VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 03:05:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation failure on VL7  (Read 2105 times)
Kimdino

« on: October 20, 2013, 04:08:51 pm »

Hi folks,
I have been trying to install VL7.0 but have been getting lots of problems. I have tried with Vlocity 64, SOHO & STD-Gold and in all cases the graphical installer failed as follows.
I pressed enter at the CDs boot prompt with no additional parameters. The CD would then proceed to boot with no problem up to the point of setting up X, where the system would show the following:
Checking X window availability                [OK]
logging in as root

I then had a blank screen for a few seconds until it dropped back to a text screen where an init 6 command was being issued and the system would reboot. I attempted this with several monitor selections including Full auto with no xorg.conf, auto with xorg.conf, highest res, 1600 res, 1024 res & 800x600 res, all gave the same result. My graphics card is an Asus nVidia GT630 & my monitor is an AOC 2450W capable of 1920x1080 res. Initial attempts were with the monitor connected by HDMI. In the past I have seen problems with the system failing to interrogate the monitor on HDMI which were solved by using the DSub connection, so I reconnected the monitor on DSub but had exactly the same results.

On trying to install SOHO using the ncurses installer the installation appears to go well until I am asked to select my keyboard. Though I select UK the system appears to retain the default (US?) setting, I have tried with several other country setting but the default is always retained. Anyway I continued and all appeared to go well until the final configuration when I am again asked for my desired keyboard setting. At this point the system throws up an error saying that 'Cannot find X11 keymap list'. Pressing enter brings up 'Configuration has not finished. Are you sure you want to quit now?". Selecting 'No' return me to the 'Cannot find X11 keymap list' message while 'Yes' warns me that that I have a bad setup but it will try the reboot. At this point I have popped up another terminal to have a look at the installation. I discovered the all the init level (i.e. rcx.d) directories were empty. On one occasion I ran 'vasm' from this terminal but was unable to get the system to reboot into a usable state.

I am able to successfully install VLocity using the ncurses installer but this is no good to me as I need full 32bit support. I had the same problem selecting my country but the installation continued and allowed me to setup the system to a healthy state, whereupon I set my region using KDEs regionalisation settings.

Re. the installation of SOHO - I am also suspicious that only disc 1 was used. Prior nosing around the internet indicated that disc2 would be called for at some stage but this was never the case?

I also tried installing my old, and much loved, VL6.0 Classic. No problems here - it's just a shame it can't pick up my RAID partitions or run modern software. My hardware isn't the simplest setup but the VL6.0 installation managed it fine.

Video card: nVidia GT630,  CPU Phenom x 4,
My mobo, Gigabyte 790FX, has 6 SATA slots.  The first three have 1TB Seagate drives attached, these are connected in RAID5 using 'md' and carry Debian Wheezy. The 4th slot carries a BlueRay writer. The 5th slot has another 1TB drive, this is the one to which I am trying to install VL7.0. The mobo will only boot from the first four slots, but not the installation. So I am not using VLs boot setup but, instead using the Grub2 on the Debian installation (i.e./dev/md0) to boot VL. This system was tested and proved to work, though the above problems do not allow a definite answer from VL7.0 it worked great using VL6.0.

Could anyone help me overcome enough of the above problems to get a working setup.

Thanks in advance, Kimdino
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:25:14 am by Kimdino » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:39:25 pm »

When I installed the VL-std 32bit version I typed gui noapic prior to enter to get the installer to run..perhaps install with us keyboard and change after install. then add what you like from the repository

Everything Is Relative
Kimdino

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 03:35:46 am »

Hi overthere,
I have noticed where I believe I can stop the keymap setup during the config. I will try this.

However, there does appear to be problems with the installers. I'd like, if possible, to help solve the problems rather than just sidestep them. With this in mind can anyone:-
(i) point me to where the X11 keymap list might live
 and
(ii) is there a way I can access the 'Xorg.0.log' file so that I can see what might be going wrong with the graphical installer.

Cheers, Kimdino
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 12:28:11 pm »

You have an unusual configuration, do other installers have issue as well.

there is a new 7.1 beta project being tested perhaps you may help test it when the next release is posted for testing
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=17857.0
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:33:33 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:53:17 pm »

However, there does appear to be problems with the installers. I'd like, if possible, to help solve the problems rather than just sidestep them.
An admirable idea, much appreciated here! But that installer has been abandoned in favor of the brand new one in 7.1. So I'd say if you want and can get 7.0 up just for yourself, take the easy way this time. Help is very much needed all the way around, but overthere's suggestion is a good one if you want to do more with installer.

With this in mind can anyone:-
(i) point me to where the X11 keymap list might live
 and
(ii) is there a way I can access the 'Xorg.0.log' file so that I can see what might be going wrong with the graphical installer.
(i) /etc/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.lst
(ii) In that installer, I don't know. You can probably get to a terminal somehow. In the new installer, right-click on desktop for menu. Whether installation or installer, /var/log/Xor.g0.log.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: