VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 12:47:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Style  (Read 5491 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: October 21, 2013, 06:28:03 pm »

There are lots of distro's that use the xfce desktop environment. google xfce4 desktops and they all look pretty much the same and use the same basic applications. What makes Vector worth a closer look..perhaps its unique style.

Here is a V shaped desktop created especially for vector linux.

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/VL7149.png

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/VLbo49b.png

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/VLbo49c.png

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/VLbo49d.png

It makes Vector unique and perhaps worth a closer look.

It is easy to use and easily customized

One click to the forum offers easy access to the community, add additional links and/or pysol

Settings next to the file manager and terminal ease basic setup and alteration

This also make assistance easier ie a user wants to change the wallpaper and is told to click the arrow next to the file manager and discovers all the settings they need rather than the daunting task of finding them on the extensive settings menu.

Ok..So why is it a bad idea?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:58:15 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:49:48 pm »

This matter is up to those far wiser than I.

But, for what its worth, here's my desktop. (Assumes I know how to do this)

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:27:41 am »

Sledgehammer..  I like that you removed the button labels for open applications, space saving, and looks great.

As regards default desktops, it is without question in the hands of others, however one of the means of standing out in a crowd is a good looking easy to use desktop that can not readily be compared to others.

However it is possible that no one cares about it or it is not possible to create such a desktop from xfce and thus it is not a means of getting the word out.

Thanks for adding to the possibilities, even if just user fun.

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 03:27:17 pm »

Ok..So why is it a bad idea?

Well..lol...for one, I created it, two I posted it, thats two good reasons it's a bad idea

you would think after several years I would get it through my head that unless someone posts a question I actually have an answer for, which is rarely... shutit.. but Noooo.

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 02:24:48 am »

Back to the desktop..I feel that windows users who switch to linux are not interested in a desktop that looks like windows, in fact for me it was a bit of a turn off. What they want is to be able to use their files and documents and find applications that are easy to use or to use the applications they are use to using.

It helps if the desktop is intuitive and does not get in the way. although my efforts may have drawbacks I believe that the double click icons of the nineties have given way to one click launchers. those who use tablets and phones would feel more at home. especially those who have grown up with out a desktop and are now ready to do some more serious computer work or play. unlike windows 8 or ubuntu, this use of xfce is both familiar and modern, offering a go between to the shifting interfaces of our times while staying true the unique offerings of linux.

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 09:49:58 pm »

I know what a lot of readers, and there are not very many, are thinking...you are thinking what a noob, this user cutomizes the default desktop and now he thinks the developers should use it as default, how many times have I heard that in noob land.

The answer to that is YES, unless vector has something better hiding away it may be a good idea. the last desktop was mundane and showed little effort. although I liked that it could look like mac or windows fairly easily so can something a little more original. If I wait until the release to say so then I am told I should have mentioned it during bata testing.

If I mention it prior I am insulting the developers ability to generate something outstanding. I imagine any reviewer would love to review something differant in the torturous mundane landscape that is linux desktops.

Although it has the ability to be very unique no one has the pair to do it fearing windows converts may not like it.

The reality is I am wasting my efforts, readers time and my time typing this crap. I like vector but no more sharing and best of luck with the new release.

And just so you know, I am not suggesting my efforts are the end all, I am just willing to put my money where my mouth is and defend it.

as I said before it is likely no one cares about it and I am now converted. Wink

Everything Is Relative
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:13:56 pm »

Overthere,

All of us care.  And, though I can't speak for others, I prefer your desktop.  Nonetheless, there are a lot of experts involved with this business and there are lots of matters that have to be considered.  For one, would adopting your desktop keep Vector forever at the 7 level? What would it look like if and when Vector 8 comes around?  Though your desktop is great, so is the one on pre-beta release 49.  You have made your points and have made them well.  But the decision is not ours and those who make these decisions have done a bang-up job.  Whatever they come up with will be great.  And if they don't pick yours, I can always change it and put yours up.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 01:11:54 am »

Sledgehammer.. I agree with everything except your comment that it would be forever 7.

The V shaped design means it would be vector forever possibly.

I added the wallpapers so as not to give away the default, beautiful splash and wallpaper. this desktop looks nice with the default but is exemplified by the V7 which could be modified,  I had thought perhaps the included beta paper was designed for the 64 bit or soho..if it is for std then one can only imagine what is to come.

This has less to do with me and more to do with the possibility of style impacting the reviews , to repeat, I am simply putting my money where my mouth is. I should care less and now do.

evidently you do not even see the desktop design. perhaps it is a lingo issue, again I care less.

You are certainly free to do as you wish with the wallpaper I have submitted, the size renders them trash as much as the artistic work but I do like the v7 concept and will likely continue to use it for V7.

cheers
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:28:23 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 03:10:14 am »

Where I come from, we have a saying that translates into something like "disputing taste and preferences is pointless".  Cheesy

It's all good to let people know what you like though. I prefer a solid color as my background. I can have it that way, and there are many more examples where Linux lets me have it "my way".
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 03:32:25 am »

I think the important line is

"there are a lot of experts involved with this business"

arrogance in position does not produce quality product

I did not create the forum topic I simply responded to it.

If style is irrelevant why use a graphical user interface at all, a terminal would do just fine.

If one were to create a gui that was customizable, it's value would be flexibility in application.

evidently xfce was customized in the release of vector 7

I am not disputing anyones personal taste but the value of desktop style in linux distributions.

the reality is vector is a business and will do what it wants when it wants , posting anything is as you say irrelevant or pointless

I think it is time to format this hard drive and move along.

Everything Is Relative
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 06:22:47 am »

Overthere:

I've been following this thread with a bit of interest and would like to add my 2 cents.

I had to be dragged into Win3.1 "kicking and screaming" just to be able to get my new printer to work.  Then, with my work, had to learn Win95, which added useful functionality (networking), and followed with Win98 and NT.  During this time, I tried Linux without success.  Patrick finally told me that "Yes, it would run in 8 megs but it needs more to install." and that stopped my trials until I finally got a PC with more ram when I found Vector 5.9.

I like the 9x desktop for two major reasons:  I learned how to use it so it became easy for me to do what I wanted and I'm a graphical illiterate - I can't draw a straight line even with a ruler!  And I still need the labels on the pictographs!

I do like the V7 desktops that both of you posted.  My big problem with the current Vector 7 is the dark desktop with dark letters that are difficult for my 'mature' eyes to make out.  And it had some eye-candy that insisted on jumping over what I was trying to do destroying my train of thought. (It's an extremely narrow gauge railroad!)

I had tried changing the desktop in Win9x but the differences were more than I cared to try to learn.  So far, it appears that changing the desktop in XFCE requires significant under-the-hood work.  Even in my programming efforts, I have been unable to access the screen except in a tui (terminal)

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 06:45:02 am »

posting anything is as you say irrelevant or pointless

Ouch. That is not what I meant. Big difference between posting and disputing. Disagreeing without hurting feelings can be a challenge, but open discussions can be very productive, so we should keep trying.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 04:29:02 pm »

Wow..I can only hope someone eventually, actually, reads this thread and has the intelligence to understand it and finds it as amusing as I do.

As you say, subtle means of telling someone to move along is difficult but you have done well.

I had vector light, std and the std beta now I have lots of storage

Everything Is Relative
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 07:57:47 pm »

Overthere,

For those of us wanting sufficient intelligence to understand this thread, but desiring to do so, it would be kind of you to explain your concerns in a bit more detail.

John

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 10:16:16 pm »

Yes sledgehammer...one of the common means of telling a poster to move along is to side step any communication regarding the post and rather make comments regarding random words in a post that propel further comment until the original poster is discouraged and moves along, much like the classic chatbot eliza. this is also used by moderators who have no good answer but want the poster to linger until someone else can help. although effective as an original response it has an opposite effect with continued use.

I have no concerns to explain, If you are capable of reading and understanding what you read the post is rather self explanatory at this point. I expect if not then this is the added tactic of generating argument in the hope of having me banned from further posting.

no need I have volunteered to stop sharing as it is of no value in diversion for others and vector does not have interest in such things.

If you actually do not understand perhaps you are simply preoccupied to the point you can not grasp concepts that do not readily apply to the occupation. I suggest you take the first opportunity to relax and choose a diversion that requires no particular reasoning, perhaps a comedy.

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: