VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 05:35:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.1 official beta (almost)  (Read 25897 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 05:28:07 am »

Interesting results here, installs fine, but some issues. This is the 64bit version

Onboard Nvidia graphics card, running with no xorg - and firefox locks the computer giving me a screen that suggests it can't run the graphics.  Installed seamonkey and the same thing happens.  Installed dillo and runs fine.  Installed Midori and it will not launch, from a terminal I get an error message, error while loading shared libraries: libzeitgeist-1.0.so.1 cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory.

No other programs seem to do this.

Note this is a fresh install with no other distribution and no other repositories added other than those that were loaded when I installed fresh.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:22:13 am by Lyn » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 09:58:16 am »

Texlive installed fine to my Lenovo backup laptop, so lyx works great!  On that same machine I did not have Lyn's problem with seamonkey, which seems to run fine.  Etm also installed (from the etm - duke university site) but see next sentence.

I need to copy my files from my Samsung running 7.0  to the Lenovo backup laptop. I use grsync on my main (Samsung) machine to save to an external hard drive.  Do this every Sunday night.  Works fine.  But I can't find the grsync backup tool (root).  It is apparently not in the 7.1 respository.  So I don't know how to get that info from the external hard drive onto the Lenovo.

John
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:01:39 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 05:40:09 pm »

running  vl7.1  45 beta 64bit on gygabyte G41mt-s2pt,intel g41 chipset based MB still, strangely IIDE cdrom 're locked ,  press cdrom button  still can't open it to load cdrom......
always have to reboot the PC, load cdrom disc before its booting into vl7.1, then can see the cdrom content by typing "mount /dev/sr0  /mnt/cdrom".........

umplayer still can't play vcd or  music cd normally, even configure cd drive as /mnt/cdrom, umplayer doesn' recognize ........

how should fix it?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:42:33 pm by vincent2 » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 10:13:49 pm »

VL7.1 bo45 32bit

grip - created an mp3 file for testing, mp3 plays with um, gm and xmms via right click

no sound from exaile ( right click .mp3 play with) although it appears to be playing and gives track info.

um player does not play cd from open/audio cd.. although I set cd and dvd as /dev/sr0 in devices. dvd plays from open/dvd from drive.

notice in recent list- cdda://1 and dvd://1//dev/sr0

my canoscan n67ou usb scanner works with xsane

adding:
I have been finding my stark desktop very easy to use and will keep using it but decided to add another user which gave me the default desktop back.

when I double click the vector icons I get an untrusted application launcher error with option to - launch anyway or mark executable, also cancel. which option do I choose? I then got a launch error, failed to run docs.desktop

log out and switch user seems to work

edit: exaile required /preferances/playback/audio sink change to alsa from automatic to play.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:00:10 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 11:34:35 am »

VL64-7.1-B0.45
Pentium Dual Core 1.8 GHz, 2G RAM, Intel 945 mobo with integrated video.

Automatic install created 1G swap and left 4G unallocated.
You need swap equal to or greater than RAM for hibernation, don't you?

Thunar: Icons for Networking folder seem to be just defaults (1's and 0's).
Desktop launchers need to be set to executable to work properly.

Suspend or Hibernate only disconnects networking for a few seconds, then returns to normal operations.

EDIT: Just adding a few more observations:
If I shut down or reboot from command line, X will not start until next reboot.
Shut down will not power off machine.
Hibernate command complains about no configuration file, and "no suspend methods found".
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:39:21 am by nightflier » Logged
wigums
Packager
Packager

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 04:10:24 pm »

ive got no icons in dolphin

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 07:25:33 pm »

B045 64bit

On first booting X crashed to login screen every time I tried to open an application.
Stopped on subsequent booting.

Might have tried by now all applications. Few bugs remain as reported:

-- Hang in claws-mail

-- System>New Login in a Window, not working

-- System>New Login, opens locked xscreensaver, after entering password crashes back to xfce4 desktop

-- vcpufreq not working

-- Epson LQ300 printer not detected.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 09:05:23 pm »

Bo45 32bit

Installed gedit to replace leafpad. gedit will allow type, copy paste, save, open etc but I can NOT edit / preferences. the content on the tabs is fixed but I can click the tabs and view.

the highlight current line is selected and I was attempting to uncheck the box. can not find a file to edit this

Everything Is Relative
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 04:42:51 am »

Bo45 32bit

Installed gedit to replace leafpad. gedit will allow type, copy paste, save, open etc but I can NOT edit / preferences. the content on the tabs is fixed but I can click the tabs and view.

the highlight current line is selected and I was attempting to uncheck the box. can not find a file to edit this

Is there a problem with leafpad or just a personal preference?

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 05:47:59 am »

Need to do more testing, but I've run into issues with leafpad as well. Specifically with the saving of files and its ability to be read on other OSs.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 07:03:17 am »

Leafpad has been an issue for me, no consistent saves with garbled text. I have posted pics on the previous thread. actually I posted on the previous page from leafpad with the garbled text. If I click edit on the post it sits loading until I am tired of waiting.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:20:29 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 09:12:29 am »

Is there a problem with leafpad

Think so. On several occasions, it corrupted a file when saving. File will no longer open in Leafpad, but Abiword will, revealing junk characters on first line.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 10:20:08 am »

I just updated leafpad to 0.8.18.1 in 7.1.  Available from untested.  Try that and let me know if the problems persist.
Build logs = http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/buildbot/builders/leafpad/builds/6

The gedit problem is a bit more complex.  Seems to be related to dbus, and something that has been showing up in different environments for quite some time.  Not sure what to do on that one.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 10:43:48 pm »

Thanks MOE-lnx, installed the 0.8.18.1 leafpad to bo45 32bit and did twelve type and saves, copy/ paste, open and reopen and all seem OK, so looks like it is working here. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:45:49 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 11:52:09 pm »

any clue as to why I should have issues with web browsers with the 64 bit version of 7.1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to: