VectorLinux
April 15, 2014, 11:28:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D printing?  (Read 1082 times)
Locator
Vectorian

« on: October 04, 2013, 02:15:48 pm »

With the advent of 3D printing in recent years, is there a way to do 3D printing using Vector Linux 7.0 (provided, of course, that i have the proper equipment to do it with)?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:45:55 pm »

http://bit.ly/1f6DiPX

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 06:02:03 am »

Not exactly the "direct answer" I was expecting, but thank you.
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 12:18:51 pm »

i was also hoping that there is something in the repositories that would do what I was looking for. Any such suggestions?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:56:36 pm »

The point was to do some research on your own. As far as something in the repository.
If you did some research then all you would need to do is search the repo.

Reprap is one on many 3D printers. A CAD program is normally used in
conjunction with 3D printers.

The printer I like and would recommend would be from here:
http://www.3dsystems.com

If you need help with contacting them to get one of these
systems. Calling them would be a good start.

HTH

Bigpaws
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:31:09 am by bigpaws » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 04:39:41 pm »

Since you do not have a 3d printer yet, you may want to familiarize yourself with inkscape. I think it will write to DXF which is the common autocad format. this format can be imported to Openscad later, amoung others likely, which exports to STL format which is used for 3d printing. I believe there is a slackbuild for openscad.

3D generation or printing is still very new and not popular enough to generate interest in application locally I imagine, but is possible, thus the google for you, should you be buying a printer and wanted to get started looking for possible sofware for linux.

Everything Is Relative
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:36:34 pm »

Alright then, how do I go about installing Openscad to VL 7.0 (no installation instructions are given)?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:38:41 pm by Locator » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 08:24:40 pm »

you were looking for applications in the repository that may be relevant to 3d printing, and I think inkscape is available to you. do you own a 3d printer? yes or no.

although I am aware that there is a slack build for the openscad program I have not installed it and can not help you. the information is so you are aware a cad app for slackware exists that exports to STL.

It is reasonable to assume you have no interest in doing your own research or you would already know this and as you do not have a specific 3d printer to trouble shoot or information related to the units requirements, Assistance is of little value.

I will know better next time
Cheers

Everything Is Relative
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 12:40:29 pm »

I have considered purchasing a 3D printer, which is what prompted me to find out what software might be available in order to use one before I made such a purchase.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 04:57:25 pm »

Use the link provided by retired1af as a start to your research and do additional google searches.

available software is relative and you are not looking for anything specific or interested in anything specifically offered.

which printer you choose and what you intend to do with it are important questions to ask yourself.

if you are wanting software that will simply install and make your printer print then research the software and hardware requirements of the printer you are liking to buy.

If you are interested in 3d design and want to design projects to print on 3d printers in general then research 3d design  and software.

one concern of interest may be the availability of 3d scanning under linux. however if the interest is in printing only then concentrate your research there.

as mentioned you may want to familiarize yourself with inkscape, I mentioned  cad software only to remind you that imports would be a requirement but this cad is not necessarily of interest to you and thus the encouragement to do your own research

i was also hoping that there is something in the repositories that would do what I was looking for. Any such suggestions?

What exactly are you looking for?

If you were thinking of buying a makerbot replicator, thing-O-matic, cupcake cnc, reprap machine or generic CNC machine you may find this of interest.

http://replicat.org/start

being also interested in 3d printing I did download replicatorG and ran on a vector beta while testing  and the app opened fine but the graphics on the box are not very good. there are examples included.

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/replicatorGtest.png

You can look at available stl's for download at thingaverse.

http://www.thingiverse.com/

once again a simple google search could get you closer to what you are actually looking for, one can only speculate your interest.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:20:50 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: