VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 04:09:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: playing wma files  (Read 2331 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« on: November 09, 2013, 12:37:49 am »

A friend has a large collection of WMA music files, his computer is the usual mess that people get with Windows - runs like a slug through treacle.... my only real obstacle in converting the machine to Linux is playing these files.  Any idea of the best program to do so or what codecs I have to include and how?
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 12:54:35 am »

I have a couple of wma music files in my samples folder, on bo50 32 bit I can play them in gmplayer. not sure about current VL7

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 04:35:34 am »

I almost exclusively use vlc for media files.

VLC can be compiled in different ways, some packages exclude contested codecs. I noticed a difference between the VL7.0 package, which is 7.6 MB, and the one from alienbob, that is 23 MB: http://slackware.org.uk/people/alien/restricted_slackbuilds/vlc/pkg/13.37/ In my experience, the larger package handles more formats.

Of course, if the wma files are locked down by windows, they will only play on the particular windows installation used to encrypt them, on that particular computer, no matter what player you use.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 06:11:56 am »

Thanks for that, most instructive.... can they be converted into a readable format?

I can get them "played" with VLC - which pops up an album cover and works its way through the track but with no sound.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 06:51:08 am »

I take it this is VLC on windows? If VLC plays other media, like mp3, but not the wma's, then they are most likely encrypted. Try copying a wma file and play it on another windows machine. If that works then a conversion should not be too hard.

If the files are locked, do a web search for "convert drm wma to mp3".
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 07:54:57 am »

No on Vector
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 09:33:06 am »

When playing in vlc, what do you see under Tools > Codec information ?
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 01:19:32 pm »

the wma music files I have also play in mplayer on V7-light..but not vlc. could wine be of use

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 02:50:09 pm »

I would definitely recommend trying out the vlc package from alienbob. You can always revert to the original one using gslapt.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 03:21:52 pm »

interesting issue..google suggests conversion on windows..couple of links I viewed that may be of interest

http://undrm.info/remove-DRM-protection/

http://stream-recorder.com/forum/watch-listen-drm-protected-windows-media-wmv-t1956.html?t=1956

the vlc package sounds good

Everything Is Relative
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 02:59:09 am »

When playing in vlc, what do you see under Tools > Codec information ?

Windows media audio 2 (WMA2)

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 04:21:44 am »

Next step should be plain ol' trial and error then. It is best if you can avoid converting the files, as there is always some loss of quality in the process.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 02:33:36 pm »

I'm testing out the new 7.1 pre-beta release, and tried playing some files in vlc. It is as described above; it looks like it's playing, but no sound. Removed the VL vlc package and installed the one from alienbob. Now I get sound.
Malcolmx86

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 12:25:54 am »

I use VLC 2.0.1 and it plays WMA . There are several choices to install VLC , but I have 2.0.1 .
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 10:06:01 am »

How do you know if your ".wma" files are DRM?
Right click on the music file that you want to see contains DRM. Select Properties and then click on the Summary tab and select "Advanced >>" at the bottom. You will get an advanced summary page, look at the list to where it says Origin, if Protected = Yes, your music file is DRM. If Protected = No, your music file is not DRM.

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: