VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 08:37:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.1 official beta (almost)  (Read 31739 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #255 on: January 11, 2014, 06:55:46 pm »

Today the mail went out at port 25 with claws-mail.

claws-mail still hangs with Configuration>Preferences for current account>OK=hang.

However, if I first do: Configuration>Edit accounts>close then Configuration>Preferences for current account>OK
there is no hang and when this window closes the Edit accounts is up again and can be closed.

Umplayer works with DVD and Gnome-Mplayer with audio CD.

Changing to another language in login window works so does changing to session to fluxbox and out of it.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #256 on: January 11, 2014, 07:02:36 pm »

Ok reinstalled B2.1 32

same consistant no text in login

If I click language then cancel all the text is in the dialogs and password box

If I click actions and choose xdmcp and ok the dialog appears but has no text

If I wait a moment then "no serving hosts were found" appears at the top and refresh appears on the refresh button

If I then touch the cancel button the word appears, same with help

but nothing appears on the open a session to the selected host button and just above there is an underscore to right of text box and button with underscore on the left that suggest text should be there.

If I click cancel I return to login screen with no text even though I had clicked language and cancel and had text when I chose the xdmcp option.

this is what lead me to believe it was related to the option but it is easier to say I am going to remove it than actually doing it without making the system suspect.

I think I will reinstall B1.1 and have a closer look at the xdmcp option as I did not try it...there was a random freeze as I recall on the login screen and just black dots for password. but the text was always in the session box, etc as I recall.

perhaps all for not as no one seems to have the issue but I am curious

will make a post about the previous xdmcp option and then stop posting about it.

Edit: the B1.1 xdmcp option responds the same way, cancel returns me to the login but the text is still there.
perhaps the dialog is supposed to have the underscores I do not know.

ok enough about my issue, sorry for all the unnecessary posts

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:10:02 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #257 on: January 11, 2014, 07:12:18 pm »

Just noticed, joe, my favored editor is not in the repos neither xpaint. That is according to gslapt.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #258 on: January 11, 2014, 08:25:14 pm »

Ok reinstalled B2.1 32

same consistant no text in login

If I click language then cancel all the text is in the dialogs and password box

If I click actions and choose xdmcp and ok the dialog appears but has no text

If I wait a moment then "no serving hosts were found" appears at the top and refresh appears on the refresh button

If I then touch the cancel button the word appears, same with help

but nothing appears on the open a session to the selected host button and just above there is an underscore to right of text box and button with underscore on the left that suggest text should be there.

If I click cancel I return to login screen with no text even though I had clicked language and cancel and had text when I chose the xdmcp option.

this is what lead me to believe it was related to the option but it is easier to say I am going to remove it than actually doing it without making the system suspect.

I think I will reinstall B1.1 and have a closer look at the xdmcp option as I did not try it...there was a random freeze as I recall on the login screen and just black dots for password. but the text was always in the session box, etc as I recall.

perhaps all for not as no one seems to have the issue but I am curious

will make a post about the previous xdmcp option and then stop posting about it.

Edit: the B1.1 xdmcp option responds the same way, cancel returns me to the login but the text is still there.
perhaps the dialog is supposed to have the underscores I do not know.

ok enough about my issue, sorry for all the unnecessary posts

overthere,
                Thanks for posting all of your information. I believe that I may have found the culprit. I was able to reproduce the "invisible text" , and sure enough, as you've described, it comes into veiw when clicking on a button.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #259 on: January 11, 2014, 09:58:52 pm »

Thanks Masta

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2014, 09:59:25 pm »

As mentioned the xvkbd pkg in gslapt does not work

it does add a menu item with no icon

looked in /usr/bin and no xvkbd

added the app from 7.0 /usr/bin and made executable
 the menu item then works

remove pkg via gslapt removes the menu item only

keyboard works with launcher and icon available

I added so I could use the mouse and xvkbd to play cribbage in terminal as the BSD-games version is the only available crib for linux

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2014, 12:48:51 am »

B2.1 32bit

testing some apps

parallel printer bjc-2000 works(wow slow old thing)
canoscan usb scanner with xsane works
abiword type text and add scan image
print abi to pfd with cups-pdf
requires evince to view image
epdfview views text

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/b21app1.png

umplayer playes dvd/cd from menu and /mp3/mp4/wma from file
has nag screen with each open
burn image with brasero
create image with gimp

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/V7B2132Bgt.png

edit image with imagemagick display
view and slide show with geeqie
hexchat appears to work fine
torrent with transmission
usb install with unetbootin
browsers play tube vids, download and search basics
timer and weather plugins working
xmms plays saved list and opens with timer
pysol works
gnubg and xmahjongg from repo work but no icons
usb opens when plugged and shows content when selected from settings
basic customizations, compositing, placement, resolution, etc appear fine what I used.
still some work but basic functionality is looking good

keep up the great work
Cheers
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:50:44 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2014, 03:50:38 pm »

I installed 64-B2 on a Dell Latitude D620 (unetbootin-usb-stick).  In the advanced install, when I finished partitioning, program would not go forward.  So I rebooted, and, using existing (from last install) partitions, it went forward and completed the install. I put lillo in the big drive (not in swap, root or /home).  After the install completed, on reboot, the machine would not finish loading VL 7.1.  Stopped at the first vector screen.  I rebooted with the install usb stick in the slot and it loaded fine.  But VL7 would not load unless the usb stick was in the slot.

So, figuring I put lilo in the wrong place, I reinstalled 64-b2 on the same machine, this time selecting the "automatic" install option.  Installed fine but, as before, VL 7 would not load completely unless I put the install usb stick in the slot.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #263 on: January 14, 2014, 05:40:40 pm »

I installed 64-B2 on a Dell Latitude D620 (unetbootin-usb-stick).  In the advanced install, when I finished partitioning, program would not go forward.  So I rebooted, and, using existing (from last install) partitions, it went forward and completed the install. I put lillo in the big drive (not in swap, root or /home).  After the install completed, on reboot, the machine would not finish loading VL 7.1.  Stopped at the first vector screen.  I rebooted with the install usb stick in the slot and it loaded fine.  But VL7 would not load unless the usb stick was in the slot.

So, figuring I put lilo in the wrong place, I reinstalled 64-b2 on the same machine, this time selecting the "automatic" install option.  Installed fine but, as before, VL 7 would not load completely unless I put the install usb stick in the slot.

pls  reedit your lilo again manually, change" root=/dev/sdb1" to sda1....

it's very simple.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #264 on: January 14, 2014, 11:33:11 pm »

Thanks vincent2, but its a bit beyond me.  I don't know which file to edit.  Its been a long time, somewhere around 5.6, since I fooled with lilo and at that time I think there were some lilo options in vasm.  I don't know which file to edit.

I will fool around with liloconfig a bit as time permits.  I really don't need that machine, but had access to it and wanted to do a bit of testing for the VL project. 

Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #265 on: January 14, 2014, 11:39:43 pm »

B2.1 64 bit installed, love the artwork!  Same issue with running Firefox screws up the screen rendering the system unusable, no problem when I install midori, this is with an Nvidia on board graphic 610 chip I believe.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #266 on: January 14, 2014, 11:51:03 pm »

Thanks vincent2, but its a bit beyond me.  I don't know which file to edit.  Its been a long time, somewhere around 5.6, since I fooled with lilo and at that time I think there were some lilo options in vasm.  I don't know which file to edit.

I will fool around with liloconfig a bit as time permits.  I really don't need that machine, but had access to it and wanted to do a bit of testing for the VL project. 

"vliloconf " ' s still missing with  VL7.1 beta 2.1, i  mentioned many times here, developer doesn't CARE.

so Now you can't use vliloconf comand  yet  , so you must edit manually by yourself....
pls go to  /etc/lilo.conf  ,lilo.conf 's there,pls edit it to sda1  as ur root
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #267 on: January 18, 2014, 08:17:43 pm »

B2.2 32bit

both text install and gui install do not kick cd, and  reboot. hear click then monitor posts system halted and flashing cursor.

however with previous usb install notice that cd was opened so compromise perhaps would be wait for key press(enter?) giving time to remove cd and close door or just hit enter to reboot if usb, with notice to remove install media and press key.

both installs advanced, existing, xfce, lilo to partition.

both boot to login and logins ok with my exception no text till click lang and cancel.

observation..leafpad moved to accessories and now has discription with others..

Everything Is Relative
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #268 on: January 19, 2014, 12:27:49 pm »

B2.2 32-bit
Used http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/x86/vinstall-0.1-i586-1vl71.txz
From running 7.0 Light.

From package's slack-required, already had pygobject and pygtk. In 7.0, "python.setuptools" is called just "setuptools". Installed that and urwid.
Tried, discovered it also needed pyparted. Installed that. Noticed also that package install needs git, which was already installed.

Never did get urwid to work, whether from root terminal or console session.

Ran "vsuper vinstall" from an X-session, and it behaved exactly like booting the CD and pointing the installer to an ISO on a mounted partition, to wit:
  Process ran normally, hung after "installing bootloader". I did this twice, once with lilo to bootsector, once with grub to bootsector. Same result both times. Would not boot, no initrd in TARGET's /boot. Don't know enough grub to fiddle with it. Commented out the initrd in lilo.conf and reran lilo, which got the system booted. Followed the slack-type README in /boot to generate a generic initrd, put the initrd line back in lilo.conf and reran lilo. This worked too, but of course it didn't pick up what was necessary to get bootsplash up.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2014, 10:20:59 pm »

Vincent 2 said:

pls  reedit your lilo again manually, change" root=/dev/sdb1" to sda1....

I see no sdb1 or anything similar in VL 7.1 B2's /etc/lilo.conf.

As I may have mentioned, this boot business is not a problem for me as I use 7.0.  I just reported it. 

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
  Print  

Jump to: