VectorLinux
November 01, 2014, 12:47:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.1 official beta (almost)  (Read 32694 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #225 on: January 07, 2014, 12:38:55 am »

xvkbd does not work..no menu icon but on menu...error no such file or directory (via gslapt no error during install))
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:40:41 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2014, 12:43:11 am »

I just loaded 64 B2, using the automatic option. I hope to try hata_ph's sflphone tomorrow after I reload VL 7.1 as an "expert.".  Nonetheless, I report that 64 B2 automatic loaded fine on my Lenovo N586.  The graphics are excellent.

Some additional information is needed to assist in deciding whether to choose automatic or expert load options.  For example, the user should be told that on selecting the automatic option his drive will be formatted into one partition, plus a swap partition and that if he wants both a root and a  /home partition he needs to select the expert option.

And don't forget to change 7.0 to 7.1 on the initial screen before 7.1 goes beta.

And keep up the good work!

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2014, 09:03:52 am »

It is possible to run the new installer from a running system.
you can get the pkg here http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/x86/vinstall-0.1-i586-1vl71.txz
it should work on 7.0 or 7.1 x86 or x86_64
you need to have an iso in / or in the root of any partition or in the cdrom.
you can start it with "vsuper vinstall" as a reg user or "vinstall urwid" from a root terminal, I would like you  to try both.
Let us know how it goes.

Uelsk8s
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2014, 03:23:44 pm »

This is weird. Ran into the same issue I ran into with B1.1.

Slapped the B1 CD into the drive and it detected B2 iso on /dev/sda. Started the install (format root, leave home intact) and let the install fly.

Upon reboot, only B2 is visible on the grub menu as if the grub OS prober didn't detect the other partitions or operating systems. Once logged in, I'm able to manually update grub and it works fine after that.

Now, when you select the disable boot animation during install, what exactly is that supposed to disable? Because I'm still getting animated graphics during boot.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #229 on: January 07, 2014, 08:32:21 pm »

Testing on 7.1 B2 64bit, if install without XFCE in advance mode, cups complaint missing libavahi-common.so.3. Install avahi via gslapt solve the problem.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #230 on: January 07, 2014, 09:48:58 pm »

Had B1.iso in downloads folder of first partition, as root, copied to file system.

installed linked pkg via right click install pkg

Opened terminal and typed vsuper vinstall.

checked xfce and included splash

Smooth advanced install to third partition, boots as expected.

Then installed B2 via usb to partition 3, the option for B1 was available, I chose B2 for again smooth install.

chose lilo to sda3 and booted partition via boot manager.

Everything Is Relative
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #231 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:26 pm »

Installed VL7.1 B2 32 bit via usb (using unetbootin on B1.1) smooth install

love the wallpaper, may discard my V7, sorry I skipped the boot splash on this one

have an issue with the login screen though where if I click session or action all I see are underscores and a red x for cancel. If I click language I see choices and if I  cancel then click either session or action all is clear and I can make choices. this happens with each logout/in. guessing my vid card but thought worth mention.

You should not see the red X unless you are logging in another user, while a user is currently logged in. If this is the case, then you're running low on a resource somewhere. An idea to check this I think would be to ctrl+F2 , log in, run htop. Go back to F7 and then trying loggin in another user. When the issues start showing up, go back to F2 (while still keeping the new login running) and see what's hapenning there. Let me know. Thanks.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #232 on: January 07, 2014, 10:28:27 pm »

btw, epdfview should be replace either with xpdf nor evince2 as there is a problem viewing images in all pdf
how about the claws-mail hang issue?

I agree with the xpdf replacement Smiley
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #233 on: January 08, 2014, 12:42:21 am »

from first partition,B1.iso already in file system, root terminal,vinstall urwid

text type installer opens, choose advanced, open gparted, split partition 3 and format partition 4 ext3
click quit and get #d2
click enter gets root:#

vinstall urwid opens installer choose advanced/existing #e2
again and choose gparted click X on window.. #e2

terminal---------------------------------------------
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/vinstall/core/render.py", line 67, in get_widgets
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/vinstall/ui/urwid.py", line 730, in accept
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'SimpleFocusListWalker'
vector://home/overthere
root:# #d2

terminal-------------------------------------------
root:# #e2
----------------------------------------
try vsuper vinstall this time did not check xfce hang on install bootloader

try again advanced,existing, check xfce and no splash, install to partition 4 smooth as before no splash boot as expected.

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #234 on: January 08, 2014, 02:18:39 am »

B2 32 bit

You should not see the red X unless you are logging in another user, while a user is currently logged in.

The red X are on the cancel buttons of session, language and action. if I click session all I see is a list of underscores and the X on the cancel button. If I click language I can see the text for them and the cancel on the cancel button. if I click it and then click session or action I can then see the list..fluxbox..etc. it is a consistant text issue. it did not happen with the previous login screen.

just an observation, the 1920x1080 wallpapers do not scale well on 1280x1024 perhaps 1920x1200 or larger would look more like expected. not an issue just observation.

Everything Is Relative
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #235 on: January 08, 2014, 08:18:59 am »

from first partition,B1.iso already in file system, root terminal,vinstall urwid

text type installer opens, choose advanced, open gparted, split partition 3 and format partition 4 ext3
click quit and get #d2
click enter gets root:#

vinstall urwid opens installer choose advanced/existing #e2
again and choose gparted click X on window.. #e2

terminal---------------------------------------------
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/vinstall/core/render.py", line 67, in get_widgets
you will need to update urwid: "slapt-get -i urwid"
is this on 7.0 or 7.1?
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2014, 09:12:53 am »

Vector 7.1 b049 32b vinstalling 7.1 B1 32b to another partition will try update

Edit: Thanks..updated urwid and now works ,  chose advanced, existing to partition 4 with lilo to partition and booted with boot manager. smooth install and booted as expected.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:50:53 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #237 on: January 08, 2014, 04:14:19 pm »

B2 32 bit

You should not see the red X unless you are logging in another user, while a user is currently logged in.

The red X are on the cancel buttons of session, language and action. if I click session all I see is a list of underscores and the X on the cancel button. If I click language I can see the text for them and the cancel on the cancel button. if I click it and then click session or action I can then see the list..fluxbox..etc. it is a consistant text issue. it did not happen with the previous login screen.

just an observation, the 1920x1080 wallpapers do not scale well on 1280x1024 perhaps 1920x1200 or larger would look more like expected. not an issue just observation.

Oh those red X's :-) . OK got the picture now, thanks.  It seems like there may be a font selection issue in the configuration. I'm on it...

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #238 on: January 08, 2014, 08:20:25 pm »

I notice some app are missing comments at the start menu...so I have update the desktop files for below packages to make it look more polish Smiley
all should be available at the 7.1 untested repo...feel free to test out the new builds

gkrellm-2.3.5
tuxcards-2.2.1
pysol-2.0
leafpad-0.8.18.1
epdfview-0.1.8

PS: same problem to vcpufreq so maybe the devs should update the desktop files as well...

BTW, when u look at the screenshot, you will notice there is a black line at the xfce panel. Reduce the panel row size to 23px instead of 30px (default) will remove the line. It seem it only happen to elementary-VL theme...it seem also only happen on 32bit only
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:48:11 pm by hata_ph » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #239 on: January 09, 2014, 02:38:03 am »

I feel the xfce4-timer and weather plugins should be stock options. that would add 3530k but improve default customizability

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/Stock%20options.png

I like this wallpaper but changed to 1920x1200 from x1080 to get the essence at 1280x1024>

my default quick fix

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/B2Default1.png

Added package manager and leafpad to favorites list

Replaced root folder with media player next to volume on the upper panel giving volume control more purpose in that location.

Moved the wifi indicator to the std location

Changed the menu icon

Reduced lower panel row size to 23 as mentioned by hata_ph
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:04:00 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to: