VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Hi from New Zealand  (Read 2001 times)

darry1966

Hi from New Zealand
« on: October 19, 2013, 04:03:42 pm »

Hi From New Zealand,

I'm a refugee from Puppy Linux and this community seems nice I'm enjoying Vector Lite.  By the way is 7.1 going to have a light edition?

Darren

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
Re: Hi from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 04:47:43 pm »

You'll get an official answer later on. As the answerer's schedule is irregular and we don't know when he'll be by, I'll take a semi-educated guess.

87% chance of "yes". It can't be configured until STD 7.1 is a bit further along than it is now.

Happy to see you. Out of curiosity, which desktop/window manager did you install?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:49:34 pm by roarde »
Robert
VL 7.1 Light

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 04:49:32 pm »

Welcome  :)
Everything Is Relative

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 08:22:17 pm »

welcome...

I do hope there will be a light version of VL 7.1 :P

darry1966

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 10:44:18 pm »

You'll get an official answer later on. As the answerer's schedule is irregular and we don't know when he'll be by, I'll take a semi-educated guess.

87% chance of "yes". It can't be configured until STD 7.1 is a bit further along than it is now.

Happy to see you. Out of curiosity, which desktop/window manager did you install?

I have JWM which of course I used in Puppy and Icewm and even trying xfce which I like too its hard to decide to be honest.

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 05:20:41 am »

As you've found out, the JWM is "barebones", just as described: a place to start.
If you find yourself trying to decide between IceWM, XFCE, or maybe filling out JWM's config, take a look at lxde/openbox.
If you decide on XFCE, reinstall with 7.0 STD-Gold before you get too far. Nothing's wrong with running it starting from Light, but using it on STD gives you more in common with more people, more help available, more people you can help, so on.
Robert
VL 7.1 Light

rokytnji

• Vectorite
  • Linux Friganeer
    • Yet Another Technology Site
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:50:27 am »

Hi darry1966.

vincent2

• Vectorite
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 06:43:36 am »

keep vector  community informed  on  awkward 3G 4G  availabilities and  snail speed of internet in nZ.

darry1966

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 11:09:49 pm »

With a Government like ours any rollout of high speed broadband is going to be slower than watching a flash video with dial up