VectorLinux
November 20, 2014, 08:12:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.1 official beta (almost)  (Read 33460 times)
Getrb

« Reply #210 on: January 01, 2014, 11:08:36 am »

About Grub2 bug im having an generic issue of Grub2 not accepting to install on an ext2 filesystem.
Reading about it i have found that this seams to be for all extX systems therefore id like to know what i should use.
Theres more here> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=861192

Edit: 2
Some suggestions (without reading all previously made threads)

A minor typo in the beginning fo vs of.
I'm guessing there's more to come from the installer as-well but.
When choosing partitions perhaps there are ways of bringing options of mount-points along side.
Along with the possibility of typing what name you'd like to mount a partition under.
In the text-mode installer there might be a favor in making the [tab]-key work as a step by step.
An option to hide your password when typing it, might have some beneficial situations for a user / admin.
And an warning if caps-lock is activated.

An help-option page to view an or get a better understanding of what certain option does.
Like what can happen if i disable animations or let startup stay default, whats the diff. between simple and advanced. (Guiding the user abit.)
Some user-groups might be added by default like lp if cups are installed for example.
First-time messages could be a feature under the install-process and or when window-manager is up and running.
Such as /var/mail/root and welcome screen information. 

Keyboard map doesn't persist when altered.
The drop-down-menu for a couple of things are marked at the bottom of the list.
And if any disorder in screen-placement during install are there, the key information might not be visible.
So what im suggesting is to still have scroll-lists but have the marker centered, and lists revolving around the marker instead.
During first boot-promt i can also see a couple of dandy improvements like [F1-F6] or so delivering lots of different good options.
Such as keyboard-setup/ language, screenresolution, text or gui-install, kernel-options-lists, etc.

Overall id say that the gui now has alot going for it, and being well executed. A wast difference compared to the old one.
I have installed three times in advance mode gui and text.

One other topic that i have seen a little bit of is documentation and PR for the distro, that i think could be executed abit better.
Here are some points>
One of the most used programs of any desktopOS has got to be the browser from my point of view.
Therefore, that seems to me one of the most important bits to tweak, yet its all factory.
Some things that are usually found in most distros are, support, distro-pages and all such type of things in a well structured bookmark collection.
And of course a homepage that's useful and potentially brings a donation / purchase if people are impressed. Eg. the startpage! vectorlinux.com
Themes are also nice in bringing the top-brand-browser into the look and feel of the rest of the desktop.
The default behavior of browser-configurations such as security, shortcuts, misc adaptation to make use of all installed software.

A support-icon instead of for example screen-shot in the top menu. Also in the top menu, root terminal and filemanager craches from not being started by gksu or equivalent. Another thought from all the icons on the desktop is to make an extra drawbar / applet to only revolve around all distro-features.
A thing that could stay visible at first start and then hide away with the rest.
Enhanced menu-tweaks to rightclick-menus and adoptions of klipper/glipper as an option to integrate along gdm for all applications.

And for tonight, my number one feature!
I would like to see more intelligence at my fingertips when working in the terminal. (The computer is supposed to do the major work.)
So i think its a very nice thing that someone wrote a couple of lines of common things that are used.
But there's also a major potential in developing that part in the distro.

For one of my major favorites are "APROPOS" and the main thing about that is.
You don't have to remember every command there is in your head, and if you come back from vacation its likely a nice usable little thing.
But say that you would like to know, how can i edit something in VL-term and you type "apropos edit", there will be Zero answers.
Instead of perhaps $" nano, kate, geany, vim, abiword, emacs, leafpad, kwrite, and so on.
And links to more resaults of howto edit> graphics, html or whatever is suitable.

Also by having a few examples for commonly used task in terminal for each command and suggestions for related.
There is a bunch of time-saving aspects there even for the professional user. (quick answer to what your probably looking for.)
So by making small use of stuff already available, one can enhance user experience alot.

And as for the last wish apropose, id consider making a contribute, if that's of any interest.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:33:57 pm by Getrb » Logged
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #211 on: January 01, 2014, 05:27:31 pm »

So id like an quick answer sens ive always used ext2 for my boot.
What is my best option otherwise?
Reiserfs, Brtfs, ....... (Brtfs is still unstable as ive come to know right?)

Edit, i have excluded both of these options so then ...... fat32 or.....

better format it as xfs or ext4, while xfs can cater large volume data well
Getrb

« Reply #212 on: January 01, 2014, 07:11:09 pm »

Thanks but ext4 is not an option im afraid. (all ext fails)
And im quite puzzled by the fact that editing by hand is no problem.
But from root execution of the software there's only read permissions even if its really writable.

Im going to either add what i want manually or make use of a live disto or so to make it happen.
And after searching about XFS and most other they are not compatible with Grub.
Using ext3 or 4 is depending on use of course limited as well giving kerneloptions like noatime and so...
(One could switch of ext3-options but then again, stay native ext2 and not have to address anything.)

If i cant find whats wrong about it, there might be a value in the Vectorians knowing this might be an patchable issue.
And again thanks for replying... =)

vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #213 on: January 01, 2014, 09:14:06 pm »

Thanks but ext4 is not an option im afraid. (all ext fails)
And im quite puzzled by the fact that editing by hand is no problem.
But from root execution of the software there's only read permissions even if its really writable.

Im going to either add what i want manually or make use of a live disto or so to make it happen.
And after searching about XFS and most other they are not compatible with Grub.
Using ext3 or 4 is depending on use of course limited as well giving kerneloptions like noatime and so...
(One could switch of ext3-options but then again, stay native ext2 and not have to address anything.)

If i cant find whats wrong about it, there might be a value in the Vectorians knowing this might be an patchable issue.
And again thanks for replying... =)

when booting with install disk or iso image,
pls chose  advanced install, then chose using partition tool to creat partitions  installing, or you can chose using existing partition and then pls  configure oone of partition  as your " / '-xfs or ext4, another /home xfs  or ext4, another 4G  patitions as swap swap.

WHO TOLD YOU THAT "XFS and most other they are not compatible with Grub"? i'm using xfs now with grub without any problem.
of course ext3, 4 both work nicely, but after install, install kernel 3.12.2 to your system for better performance...
Getrb

« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2014, 05:54:24 am »

@vincent2 about XFS you are of course right about that.... Maybe i was abit tired last night sens i looked at some old garbage-pages!
Checking some reasonable places like xfs.org is again supporting this. Sorry about that.
I might have a go again today when my eyes aren't crossed! lol

Im currently using a dedicated /boot partition for grub2
And beta testing 7,1 with kernel 3.10.20 so if i was to cook another kernel for it.
The testing process would be more or less useless.... unless they plan on delivering 7,1 with 3.12.2 kernel.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2014, 06:23:18 am »

The current plan is to stick with kernel 3.10, since it is an LTS release.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2014, 06:44:27 am »

@vincent2 about XFS you are of course right about that.... Maybe i was abit tired last night sens i looked at some old garbage-pages!
Checking some reasonable places like xfs.org is again supporting this. Sorry about that.
I might have a go again today when my eyes aren't crossed! lol

Im currently using a dedicated /boot partition for grub2
And beta testing 7,1 with kernel 3.10.20 so if i was to cook another kernel for it.
The testing process would be more or less useless.... unless they plan on delivering 7,1 with 3.12.2 kernel.

you should make test install together with other linux fans in your community, then you can can discuss and figure out problem quickly...no cafe house in your area can offer you free gatherings   for vector linux?

once you installed vl7.1 64 bit beta 1.1, do download latest kernel 3.12.6 from vl test repo. and install

http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/x86_64/

.....then "vliloconf" from console as root, or directly edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg, thus boot into 3.12.6....

but now vl7.1 64 bit beta 1.1's still buggy, no vliloconf available, it's missing still.

the idea to stay with. kernel 3.10. series, mainly  caters the those corny old users in north america who 's no plan to update their hardwares in 2014...in the age of 3G and 4G modem, they 're still stick to corny gigantic broadcom wifi  card.
Getrb

« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2014, 07:17:43 am »

Well i dont have an issue running 3.10x but there's benefits of getting support for hardware.
Although that has to be weighted against using stable trouble-free versions of the kernel that the developers have knowledge about.

About grub and XFS
Code:
root:# grub-install /dev/sda3
/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: error: hostdisk//dev/sda appears to contain a xfs filesystem which isn't known to reserve space for DOS-style boot.  Installing GRUB there could result in FILESYSTEM DESTRUCTION if valuable data is overwritten by grub-setup (--skip-fs-probe disables this check, use at your own risk).

Now i will test it and see how it goes.. Preview is failing at this code-insertion so here it goes anyway..

About Linux users, where im living there has most definitely been an increasing number of linux-users.
But very few organized events apart from in Stockholm, Linkoping and a couple of major citys.
And being inactive for few years i haven't followed up on those bits yet.
The number 1 forum in Sweden is more or less dead, where i am a moderator.
So im guessing that all the people hang around at ubuntu forums and similar..... (no spyware for me)

vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #218 on: January 04, 2014, 08:16:48 pm »

Well i dont have an issue running 3.10x but there's benefits of getting support for hardware.
Although that has to be weighted against using stable trouble-free versions of the kernel that the developers have knowledge about.

About grub and XFS
Code:
root:# grub-install /dev/sda3
/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: error: hostdisk//dev/sda appears to contain a xfs filesystem which isn't known to reserve space for DOS-style boot.  Installing GRUB there could result in FILESYSTEM DESTRUCTION if valuable data is overwritten by grub-setup (--skip-fs-probe disables this check, use at your own risk).

Now i will test it and see how it goes.. Preview is failing at this code-insertion so here it goes anyway..

About Linux users, where im living there has most definitely been an increasing number of linux-users.
But very few organized events apart from in Stockholm, Linkoping and a couple of major citys.
And being inactive for few years i haven't followed up on those bits yet.
The number 1 forum in Sweden is more or less dead, where i am a moderator.
So im guessing that all the people hang around at ubuntu forums and similar..... (no spyware for me)

pls try with:

grub-install /dev/sda
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #219 on: January 04, 2014, 09:24:07 pm »

Installed VL7.1 B1.1 32 bit via usb (using unetbootin on 7.1 B1). Smooth advanced install, so far no issues not posted

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/VL7.1B1.1.png

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/Screenshot1.png

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/Screenshot2.png

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/Screenshot3.png

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/Screenshot4.png

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/Screenshot5.png

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/78910.png

Everything Is Relative
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #220 on: January 04, 2014, 10:09:29 pm »

I was wondering how you were gonna get around design patent and trademark restriction of various "V-8's" by FoMoCo and others.

That'll work  Smiley

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2014, 01:08:43 am »

Just installed VL 7.1 B2 64 bit  via unetbootin usb disk, install went very smoothly....
booted into xfce4  desktop nicely...

STILL missing vliloconf command, log in as root, no vliloconf  command available....still can't make another boOtloader for grub2 yet.....always have to edit at grub.CFG  MANUALLY
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #222 on: January 06, 2014, 04:59:15 pm »

Installed VL7.1 B2 32 bit via usb (using unetbootin on B1.1) smooth install

love the wallpaper, may discard my V7, sorry I skipped the boot splash on this one

have an issue with the login screen though where if I click session or action all I see are underscores and a red x for cancel. If I click language I see choices and if I  cancel then click either session or action all is clear and I can make choices. this happens with each logout/in. guessing my vid card but thought worth mention.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:37:27 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #223 on: January 06, 2014, 08:43:00 pm »

So i was building sflphone on VL 7.1 B1 and notice below error regarding clutter-gtk missing older version of libcogl.
So I have rebuild clutter-gtk v2 with cogl-1.14.x (which is the latest) in the untested repo and the error is gone.
The new clutter-gtk is available at the untested repo...just want to report in this issue i found Smiley

/usr/lib/gcc/i586-vector-linux/4.7.2/../../../../i586-vector-linux/bin/ld: warning: libcogl-pango.so.0, needed by /usr/lib/libclutter-gtk-1.0.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-vector-linux/4.7.2/../../../../i586-vector-linux/bin/ld: warning: libcogl.so.9, needed by /usr/lib/libclutter-gtk-1.0.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/lib/libclutter-gtk-1.0.so: undefined reference to `clutter_gdk_set_stage_foreign'
/usr/lib/libclutter-gtk-1.0.so: undefined reference to `clutter_gdk_disable_event_retrieval'
/usr/lib/libclutter-gtk-1.0.so: undefined reference to `clutter_gdk_handle_event'
/usr/lib/libclutter-gtk-1.0.so: undefined reference to `clutter_gdk_set_display'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2014, 09:08:48 pm »

btw, epdfview should be replace either with xpdf nor evince2 as there is a problem viewing images in all pdf
how about the claws-mail hang issue?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to: