VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 03:38:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: lm_sensors issue to check on with 7.1  (Read 3420 times)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: September 27, 2013, 08:09:43 am »

We should check on this and, if needed, update the lm_sensors package:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ3MDE

September 5th, 2013: Hardware breakage reported Over the past few months, we had several reports of sensors-detect causing serious trouble on recent hardware (most notably laptops.) We still don't know what exactly is happening, and while it might be reversible, we don't know how, so in practice this is equivalent to the hardware itself being broken. The symptoms are that the display starts misbehaving ( wrong resolution or  wrong gamma factor.) We have mitigated the risk by changing the default behavior of sensors-detect to no longer touch EDID EEPROMs and then to no longer probe graphics adapters at all unless the user asks for it. We urge maintainers to backport changesets r6040 and r6084 to all Linux distributions which are still shipping lm-sensors 3.3.2 or older. Versions 3.3.3 and newer are not affected.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:12:34 am by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:57:20 am »

lm_sensors has been updated in 7.1, but I dont have either newer hardware or a laptop to try this on.

http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/buildbot/builders/lm_sensors/builds/3

Getrb

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 08:47:33 am »

Some VL-7.1-STD-B1.iso related bugs and so... ((might have been better to start a new topic but seemed unnecessary.

First of the installer got to a black screen of death, during two install-attempts.
So during configuration-sequence it gets unresponsive.
Reissuing /sbin/config-stage1 will not cure this issue nor will reboot.

It also fails in sound and network probing.
Auto-option does not work either. (xorg)

Really it handles like some pre/ alpha versions would be expected to.
Solving one issue here is far from enough, therefore id have to say "i do not consider this to be a beta!"

Furthermore installer ruined one of my partitions during install.
And it might be fun to repeat 3 times not to format /home
But why not even give the user an option of doing that with ext4?Huh
So i went for an mixed use of formatting / ext4 and /home reiserfs

Boot options failed again just as in 7.0 STD GOLD LIVE it doesn’t provide options for Grub or lilo.

Some error messages:
Line 223
and line 316 in xorg  
(Both there errors makes the script go into an infinitive loop, reprinting these errors.

And there also seems to be an issue with the subject of this topic lm_sensors.
But sens everything fails after several attempts i'm not going to make a major contribute.
(Other than this. Many of these features require programing skills i don't have.)

Hardware is Acer Laptop SSD/dualcore Intel-chip Travelmate-series
Auto-detection works in 7 though xorg is abit troublesome in KDE and rejoining previously done configurations.
Issuing vasm and or using kde built in stuff doesn’t work.
So if a game changes resolution to 640x480 or 800x600.
Time and again after reconfiguring using vasm.
Screen will display 1280x1024 or what i set.
But limit mouse movement to 800x600 or less.
(I got this error after using fceux. )
As if a daemon started the change after some time in KDE when for example browsing internet.
(And there are no running processes except system-default..... abit spooky!)

After a reinstall those are not a problem though it might be informative in xorg/ KDE behavior failure's.
At least that became my conclusion... for a game like fcuex doing a change in user-mode.
Couldn’t be altered by root and vasm and/or KDE settings.

Edit:
In general development there is a thread of 7.1 i missed, moderators might move this there if appropriate.
Also id like to ad that install is made out of md5 checked iso-image and diectly from ssd so no read-error’s are assumed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:02:39 am by Getrb » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:35:42 pm »

Hi Getrb,

What installation method did you use?
7.1 is a new spin entirely, including the installer. I guess you used vinstall-iso by reading your other threads? That would work with 7.0 but we did so many changes in 7.1 I dont think it would work.
If you want to install 7.1 from HD, I could provide instructions for you, we will need to redo vinstall-iso probably.
This is not documented, so my apologies for the inconvenience.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Getrb

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:56:43 am »

Hello rbistolfi =)

I do of course not know how vinstall-iso is working by the nuts and bolts.
But as to the install-process i'm still abit puzzled......

The installer kicked of in choosing what iso id like to install from.
And from executing this iso, i'm perhaps making a wrongful assumption of:
That the iso-image installer is the president one?
But then again from reading my link below i can see that's an mistake on my part, id of course consider a reinstall of 7.1 B1

If you like to, i dont mind if you lay the generic concept of vinstall down. (Perhaps in a dedicated new thread)
Though it might be a waste of effort's sens your probably going to rewrite this.

I'm going to attempt a install of 7.0 first by editing Grub and get the hang of that. (Shouldn’t be to hard, just not shore about linking menu.lst.)
And if that works the way i think, i'll probably wanna make a little script to automate this procedure.

And it's all good. trying a beta one is expecting a bit of errors.
It seems that it may have been my own misdoing anyhow so,,,, absolutely no hard feelings.

You could if you want toss in a way here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: