VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Vector on netbook? Dell Inspiron 1012  (Read 2258 times)

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
Vector on netbook? Dell Inspiron 1012
« on: October 15, 2013, 10:20:41 am »

Hello.  Recently I bought a used Dell Inspiron 10 mini netbook [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron#Inspiron_1010.2C_1011.2C_1012.2C_1018_.28Inspiron_Mini_10.2F10v.29]1012[/url] (with 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM).  It currently has Ubuntu for netbooks on it.  It works okay, though some network stuff is a little flaky, but it does work.  Still, I prefer VL-7.0.  Would it be wise to try and install VL-7.0 on this netbook, or would it be slow as snails?  And if it would be an okay idea, is there a way to do this via usb, since the netbook does not have a cd/dvd drive?
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Vector on netbook? Dell Inspiron 1012
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 04:18:31 pm »

Short of pure trial and error, my suggestion would be to search for a guide or forum that addresses that specific model.

I do have a netbook that came with a "Starter OS". Found a forum thread where people shared their experiences, tips and suggestions. Useful information, like which key to press to trigger a boot menu and what distro to use, helped me get everything working with little effort.

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 04:36:45 pm »

Everything Is Relative

retired1af

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 04:43:29 pm »

Take an external drive and install VL 7 to that. Boot from the external drive via the netbook to see how it handles things. If it tests OK, then nuke the hard drive and install. :)
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 05:07:53 pm »

with that in mind one could also try the live cd in a usb cd/dvd drive..it will be slower likely than the install but allow you to test the network etc prior to install. my guess is you do not have one available thus the desire to use usb install via thumb
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:10:41 pm by overthere »
Everything Is Relative

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 05:38:41 am »

Start by figuring out how to boot the computer from a flash drive. You may be able to use an SD card in a built-in reader.
From this forum: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/linux/586-booting-sd-card.html
The key to getting it to be recognized as a bootable volume by the BIOS was to ENABLE the "USB BIOS Legacy Support" and "USB Wake Support" parameters in the BIOS Setup Utility (press 2 while restarting.) While you are checking these parameters make sure the device order in the utility's Boot page has the "USB Storage" device ordered ahead of the Hard Drive.

VL7.0-STD-GOLD-LIVE can easily be put on a flash drive with unetbootin. It's a great way to test things out.