VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 04:42:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.1 official beta (almost)  (Read 31960 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2013, 06:13:01 am »

Code:
echo on > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usbX/power/control

Hi Rodrigo, thanks for the suggestion. Alas, it made no difference.  Sad
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2013, 05:44:09 am »

Installed B0.48 (64-bit).

GRUB now installs properly during installation. Still running into an issue with GRUB not properly detecting and writing found OSs on the system to grub.cfg. 

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2013, 06:52:32 am »

B0.48 on Ivy Bridge: No apparent change from 0.47.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2013, 10:15:56 am »

perhaps not as important just now but

Find that moving the mouse wheel on the desktop switches desktops, unchecking the box in switcher preferences is only effective when the pointer is on the switcher.

Edit: Solved, sorry there is also a check in tweaks

was happy to discover sweethome3d in the repository but only get a splash screen, which is better than the nothing I got when I tried the downloadable portable version from the web site on my VL7std install.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 01:09:17 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2013, 11:49:37 am »

Three tests of B0.48 32-bit:

In Virtualbox no problems. Played with boot settings, found that not using an initrd cut the boot time by four seconds. Do I lose anything except the boot splash this way?

Custom box; VIA mobo, AMD CPU, nV graphics: Installed using B0.44 burned CD and .48 iso on USB stick: Install hung at "installing bootloader". Booted from CD and installed grub. Upon restart, no response to kb (ps/2), or mouse (USB), except Ctrl-Alt-SysReq, r, e did give me command line.

IBM Thinkcenter Intel P4 box, same peripherals as above; installed using B0.44 burned CD and .48 iso on USB stick: Install hung at "installing bootloader". Booted from CD and installed grub. Keyboard and mouse works, NIC does not.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2013, 08:57:46 pm »

system = intel p4 cpu 1.7 ghz intel d845ept2 board
         768 meg ram
         1280 x 1024 f-417 neovo monitor
         gforce gf4mx440se 128 meg agp

bo.48 32 bit

Installed via gui, advanced, existing, choose grub2 to sda/3
install hangs at installing bootloader.

reinstalled and choose lilo no issue.

The wifi notification is now silver but has a black background.
when I previously switched from inherits= Faenza,gnome,hicolor (which was black) to = faenza-Dark,gnome, hicolor I got silver but no background. must have been getting the notification-gsm-x-.png. which matches the volume.I though it must have been nm-signal as it was also silver

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/bo48.png

you can see the better match here

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/dressing1.png

added the foum as a button replacing the redundant close all window button as I am not using desktop icons here

added the optional menu tag as some may need it. just the button looks better personally
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:03:08 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2013, 07:41:16 am »

I was looking at this icon that matches the volume

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/34%20PM.png

I deleted all the nm ones hopeing it may default but not.

The icon themes from xfce-look are about as usefull as the style themes, NOT

anyway I am done with it for now, it is what it is.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:28:22 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2013, 02:47:14 am »

IBM Thinkcenter Intel P4 box, same peripherals as above; installed using B0.44 burned CD and .48 iso on USB stick: Install hung at "installing bootloader". Booted from CD and installed grub. Keyboard and mouse works, NIC does not.

Looks like we got an old version of the installer -which is not compatible with latest grub2- in the ISO by mistake.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2013, 07:16:33 pm »

Just notice /dev/shm is not created at boot time in VL 7.1.
Currently on B0.45 32 and 64bit...
Do anyone have the same problem?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2013, 07:36:36 pm »

Looks like we got an old version of the installer -which is not compatible with latest grub2- in the ISO by mistake.

Sorry. looks like I am making the mistake here Smiley
The B0.44 installer will not work on latest ISOs because Grub2 interface changes.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2013, 09:12:08 am »

The B0.44 installer will not work on latest ISOs because Grub2 interface changes.

Rodrigo, if there is a way to mess something up, count on me to find it. I suspected that the install method could affect the process, that's why I specified how I did it. Grin

With this in mind, I tried using VL64 B0.48 ISO and unetbootin to create a bootable USB stick. It booted to command line only. Trying "install" for text installer resulted in "image not found". Oh well, booted into 32-bit .48 (with Vector's new kernel) and used Brasero to burn a CD of 64-bit.

Burned VL64 B0.48 CD booted and installed without problems, for both GUI and text installer. This on my Ivy Bridge box.

Once up and running I tried some customizations. Changing desktop appearance works, hello Clearlooks!  Smiley

Changing desktop background did not work as expected. I could change the wallpaper, but selecting "none" and specifying only a solid color resulted in a black desktop with no icons, and system instability. Right-clicking desktop did nothing. Took well over a minute to log out. Created new user and tried again, same result. Best I could come up with was to create an image of the solid color I wanted and set that as background.

Next I wanted to install the nvidia driver. Could not find kernel-src for 3.10.14 in vl repo. Downloaded source from kernel.org instead. Uninstalling nouveau using gslapt did not disable the module, though the Nvidia installer did detect and disable it. Still, I could not get the module to build, it complained about missing info in some .h source files and I didn't feel like pursuing it any further. Will try again when our own source package becomes available.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2013, 07:07:41 pm »

Claws-mail hang; further input:

Started claws-mail with flag --debug. This is output at end when clicking
Configurations>Preference for current account>OK/Cancel >>Hangs:
Code:

main.c:1719:TIMING main startup: 0s343ms
prefs_account.c:3675:Opening account preferences window...
prefs_account.c:3677:called inc_lock (lock count 1)
gtkaspell.c:1590:Aspell: found dictionary en en
gtkaspell.c:1590:Aspell: found dictionary en_CA en_CA
gtkaspell.c:1590:Aspell: found dictionary en_GB en_GB
gtkaspell.c:1590:Aspell: found dictionary en_US en_US
gtkaspell.c:1590:Aspell: found dictionary en en
gtkaspell.c:1590:Aspell: found dictionary en_CA en_CA
gtkaspell.c:1590:Aspell: found dictionary en_GB en_GB
gtkaspell.c:1590:Aspell: found dictionary en_US en_US
prefswindow.c:711:0.000000
prefswindow.c:177:prefs window closed
prefs_account.c:3699:called inc_unlock (lock count 0)
claws.c:102:Starting Claws Mail version Claws Mail 3.9.2
utils.c:1874:using default rc_dir /home/user/.claws-mail
main.c:2336:Using control socket /tmp/claws-mail-1000/07da273a29fce511292c29c599b89015
main.c:2430:another Claws Mail instance is already running.

** (process:2637): WARNING **: Socket IO timeout

** (process:2637): WARNING **: [11:00:14] Socket IO timeout.

Claws Mail is already running on display .

May be that will give some idea why this problem with claws-mail only in VL-7.1-Beta

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:08:59 am by Pita » Logged
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2013, 07:57:45 pm »

Rodrigo, if there is a way to mess something up, count on me to find it. I suspected that the install method could affect the process, that's why I specified how I did it. Grin

With this in mind, I tried using VL64 B0.48 ISO and unetbootin to create a bootable USB stick. It booted to command line only. Trying "install" for text installer resulted in "image not found". Oh well, booted into 32-bit .48 (with Vector's new kernel) and used Brasero to burn a CD of 64-bit.

Burned VL64 B0.48 CD booted and installed without problems, for both GUI and text installer. This on my Ivy Bridge box.

Once up and running I tried some customizations. Changing desktop appearance works, hello Clearlooks!  Smiley

Changing desktop background did not work as expected. I could change the wallpaper, but selecting "none" and specifying only a solid color resulted in a black desktop with no icons, and system instability. Right-clicking desktop did nothing. Took well over a minute to log out. Created new user and tried again, same result. Best I could come up with was to create an image of the solid color I wanted and set that as background.

Next I wanted to install the nvidia driver. Could not find kernel-src for 3.10.14 in vl repo. Downloaded source from kernel.org instead. Uninstalling nouveau using gslapt did not disable the module, though the Nvidia installer did detect and disable it. Still, I could not get the module to build, it complained about missing info in some .h source files and I didn't feel like pursuing it any further. Will try again when our own source package becomes available.

before  runnning unetbootin,you should use gparted to format your usb disk as 16bit fat,md5sum to check iso 's integreties, then remount, once finished unetbootin,unmount usb disk.
you should find kernel-src for 3.10.14@  http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/x86_64/
, test repo......
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2013, 01:35:24 pm »

Tested this in Virtualbox on both 32 and 64 bit, B0.48. Same result there.  Sad
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2013, 02:21:02 pm »

can confirm the changing of back ground issue in 32 bit bo48..same issue here but could not later add an image..user or root same. gray screen, loss of icons and right click, instability, long log out

in bo 45 thought I  could use solid color and gradient did not try transparent
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:53:38 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to: