VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VL STD GOLD with XFCE would not mount USB when LANG=cs_CZ [SOLVED!]  (Read 2696 times)

kolaloka

Hi everyone,
I got into a strange issue, using VL STD GOLD with XFCE installed using the non-live classical installer.

Under the default locale, I insert a USB thumb and it mounts it and opens in thunar.

When I export the Czech locale, I insert a USB thumb, HD lead blinks, USB lead blinks and suddenly nothing happens, only the whole system gets extremely slow until I plug the USB disk out.

It seems like some dbus issue with a localized message failing? Any idea what it could be? BTW, what is the mounter, hald is not running.

Thank you
Kolaloka
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:13:49 am by kolaloka »

kolaloka

Re: VL STD GOLD with XFCE would not mount USB when LANG=cs_CZ
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 01:11:36 pm »

Well, I would like to add, that with VL-light, PCMANFM would mount it with Czech locale withou issues, so I wonder now, if it is not just XFCE related?

And to clarify, of course I am talking about the VL 7 release.

kolaloka

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 12:43:09 am »

One more finding, LXDE with PCMANFM again mounts everything well with Czech locale.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 11:13:10 am »

Hi kolaloka,

Hald has been deprecated upstream. I understand that its functionality was merged with udev.
Let us know if you find something else, I will keep an eye open myself. You found a weird behaivor there.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:03:27 pm »

On both STD and Light, please compare the output of the following:

1) Open default terminal, "printenv LANG"
2) Use main menu's run dialog. Enter "printenv LANG >~/langforx" then view ~/langforx to see the output.

May have nothing to do with your problem, but it's a place to start.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:48:52 am by roarde »
Robert
VL 7.1 Light

kolaloka

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 04:34:53 am »

OK, let's test it with VL-LIGHT, which mounts well and I did what you suggested, here is the result:

t40p:/~
kolaloka:$ printenv LANG
en_US

Just in case you wanted to see more, here is where it makes the difference:
kolaloka:$ env |grep LANG
LANG=en_US
GDM_LANG=cs_CZ

then I used the Menu/Run dialogue and a very strange thing happened, the printenv from the Run dialogue didn't write to the file at all, and didn't show any error

t40p:/~
kolaloka:$ cat ~/langforx
cat: /home/beowulf/langforx: No such file or directory

the weird thing about it is this:

kolaloka:$ cat /etc/profile |grep LANG
export LANG=cs_CZ

From what I see, I think you are right to point out where the difference lay. The terminal environment will not for some reason take into account my settings in /etc/profile, while X will. So the system without X continues to work all english and so mounts the points correctly....

Later today, I will try to find out about the STD GOLD edition.

kolaloka

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 04:13:20 am »

Hi Vectorfolks, with a great help of ROARDE I got this solved.

Explanation:
VL 7 STD GOLD did not mount, because the system worked in en_US and only LANG messages were cs_CZ (not UTF8) and that mattered
VL 7 LIGHT mounted because it ignored the settings in /etc/profile and only translated the X environment, so messages kept going in English, so things worked well

When I exported all locale (not the LANG only) LC_ALL=cs_CZ.UTF8 in VL 7 STD GOLD things started to go well again.  That seems we found the culprit.

The only thing that remains unclear to me is why VL 7 LIGHT ignores LANG=cs_CZ in /etc/profile and introduces GDM_LANG instead?

I hope my post may contribute to improving VL. :-)

Thanks to all, namely ROARDE!

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
Re: VL STD GOLD with XFCE would not mount USB when LANG=cs_CZ [SOLVED!]
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 06:38:45 pm »

Thanks to all, namely ROARDE!
I appreciate the good word, but no: the thanks go mainly to you, kolaloka :)
You see, this is something that's needed to be looked into for quite a while. I'd intended to compare STD and Light on my way to suggesting a fix. I'll skip the details and just say that would have involved a lot of time in my situation, probably 3 days or so and no telling when I'd get to it. It wouldn't have taken someone else quite that long, but still a fair amount of time. Instead, you looked at it well, reasoned it out right given just a hint, and published the results in very clear fashion. So again, thank you very much!

I'm not a VL dev, but I can guess that there won't be a package-type or automated fix for 7.0. It probably won't make a 7.1 beta very soon either, but I'd bet it will be an improvement included with 7.1 release.

The only thing that remains unclear to me is why VL 7 LIGHT ignores LANG=cs_CZ in /etc/profile and introduces GDM_LANG instead?
Most if not all the desktop environments shipped with Light 7.0 miss running or including /etc/profile or .profile. To me, it's not certain that profile is the right place to get this for X anyway, but I haven't seen any distro with a proper alternative yet. Lxde was pretty new to VL when it was shipped with Light 7.0, but all in all a pretty good job. But if you'll look in lxde's startup directory (I run IceWM and can't recall where that directory is), you'll see a shell script intended to be a startup file for lxde. Lxde wants .desktop files there instead, so the script isn't run. It can be run just by creating something like "startscript.desktop" in that directory; include the line "Exec=/path/to/shellscript". Some of the entries on the existing script are duplicated by actual .desktop files or elsewhere, so an edit would be needed before activating the script.

I hope my post may contribute to improving VL. :-)
It has, in a very big way. 4 posts, 2 fixes (counting your other thread), and much effort saved. Nice average!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:41:23 pm by roarde »
Robert
VL 7.1 Light

kolaloka

Re: VL STD GOLD with XFCE would not mount USB when LANG=cs_CZ [SOLVED!]
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 01:13:46 pm »

Hi roarde!
thanks for explaining the LXDE case, I am a little of old school, since I mainly run OpenBSD on servers and even on my desktop, and there in unix, everything works "the old way" and things do work as expected. For some reason I needed linux these days, so I went back to my favourite Vector, which I have been using whenever I have had a need for some special linux apps and currently new system chapters seem to open to me...  :-) oops, I have to learn some more to keep up to date even in this conservative slack-like env.
kolaloka