VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 12:15:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: We should talk  (Read 995 times)
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« on: October 21, 2013, 09:31:47 pm »

Our forum is the best place to ask and answer questions, or just to generally share and communicate.

But some things are just better in real time. Many have a reluctance to use IRC for this that I'd have to call "severe".
So what's another option for dealing with help issues or just talking in real time?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:09:11 pm »

Well...I can understand peoples reluctance to using IRC chat..for one thing they would need an application to connect and an understanding of irc....getting help may be as much a problem as the existing issue.

I opened hexchat and attempted to connect to a vector channel and did manage to find what appeared to be a connection, could see other forum members but did not see any conversation and saying hello got no response so guess it is an invitation thing or I failed to fully connect.

There is instant messageing and voip but again it would have to be available to the individuals in question.

The forum is available to anyone with access to a browser, it looks like a one on one is limited to what one has available to them and is willing to use as means of exchange

Everything Is Relative
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:14:39 pm »

I opened hexchat and attempted to connect to a vector channel and did manage to find what appeared to be a connection, could see other forum members but did not see any conversation and saying hello got no response so guess it is an invitation thing or I failed to fully connect.
What you describe is pretty much normal functioning of the channel, so hexchat's working for ya. Several people idle to keep the channel alive, but nothing much in the way of conversation. That would be the other thing that prompted this thread.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:32:46 pm »

It is unfortunate but most likely due to slow traffic and a tight crew busy with the development of a new release.

So no time to chat and generate new ideas. if the channel is open it will likely pick up nearer release. in the mean time queries would likely be fielded here.

The normal lull as I recall, if your interested in posting your thoughts on desktop interface designs for linux Im all eyes.

It is unfortunate in my mind that linux desktops attempt to appeal to windows and osx converts by way of looking like them rather than presenting a unique linux style that is easy to use.

This of course has little to do with one on one communications but my current thoughts where linux is concerned. Smiley

Everything Is Relative
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 06:09:28 am »

The channel is always open. Someone is always lurking, however since it is a slow
channel it maybe time before someone answers. There have been several times
someone joined asked a question and in under 10 min without a response they
left. There is no easy answer. Even in large channels there are times that it takes
10 min or more for a response. If anyone wants to join feel free to come on over.

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: