VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 11:38:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: need help getting wireless network up and running on Acer Aspire One  (Read 4494 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 09:57:37 am »

Looks to me like the b43 module is loading, but not activating the card. I think this can be solved using some low level commands. You would need to be willing to do some experimenting. Viewing it as a fun learning exercise is a good way of approaching it. Are you familiar and comfortable with copying and pasting commands into a terminal window?
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 01:11:02 pm »

mine has a little switch on the front right to toggle the wireless on and off..is it possible..

Everything Is Relative
radioop

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 03:46:09 pm »

Everyone is overlooking something: running the machine off of VL live cd-rom the wireless adaptor worked fine, after installing VL Soho it did not work.
So apparently it's not a hardware or driver problem.
How would I check to see what was done differently between the live version and the full install?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 05:35:43 pm »

There is difference between live and install DVD.

There is also possibly firmware changes as well.

Bigpaws
radioop

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 05:21:34 am »

Looks to me like the b43 module is loading, but not activating the card. I think this can be solved using some low level commands. You would need to be willing to do some experimenting. Viewing it as a fun learning exercise is a good way of approaching it. Are you familiar and comfortable with copying and pasting commands into a terminal window?
Yes, I can do that
radioop

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 05:22:28 am »

mine has a little switch on the front right to toggle the wireless on and off..is it possible..
No switch on this machine
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 06:25:28 am »

Yes, I can do that

Okay, you're now entering the geek zone.  Smiley Broadcom chips have been a source of trouble for a long time, but people are figuring things out. What you need to do first is to identify your device, then force the proper module to load, It will take some trial and error.

This page has a lot of good information, and would be a good place to start:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless

Disregard entries about compiling kernel and installing aur packages.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: