VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 09:11:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL STD GOLD with XFCE would not mount USB when LANG=cs_CZ [SOLVED!]  (Read 1789 times)
kolaloka

« on: September 08, 2013, 11:57:25 am »

Hi everyone,
I got into a strange issue, using VL STD GOLD with XFCE installed using the non-live classical installer.

Under the default locale, I insert a USB thumb and it mounts it and opens in thunar.

When I export the Czech locale, I insert a USB thumb, HD lead blinks, USB lead blinks and suddenly nothing happens, only the whole system gets extremely slow until I plug the USB disk out.

It seems like some dbus issue with a localized message failing? Any idea what it could be? BTW, what is the mounter, hald is not running.

Thank you
Kolaloka
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:13:49 am by kolaloka » Logged
kolaloka

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 12:11:36 pm »

Well, I would like to add, that with VL-light, PCMANFM would mount it with Czech locale withou issues, so I wonder now, if it is not just XFCE related?

And to clarify, of course I am talking about the VL 7 release.
kolaloka

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 11:43:09 pm »

One more finding, LXDE with PCMANFM again mounts everything well with Czech locale.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:13:10 am »

Hi kolaloka,

Hald has been deprecated upstream. I understand that its functionality was merged with udev.
Let us know if you find something else, I will keep an eye open myself. You found a weird behaivor there.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:03:27 pm »

On both STD and Light, please compare the output of the following:

1) Open default terminal, "printenv LANG"
2) Use main menu's run dialog. Enter "printenv LANG >~/langforx" then view ~/langforx to see the output.

May have nothing to do with your problem, but it's a place to start.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:48:52 am by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
kolaloka

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 03:34:53 am »

OK, let's test it with VL-LIGHT, which mounts well and I did what you suggested, here is the result:

t40p:/~
kolaloka:$ printenv LANG
en_US

Just in case you wanted to see more, here is where it makes the difference:
kolaloka:$ env |grep LANG
LANG=en_US
GDM_LANG=cs_CZ

then I used the Menu/Run dialogue and a very strange thing happened, the printenv from the Run dialogue didn't write to the file at all, and didn't show any error

t40p:/~
kolaloka:$ cat ~/langforx
cat: /home/beowulf/langforx: No such file or directory

the weird thing about it is this:

kolaloka:$ cat /etc/profile |grep LANG
export LANG=cs_CZ

From what I see, I think you are right to point out where the difference lay. The terminal environment will not for some reason take into account my settings in /etc/profile, while X will. So the system without X continues to work all english and so mounts the points correctly....

Later today, I will try to find out about the STD GOLD edition.
kolaloka

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 03:13:20 am »

Hi Vectorfolks, with a great help of ROARDE I got this solved.

Explanation:
VL 7 STD GOLD did not mount, because the system worked in en_US and only LANG messages were cs_CZ (not UTF8) and that mattered
VL 7 LIGHT mounted because it ignored the settings in /etc/profile and only translated the X environment, so messages kept going in English, so things worked well

When I exported all locale (not the LANG only) LC_ALL=cs_CZ.UTF8 in VL 7 STD GOLD things started to go well again.  That seems we found the culprit.

The only thing that remains unclear to me is why VL 7 LIGHT ignores LANG=cs_CZ in /etc/profile and introduces GDM_LANG instead?

I hope my post may contribute to improving VL. :-)

Thanks to all, namely ROARDE!
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 05:38:45 pm »

Thanks to all, namely ROARDE!
I appreciate the good word, but no: the thanks go mainly to you, kolaloka Smiley
You see, this is something that's needed to be looked into for quite a while. I'd intended to compare STD and Light on my way to suggesting a fix. I'll skip the details and just say that would have involved a lot of time in my situation, probably 3 days or so and no telling when I'd get to it. It wouldn't have taken someone else quite that long, but still a fair amount of time. Instead, you looked at it well, reasoned it out right given just a hint, and published the results in very clear fashion. So again, thank you very much!

I'm not a VL dev, but I can guess that there won't be a package-type or automated fix for 7.0. It probably won't make a 7.1 beta very soon either, but I'd bet it will be an improvement included with 7.1 release.

The only thing that remains unclear to me is why VL 7 LIGHT ignores LANG=cs_CZ in /etc/profile and introduces GDM_LANG instead?
Most if not all the desktop environments shipped with Light 7.0 miss running or including /etc/profile or .profile. To me, it's not certain that profile is the right place to get this for X anyway, but I haven't seen any distro with a proper alternative yet. Lxde was pretty new to VL when it was shipped with Light 7.0, but all in all a pretty good job. But if you'll look in lxde's startup directory (I run IceWM and can't recall where that directory is), you'll see a shell script intended to be a startup file for lxde. Lxde wants .desktop files there instead, so the script isn't run. It can be run just by creating something like "startscript.desktop" in that directory; include the line "Exec=/path/to/shellscript". Some of the entries on the existing script are duplicated by actual .desktop files or elsewhere, so an edit would be needed before activating the script.

I hope my post may contribute to improving VL. :-)
It has, in a very big way. 4 posts, 2 fixes (counting your other thread), and much effort saved. Nice average!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:41:23 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
kolaloka

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 12:13:46 pm »

Hi roarde!
thanks for explaining the LXDE case, I am a little of old school, since I mainly run OpenBSD on servers and even on my desktop, and there in unix, everything works "the old way" and things do work as expected. For some reason I needed linux these days, so I went back to my favourite Vector, which I have been using whenever I have had a need for some special linux apps and currently new system chapters seem to open to me...  :-) oops, I have to learn some more to keep up to date even in this conservative slack-like env.
kolaloka
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: