VectorLinux
September 15, 2014, 08:32:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: noisy computer driving me nuts!  (Read 9844 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: October 30, 2013, 01:59:45 pm »

I have an older Pentium IV computer that I got cheap.  Since I run a webserver from it, I have it on most of the time.  But it's so noisy.  Truly starting to irritate me.  Are other people's computers this noisy?

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 03:02:14 pm »

Replace the cooling fans with something newer and quieter.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 05:31:42 pm »

P4's do use a lot of power and run hot. When I had one I went to great lengths to quiet it, using an aftermarket heatsink and big, slow turning fans. You may get away by just using the current heatsink and aiming a 120mm fan at it. If it needs more, add baffles and direct all the air flow through the heatsink. Cardboard from cereal boxes and duct tape works wonders.  Grin
rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:58:21 am »

I am thinking of cutting out the side panel on my emachine and glue some home made frames for case filters to quiet it's cpu tornado fan down a bit. I think the metal amplifies the sound a bit and the filters will quiet down and absorb the noise a bit. Plus filter out the desert dust I live in.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:02:17 am by rokytnji » Logged

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:16:23 am »

Mark,

Depending on your set up, and assuming your P-4 is a desktop, what I have done is disconnect the noisy computer fan, take off the side panel, and put small table-top Wal Mart type fan pointed to blow into the computer.  Since you have it on all the time, no need to constantly turn the fan on and off. Being a bachelor, I can be as messy as I want. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:31:18 am »

The filters are a good idea to keep dust out, but I don't think it will do much for the sound. As Sledgehammer indicates, it is usually the high-revving CPU fan that produces the most noise.

Speaking of dust, though.. make sure the heatsink is not clogged up. If it is, the CPU will heat up and kick the fan into "turbine airplane take-off mode".
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:54:00 am »

I checked to see if there was dust on the fans, and there's not.  They seem relatively clean.  Generally the noise is average from the fans, but sometimes there's extra noise that's very loud.  I now believe this is the hard drive.  I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about this.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 01:11:18 pm »

If your hard drive is that loud, it's time to back up your data and get a replacement drive on order!

I have two WD Scorpio Black drives (7200rpm) in my notebook and you can't even hear 'em.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 01:18:44 pm »

You can often take the fan off the heat sink to clean the fins, I use a drinking straw and the vacuum,

place the straw between your thumb and finger and place the other end between your first two fingers over the hose this will allow control back and forth with out loss of suction or losing the straw to the vacuum. sometimes the dust in the fins of the heat sinks does not look like much but makes a differance.

If uncertain which fans are making the most noise you can unplug the box fans with the side off and see if it is the heat sink fan or hd fan.

as mentioned they are replacable new or used. one of mine is quiet if I press litely on it to put it back in place but spins back out and is noisy, you can test and see if the bearings are going.some fans are just noisey

If you do not know who did what it may be that the sink was removed and the paste not replaced and seated so the sink is not doing its job.

You could just crank some music and distract your attension aswell one of my tricks
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:23:59 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 02:29:43 pm »

Remove all fans from their mounts.
On one side of each fan, there is usually a stick-on label. Peel those back just enough to access the small hub in the center -- so slightly more than halfway.
One drop of oil in each fan's hub. Motor oil is best, 3-in-One if you must. WD-40 and kin are useless for this.
Re-adhere label as much as possible.
Remount and test.

It would be very unusual to have even a failing HD which is that loud.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Joncho

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 05:04:08 pm »

Did you check the power supply fan? those little #@&%*! can get to be really noisy too.
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 07:38:16 am »

Remove all fans from their mounts.
On one side of each fan, there is usually a stick-on label. Peel those back just enough to access the small hub in the center -- so slightly more than halfway.
One drop of oil in each fan's hub. Motor oil is best, 3-in-One if you must. WD-40 and kin are useless for this.
Re-adhere label as much as possible.
Remount and test.

It would be very unusual to have even a failing HD which is that loud.

Thank, I'll try this and see.  I'll also try the vacuum/straw idea.

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 03:33:22 pm »

Well, I finally got around to trying both the straw/vacuum idea and the put a drop of oil on the hub of each fan idea.  Seems quieter so far, but I'll see if that will last.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 11:03:30 pm »

Canadians are a stubborn lot.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 06:13:53 pm »

Some of us, yes.  Anyway, I did finally get another computer.  So, I'm going to set it up.  Hopefully it will be quieter.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: