VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 04:30:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.1 official beta (almost)  (Read 31486 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #285 on: January 25, 2014, 07:50:15 pm »

what makes you think that, looks like 3.10.25 to me

Everything Is Relative
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2014, 02:18:18 am »

e1550 3G modem  still doesn 't work under vl7.1 beta 2.4   64 bit yet,
under vl7.0  64 bit it works fine
under vl 7.0 , it appears as following
lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 12d1:140c Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

under vl7.1 beta 2.4  64 bit ,it apppears  as :
lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 12d1:1446

maybe some script missing in udev file. of vl7.1,
also on vl.7.1   still using USB_ModeSwitch  old version pkg, should  update USB_ModeSwitch pkg in next beta to 2.0.1
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:44:58 am by vincent2 » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2014, 03:39:53 am »

Just installed Vector 7.1 b2.1 on my main machine, and so far so good but had to wipe my home partition to do it, as it would not import the existing user - sound on all aps other than exaile - which is somewhat strange...
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #288 on: January 26, 2014, 04:31:58 am »

Just installed Vector 7.1 b2.1 on my main machine, and so far so good but had to wipe my home partition to do it, as it would not import the existing user - sound on all aps other than exaile - which is somewhat strange...

why couldn't u use your usb fash disk as /home, just chose advance install ...

pls try vl7.1 64 bit beat 2.4, again together with 3G modem for mobile broadband internet, ok?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #289 on: January 26, 2014, 05:25:10 am »

B2.4 VLocity

retired1:$ uname -a
Linux vector.linux.net 3.12.8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 17 06:15:41 Local time zone must be set-- x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Again, why have we gotten away from the long term support kernel?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #290 on: January 26, 2014, 08:19:27 pm »

# system-config-printer
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 56, in <module>
    import cups
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cups.so: undefined symbol: ippFirstAttribute

Error from "View Error Log" when trying to print
E [27/Jan/2014:14:29:10 +0800] Unable to open listen socket for address [v1.::1]:631 - Address family not supported by protocol.

Job State
"Waiting for printer to become available."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:44:58 pm by Pita » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2014, 04:41:12 am »

pls try vl7.1 64 bit beat 2.4, again together with 3G modem for mobile broadband internet, ok?

Because I used advanced and wanted to use my home partition for my data without having to tranfer it, the only way to test properly is to use it as a real environment... and I don't intend to use a mobile broadband connection.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2014, 07:05:55 am »

Because I used advanced and wanted to use my home partition for my data without having to tranfer it, the only way to test properly is to use it as a real environment... and I don't intend to use a mobile broadband connection.

when u make advanced install ,pls chose your current home partition as /home, no need to format /home at all,just leave it there, then a small partition in4G as swap /swap....but you do need make unique user name and passwd for vector7.1, once you finished  install reboot, log in as vector 7.1 user , may see ur data on your  home partition before vl7.1 as root.
so mobile internet 's too expensive in your country still,users in your country still regard access internet via 3G/4G modem   a great luxury.IF U USE,  SOCIAL SOCURITIES OFFICERS MAY DENY YOU NEXT UNEMPLOYMENT SOCIAL CHEQUES AND HOUSING BENEFITS, THEY 'D RATHER HAPPY AND CHEERFUL TO SEE U IN HOMELESS NESS
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #293 on: January 27, 2014, 07:14:04 am »

B2.4 VLocity

retired1:$ uname -a
Linux vector.linux.net 3.12.8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 17 06:15:41 Local time zone must be set-- x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Again, why have we gotten away from the long term support kernel?
just testing.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #294 on: January 27, 2014, 09:47:44 am »

when u make advanced install ,pls chose your current home partition as /home, no need to format /home at all,just leave it there, then a small partition in4G as swap /swap....but you do need make unique user name and passwd for vector7.1, once you finished  install reboot, log in as vector 7.1 user , may see ur data on your  home partition before vl7.1 as root.
so mobile internet 's too expensive in your country still,users in your country still regard access internet via 3G/4G modem   a great luxury.IF U USE,  SOCIAL SOCURITIES OFFICERS MAY DENY YOU NEXT UNEMPLOYMENT SOCIAL CHEQUES AND HOUSING BENEFITS, THEY 'D RATHER HAPPY AND CHEERFUL TO SEE U IN HOMELESS NESS

I used advanced and kept my home partition - but used the same user name as I had in my 7.00 install - initially I didn't format it.  It didn't work in as much as the XFCE desktop would not load.  Hence a fresh install
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #295 on: January 27, 2014, 11:53:47 am »

I used advanced and kept my home partition - but used the same user name as I had in my 7.00 install - initially I didn't format it.  It didn't work in as much as the XFCE desktop would not load.  Hence a fresh install

Ran into that as well. I chalked it up to the massive change to XFCE once I did a full install.

Which comes to something that should be checked for. One of the main reasons I loathe reformatting /home is due to the changes and customization I tend to do with my desktop. Up until Beta 2, I've been able to tell the installer to leave /home alone and everything has worked fine. With the XFCE changes, I ended up having to copy the few items I didn't want to loose and do a fresh install, including format /home. I hate formatting home! Whatever happened to the installation and first boot checking for compatibility issues and making configuration changes on the fly? I realize this is Beta territory, but we should have feature locked before the first beta was released and we should be fine tuning in preparation for release.

Seems we're taking steps backwards instead of moving forward, and it's making me very uncomfortable.

vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #296 on: January 27, 2014, 04:25:12 pm »

YOU SHouldn't use the same user name as you had in your 7.0

YOU MESS UP CONFIG files......

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #297 on: January 27, 2014, 06:37:44 pm »

YOU SHouldn't use the same user name as you had in your 7.0

YOU MESS UP CONFIG files......

That's a crock. Seriously, just stop. Your off topic rants about trying to break into 3G modems along with your inane prater about items that will eventually get fixed is getting old.

Oh, and get your keyboard fixed. The caps lock key is obviously malfunctioning.

vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #298 on: January 27, 2014, 08:38:35 pm »

pls download vl7.1beta    2.5& 2.6  delta file  from test repo, genrating beta 2.6 .iso, make test install of beta 2.6 now.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #299 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:06 pm »

I completely agree with retired1af that the option to avoid reformatting the /home partition when upgrading VL is crucial.   

On this point, I suspect that if I were to install lyx, etm (and perhaps other programs that are hard or time-consuming to reinstall) as non-root rather than root (root install is normally the easiest) and followed my usual practice of not formatting /home when upgrading to the next version of VL, I could avoid reinstalling those programs as well.  That would be very nice.  Heck, I could even then install and work with a new beta version pretty easily.  I don't know where the cut-off should be.  Some programs, like python, qtpy, setuptools, etc should probably always be root. I guess this is something that each user will need to decide for him/herself.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
  Print  

Jump to: