VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 04:17:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VLocity 7.0 x64: Boot Splash Questions  (Read 3080 times)
Rytz

« on: December 25, 2013, 03:48:18 pm »

Hi:

Running the latest VLocity x64 7.0 release.

Maybe I'm the minority but I prefer a text-based boot so I can see wuzhapnin.  I was finally able to turn off the boot splash by editing "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" and changing the kernel options to include "splash=off":

Code:
linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.22 root=/dev/sda3 ro vga=791 splash=off

This parameter  change was actually a guess on my part.  I've spent the last 2 hours trying to change my bootsplash by altering various files and options in "/etc/default/grub", "/etc/grub.d/", "/boot/grub/grub.cfg", and other places.  I also completely removed any images from "/boot/*" and removed all bootsplash themes from "/etc/bootsplash/*".  No matter what I did, I would either get a "silent" boot splash image (with "splash=silent") or, if I removed the splash parameter altogether, I would get the verbose-style image instead.

While I have the boot graphics acting the way I want, what is the appropriate procedure for changing and removing boot splashes?  My understanding is that "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" is created by options from "/etc/default/grub" and the scripts in "/etc/grub.d/*".  However, it seemed that even when I forced those scripts to use a specific image, it never got loaded.  I always got the standard VLocity verbose splash image ("VLocity/images/bootsplash-1024x768.jpg".

Something else I should mention is that the rules in "/etc/grud.d/" (specifically "10_linux" and "30_os-prober") do "splash=silent", which might overwrite options provided in "/etc/default/grub" (GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT).  I updated these manually but it seems odd that we would make that a permanent option instead of adding it to the default options in "/etc/default/grub".

As a side-question, it seems that splash options (from the kernel) vary from distro-to-distro.  Is the "splash" option specific to the kernel or just passed off to grub2?  Where can I find good documentation on these options?

Thanks.

~ Rytz
Getrb

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 08:10:07 am »

Under /etc/default/grub is where you do custom jobs overriding the scripts.
/etc/grub.d/ is where all the executable scripts are (They are also editable, only then you´d have to edit all of them.)

grub.cfg is a product of /etc/grub.d/scripts and "custom" /etc/default/grub
Therefore editing grub.cfg seams the wrong way to go.

And once you have made the changes, theres also a need to tell Grub2 that.
It can be done by either issuing for example:
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
or
Code:
grub-update

If you want to learn more id take a look at http://dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html
Rytz

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 11:35:58 am »

I agree that editing "grub.cfg" directly is the wrong way to go.  I was using this approach for testing.

I knew about "grub-mkconfig" generating the "grub.cfg" template from the scripts and settings mentioned above, but I never ran "grub2-mkconfig" or "grub-update".  Maybe these offer something different, unless grub-mkconfig is just a link to the grub2 version.

My main concerns are:
[1] "splash=silent" is hardcoded in the "/etc/grud.d/" scripts, instead of being a default option in "/etc/default/grub" using GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.  In the default install, even if I add "splash=off" manually, "splash=silent" will still be appended to the kernel options.

[2] Changing bootsplash or theme settings don't seem to have an effect.  I completely removed all bootsplash images and theme files from "/etc/bootsplash" and "/boot" but there seems to be a default VLocity image built in to the kernel or bootloading process somehow.

Is official documentation available for kernel parameters? I'd like to get more information on how the option "splash" is applied.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:37:45 am by Rytz » Logged

~ Rytz
Getrb

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:33:56 pm »

About grub and grub2 there are still plenty off users on old software using grub.
And therefore using a command for essentially another program aint gonna work... is my guess.

Looking for previous posts in this forum i stumbled upon the use of VASM and so...
Though i would just add it to bootparameters in the scripts splash=off or splash=silent or nosplash
As you stated if Grub cant find the image it will automatically switch off..

But for sure you want to separate grub and grub2.
grub-update might be the only command that works the same.

Because i dont have VL installed for the moment i cant guide you all the way through. (Crashes)
Here´s a couple of links although VL seems to prefer Lilo over Grub.
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=9610.0;wap2
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=3135.0
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=grub2+splash+site%3Aforum.vectorlinux.com
Rytz

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 12:54:34 pm »

Getrb:
With this laptop, I originally tried to use LILO but had issues with the VLocity installer because it's a triple-boot (OSX, Linux, Windows).  The only way I could seem to get it to work was with GRUB.

Also, I think you might be confused about the default behavior of GRUB.  Even with all images and theme files removed, I would still get a bootsplash (VLocity).  The only way I could a change to the bootsplash was with "splash=off".

~ Rytz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: