the angle for the company providing that service? Should they not be able to recoup the cost of allowing you to use that free service?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 04:16:23 pm »

soon everything you do will be exactly like that. (think the book 1984 but with ads), whether its television commercials, internet/email ads/spam. i called 411 the other day to get the number to my doctor and i had to listen to no less than 2 ads before i got the number. and what worse with all the data mining and such they know what you want before you do and gear the ads to your preferances (what ever happened to selecting what you want, not what they want you to want).

thats just corporations. dont get me started on big brothers usurpations of our freedoms

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 06:13:27 pm »

Sorry, I do agree with ad support based on address, not the content. if google sets the bar it will be raised. It is unfortunate most do not grasp the potential ramifications of accepting this kind of intrusion. it does not matter if it is machine or man, the content should be off limits or the service has no value. If they can not provide the service then try selling a stamp. I understand the potential for security but within reason, I am not interested in being terrorized for the sake of possible terror attack. if they have just cause then set limits that do not make common citizens in any way in danger. lets make no mistakes. this is mail service that is desired and replacing a slower service with standards. yes you get junk in the snail mail box but it was not based on the content of your mail, it is just bushinesses wanting to sell you something, you can trash it or not but the mail feels more secure. there are no buts for me. content is off limits or I do not want it free or paid. I have nothing to hide, it is simply a matter of principle. Ok, I will stop, thanks.

Everything Is Relative
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 08:21:21 pm »

I think you missed the fact that the post office now scans and records all of the "metadata" of regular
mail as well. Just don't ask to find a lost first class letter. It's a lost cause.
None of my email runs through a free service. Which is why it should be off limits.
I as well have nothing to hide, however give an inch (general public already did) and
they have taken a mile.

Bigpaws
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 08:43:54 pm »

For searches, instead of google, try duckduckgo

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 11:20:03 pm »

True the post office now scans all mail and saves the data for a couple of months or so. It is the inch and mile that disturbs one, the outcome of which remains to be seen.

I was using start page with opera but switched to firefox and duckduckgo a bit ago on the desktop for a change. used dogpile for a time as well.

The android phones require a google account/gmail to access google play. The application permissions are interesting also

I suspect google earth and maps collects data too.  rather hard to escape these days but worth some understanding and conversation if the technology is to be used for the betterment of mankind, we are often sold on the potential positive and receive the full negative benifits of technology. once established it is difficult to reframe. as we are perhaps seeing with google mail.

the recent phone scanning by london trash cans was another such abuse by advertizers.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:37:08 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: