VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 02:06:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: why hasnt it been thunked?  (Read 1203 times)
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« on: September 11, 2013, 11:28:15 am »

we change the name to vector-buntu and write a 2 word HOW-TO of adding a user to sudo

instant bajillion users

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:23:32 pm »

well puppy did it and it had a bzillion users, go figure

say..wigums, I tried a bunch of dark themes and most had the same text issue as dusk but as posted in the other thread the london smoke is not bad but if you want BLACK with white then try xfce-black, it seems to work for me with firefox so likely the other sites. think it is the white text with dusk as it does the search but you can not see the text because it is white.

http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/Xfce-black?content=149015

but as I mentioned in the other post with pics you can search for others at will, was looking myself so thought it may assist.

If you do try the london smoke remember to unzip the london smokes in gtk folder and place in main folder..
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:25:37 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:00:10 pm »

we change the name to vector-buntu and write a 2 word HOW-TO of adding a user to sudo

instant bajillion users

You should be shot, hung, drawn and quartered, drowned, burned at the stake and then banished for even THINKING such thoughts.  Grin

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:08:42 pm »

haha, hey im just an idea guy

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Linux4me

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:01:37 am »

instant bajillion users

LOL.....then you would have them trying to install from Ubuntu software center...... and trying to install every .deb file around only to find it just won't work.....fix for that is rename: gslapt-buntu.......but then they will be complaining of system crashes and brake-ages......
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 05:48:28 pm »

Thunking is good.  Rather than vectubuntu though I would like to see Vector - Law, Vector - Business and Vector - med, downloadable or on DVD.   To my mind, Vector's main attraction is its simplicity and stability.  7.1 follows and expands on this.  Excepting a few George Bush types, there is no one alive today who could not load VL 7.1.   If it came packaged with a complete set of tools that, say, lawyers need (Open office, google chrome, etm, libreoffice etc), they might even buy it.  The order form could be a questionnaire, asking the purchaser to in effect pick and choose among various softwares applicable to his field or profession. Force him to put it in a root directory which leaves his or her data alone, and the guy could change his mind all he wants.  With fed ex or amazon, he could have the new disk the next day.  Put out updates every couple of months. She could then concentrate on being a doctor rather than a computer jock doctor.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:50:48 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 06:58:42 pm »

well.. light, std, soho just change the name on the order form Wink

Everything Is Relative
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 08:31:16 pm »

You might be right.  Perhaps Vector should just put out separate law, business and medical DVDs with no options to customize.  Put on the best programs for each and send out new DVDs with the same, plus any updated or new stuff (which passes muster) every month. For a subscription fee.  User just puts in dvd and it completely rewrites his root file.  Henry Ford comes to mind here, paraphrasing:  "You can have any color you want, so long as it is black."  Use the money to publicize Vector.  Sell subscriptions for $50 per year.  There are professional computer guys and girls and professional non-computer guys (and girls).  A computer professional does not need to know about medicine to make a computer sing.  A medical professional should not need to know squat about computers other than how to use the programs. 

The software profession is now well seasoned. There is little new coming out.  Mostly just guys trying to make a buck by repackaging of old stuff.  I know an outfit that put out software "updates" not based on anything new, but rather based solely on its revenue requirements.   I still use dos foxpro to keep track of crucial office info and I can instantly search anything I put on foxpro since 1995.   

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: