VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 05:16:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi from Michigan  (Read 2102 times)
mjstone

« on: November 23, 2013, 06:18:29 am »

I've been using computers since the late seventies, early eighties, starting with Apple IIs and TRS-80s.  Ran the service department of a local computer store for 20 years during the PC boom.  Used Apple DOS, TRSDOS, MS-DOS, CP/M, Macintosh, Windows (2.0 - Vista), OS/2 (2.1 - Warp 4 and eComstation).  I played around a very long time ago with Slackware, but didn't realy have the time to work with it. I made a couple of attempts at Redhat as well.  When some of my OS/2 Boxes started to die my wife passed me down her "old" Gateway laptop.  It's a 2Ghz Intel Core Duo with 4GB Ram and 500GB Hard Drive and of course Windows Vista.  This monster was physically bigger than I could reasonably cart around so when my brother offered me an old HP Mini 1000 Netbook I jumped at it.  So there I was with two machines running windows (yuck).  I downloaded Redhat Fedora 17 (64bit) for the Gateway and set it up as dual boot with Vista.  Worked real well and I rarely use the Vista partition and have since updated to Fedora 19.  

I was experimenting with Fedora 17 live on a SD card with my HP Mini and while it was slow it seemed to work ok with the exception of the WiFi.  The computer only had a 16GB SSD with 1GB Ram, so the drive didn't really have enough room for XP as it was.  Then the SSD crashed on me.  I wanted to upgrade it anyway, so I got a 64GB SSD and upped the ram to 2GB.  The computer saw the Kingspec SSD but wouldn't install anything to it.  Using an adapter I installed it into my old ThinkPad 600 and tried to install XP. Worked ok on the 600 but refused to boot on the HP.  Tried Fedora but the ThinkPad was to slow and low on ram for that to work.  I started looking at Linux distros that worked on Pentium II with low ram and found ConncheatOS, while it worked it was no longer being supported.

Finally I found Vector.  I downloaded the 7.0 Light version. It worked well on the Thinkpad and when I put the SSD back into the HP Mini it booted up just fine.  Vector saw the hardware of the netbook just fine with the exception of the Broadcom WiFi NIC.  No Broadcom drivers worked for me, so I used the NdisWrapper with the XP driver that came with the HP and it works perfectly.  Everything works on the Mini and Vector Linux is very quick and performs many things better than the faster and more powerful Gateway that runs Fedora 19.

I don't know how much I will need your support or how much help I can give others, but I will visit here as often as I can.

MJ
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:26:57 am by mjstone » Logged

HP Mini 1126NR - Intel Atom N270 @1.6Ghz - 2GB Ram - 64GB SSD
  VL7.0 Light  LXDE

IBM ThinkPad 600 - Intel Pentium II @400Mhz - 288MB Ram - 40GB Hard Drive - Cisco Aironet 350
  VL7.0 Light LXDE
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 08:31:43 am »

Welcome MJ,

I enjoyed your story.  Now if we can just get you to stop all this dual-booting business......  This is good, friendly forum.  My suggestion, if you want to help, would be that you load the latest version of 7.1 near-beta on one of your more modern machines and help work out the bugs.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
mjstone

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 09:47:21 am »

Welcome MJ,

I enjoyed your story.  Now if we can just get you to stop all this dual-booting business......  This is good, friendly forum.  My suggestion, if you want to help, would be that you load the latest version of 7.1 near-beta on one of your more modern machines and help work out the bugs.

John
Unfortunately I still have to occasionally have to use Windows, but rarely.  Eventually I will get OS/2 installed on my Mini (a project for the future).  As good as Linux is it can't quite compare with OS/2.  So multiple op-systems will continue to reside on my computers.

From every thing I've read so far it looks to me like this is indeed a very friendly and helpful forum.  I've been thinking seriously of installing Vector on my Gateway (no OS/2 for this machine as it is currently only a 32 bit Op-system ).  Will I dump Fedora? Maybe.

I'm also thinking of doing a Linux -from-Scratch system on my ThinkPad ( can't think of a better way to learn the ins and outs of Linux ).  Yes OS/2 is on that machine as well so it will stay multi-boot.  I think Vector Linux will definitely stay on this machine as well.

MJ

HP Mini 1126NR - Intel Atom N270 @1.6Ghz - 2GB Ram - 64GB SSD
  VL7.0 Light  LXDE

IBM ThinkPad 600 - Intel Pentium II @400Mhz - 288MB Ram - 40GB Hard Drive - Cisco Aironet 350
  VL7.0 Light LXDE
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 09:51:09 am »

Hi MJ, and welcome.

Machines that shipped with Vista seem to be very good candidates for Linux. My laptop came with Vista Basic and it only lasted a few weeks. Now it has several Linux versions installed, mainly for testing.

Make yourself at home and don't be shy about asking questions.  Smiley
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 04:32:30 pm »

hey there MJ, im also from michigan. lived 30-ish years in southwest detroit and finally got on the mass exodus bandwagon and headed north. its great to see another michigander here!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 04:59:46 pm »

Welcome Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: