VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 04:27:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: linux addict  (Read 2005 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: November 16, 2013, 10:10:59 pm »

I gotta say I am rather excited about the upcoming release of Vector 7.1 beta.

A previous fluxbox fan I am really impressed with xfce this time.

..really looking forward to it.

Everything Is Relative
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 05:36:12 pm »

I second that Smiley
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:54:21 am »

I had some time on my hands so downloaded a half dozen or so distros to compare to the pre beta of vector 7.1.
 On this old box Vector pre beta is better than a half dozen released distros on the distrowatch 100.
 Vector connects easily, is customizable, runs well on under a gig of ram, plays my media, and includes fluxbox and awesome

mint is slow on this box and less customizable,
 elementary would not give me a desktop but has a nice wallpaper,
 lite allowed me to customize but would not play my media,
 salix would not connect,
 solydx was nice live but installed lost the desktop icons and became unstable,
 xubuntu was.. well ubuntu,
 archbang was to simplistic but worked well,
 gnewsense could not get connected.

Each had a few issues on this old box as does vector but 7.1 is pre beta and the others are released and higher on the chart. just goes to prove the listing is relative.

although a quick test for ease of connectivity, ability to do a similar customization, ability to play sample media, and general stability during, vector won this round.

Still looking forward to the Official Beta release.

Everything Is Relative
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 11:27:42 am »

Nice Wink
I'm sure the final product will only be better.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 01:05:15 am »

VL7.1 beta 32b with xfce using xwinwrap to run anemone screensaver as the background

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/anemone.png

install xwinwrap via gslapt and in the application finder launch command or in a terminal type:

xwinwrap -ni -argb -fs -s -st -sp -nf -b -- /usr/libexec/xscreensaver/anemone -window-id WID

To terminate close the terminal or type, killall xwinwrap, in the application finder
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 08:01:22 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 08:32:06 pm »

For those who are testing out fluxbox on 7.1 beta 32, or fluxbox in general, here is some handy code to spiff up the desktop

first add feh from the package manager (for setting walls)

then open the file manager click view/show hidden files

then open .fluxbox and right click on "menu" item and open with leafpad or a text editor of choice.

scroll down to the line below:

[submenu] (fluxbox menu)

click at the end of the line to place cursor and click enter to make a free line and copy paste the code below

Code:
[exec] (Menu Config) {leafpad /home/someone/.fluxbox/menu}
[submenu] (screen blank+)
      [exec] (screen blank off) {xset -dpms & xset s off}
      [exec] (screen blank on) {xset +dpms & xset s on}
       [separator]

[exec] (rocks on) {/usr/libexec/xscreensaver/rocks -root &}
      [exec] (rocks off) {killall rocks & fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/VL-Seven-V2.png}
       [separator]
        [exec] (attraction ON) {/usr/libexec/xscreensaver/attraction -root &}
        [exec] (attraction OFF) {killall attraction & fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/VL-Seven-V2.png}
       [separator]
        [exec] (XRaySwarm ON) {/usr/libexec/xscreensaver/xrayswarm -root &}
        [exec] (XRaySwarm OFF) {killall xrayswarm & fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/VL-Seven-V2.png}
       [separator]
        [exec] (blaster ON) {/usr/libexec/xscreensaver/blaster -root &}
        [exec] (blaster OFF) {killall blaster & fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/VL-Seven-V2.png}
      [separator]
[end]
[submenu] (wallpaper changer)
[exec] (AloneIsWhenYouAreShining){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/AloneIsWhenYouAreShining.jpg}
[exec] (AloneIsWhenYouAreShiningBW){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/AloneIsWhenYouAreShiningBW.jpg}
[exec] (blue-neon-mushrooms-3d-image){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/blue-neon-mushrooms-3d-image.jpg}
[od3.jpgexec] (ClawingV){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/ClawingV.jpg}
[exec] (Engagement){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/Engagement.jpg}
[exec] (Grassy){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/Grassy.jpg}
[exec] (InTheWood2){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/InTheWood2.jpg}
[exec] (InTheWood3){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/InTheWood3.jpg}
[exec] (MistyForest){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/MistyForest.jpg}
[exec] (StunningVL){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/StunningVL.jpg}
[exec] (VL-Gridwave3){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/VL-Gridwave3.jpg}
[exec] (VL-RayzWall){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/VL-RayzWall.jpg}
[exec] (VL-Seven-V2){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/VL-Seven-V2.png}
[exec] (VL-Vancouver-Night){fbsetbg /usr/share/wallpapers/VL-Vancouver-Night.jpg}

[end]
[separator]

then look at the first line and change /home/someone/.. with /home/ your user name/..

save the file

then log into fluxbox and right click for the menu

this should offer three new items on the menu as seen here

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/fluxbox1.png

menu config ( opens the menu file in leafpad for edits)

screenblank+ (allows toggle of dpms and screenblank plus toggles for a few screen savers as background which when toggled off sets the wallpaper as the default but you can edit at will.

wallpaper changer ( allows you to set one of the available wallpapers in /usr/share/wallpapers as background

works for me anyway

Everything Is Relative
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 03:34:23 pm »

I gotta say I am rather excited about the upcoming release of Vector 7.1 beta.

A previous fluxbox fan I am really impressed with xfce this time.

..really looking forward to it.
I'm certainly looking forward to it also!   Unfortunately, I'm not a dev,...and can't download and test (still on dialup, alas.)
But I'm a very enthusiastic end-user.  Been using Vector since version 5.9,....and it still works great on my 3 older computers.  Here's to version 7.1 beta.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 04:34:58 pm »

nitehawk..Ya I am still babying the hardware modems with the rockwell chipsets I used on 5.9, another reason to love Vector. I noted that the chestnut dialer is in the repository for 7.1, I installed the package and it appears fine to but am currently on cable so cannot test it out. Cheers to another great one in the works.

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 07:09:24 pm »

I thought someone may find this boot manager of interest.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/plpbt.bin.html

Have it on both cd and floppy but it offers additional functionality. I am using it to boot Vector beta from a third partition, with loader to the partition, it does not effect the current install and loader. The bios does not offer the option on this old unit. I also use it on an older unit to boot the usb port and run a portable os as it does not have the option to boot usb and has no hard drive. Anyway, I found it handy.

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 01:40:23 am »

I really like my vector desktop, it seems to be my go to unit.

one reason is its flexability. I just installed mint16 mate on one of the toys and man what a pain..no root..I really had to be on my terminal toes to do anything. vector is so much easier in that regard. I can see the value in the direction but like a little more freedom to mess things up myself personally. and no xmms pkg, I was lost.

Vector is also usually not so dramatic..mint had caja cascades covering the desktop and no stopping the repeats..and I have no idea why. I had to turn it off. so came back to the b1..love that little V button..and...and..right, cheers

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 05:06:36 am »

I thought someone may find this boot manager of interest.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/plpbt.bin.html

Have it on both cd and floppy but it offers additional functionality. I am using it to boot Vector beta from a third partition, with loader to the partition, it does not effect the current install and loader. The bios does not offer the option on this old unit. I also use it on an older unit to boot the usb port and run a portable os as it does not have the option to boot usb and has no hard drive. Anyway, I found it handy.

Thanks for that report. I can see it being really handy for booting from USB drives on older machines.  Smiley
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 10:09:16 pm »

The xfce4-Timer-plugin is a handy addition to the xfce panel (avaiable in the repository for 7.1)

In addition to a count down it can set off an alarm with a command to run option.(note 24h clock)

If you install xmms for example you can put xmms /path/to/playlist.m3u in the command to run box and be alerted with a playlist of music.

The panel item has a toggle to start and stop timers when clicked or right click select properties to set alarms.

The panel item bar indicates time remaining and will show with a touch when alarm is active.

This makes an excellent alarm clock for your xfce desktop.

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 06:12:48 am »

Downloaded SweetHome3D from here

http://www.sweethome3d.com/download.jsp

The first download item is a zip that includes required java. I simply extracted the folder, opened it and double clicked the application. the 3D is sketchy on my low end hardware but did very well and works fine in 2d. worth a look if you like that sort of thing. here is a screenshot

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/sweethome3d.png

It can be moved to /usr/bin/ as root and a launcher created on the user desktop.

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: