VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 07:28:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New 7.1 RC installation cannot find network  (Read 530 times)
Grandpa_mobile

« on: May 02, 2014, 12:19:39 pm »

I just downloaded and installed Vector 7.1 RC to my older HP NC6400 laptop.  The installation went smoothly, until it hung up while trying to install lilo.

I shut the laptop down, rebooted into Puppy Linux Slacko, and used Grub4dos to configure the bootup process.

The system then booted into Vector with the message that wifi was disconnecting. I'm using a Samsung tablet as a wifi hotspot, and the 'vector' hostname showed as connected until that warning message appeared.

I found the connection service on the menu, but there doesn't appear to be any way to discover a network.  This same laptop connects fine with Puppy Slacko.

Any thoughts.  Thanks.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:41:23 pm »

If you right mouse click on the networking icon in your menu bar, is "Enable Wireless" checked?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Grandpa_mobile

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 03:21:47 pm »

Thanks for responding.

Wireless was not checked. so I enabled it, but there is still no tool to search for available networks.

Do I have to enter everything manually.  And what happenes to wicd in 7.0, it always worked for me.

On the positive side. 7.1 looks great.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 05:35:59 pm »

Just so you know, you can boot from the install cd.

Instead of enter when the cd reaches the prompt read the screen, you have option to type the appropriate partition to boot ie: linux root=/dev sdx ro.

Also during install choose grub as the boot loader and install to mbr.

The wifi should post a not connected message and if you left click the wifi icon should show available networks to connect to. right click gives option to toggle off etc.

Everything Is Relative
Grandpa_mobile

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:52:31 pm »

Thanks so much.  I was able to get online.

The Network app did not show my network.  It said that I had a hidden network, and I had to type the full network name and choose the encryption type.  It doesn't seem like this would work at a public wifi location.

My tablet/wifi hotspot shows up on Winxp, Win7, and mobile Apple devices.

I'll go to a public wifi location tomorrow to see if I can see any networks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: