VectorLinux
July 26, 2014, 02:57:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Howto search this forum the smart way! Using Duckduckgo.  (Read 2197 times)
Getrb

« on: December 16, 2013, 07:50:31 am »

By choosing the right Search-engines, you do not get traced, commercialized and/or possible prosecuted in the future for whatever you like to view or search for.
In short the freedom we all expect and of course encrypted.

This is howto search for something on this site, by using https://duckduckgo.com/
Code:
The question site:forum.vectorlinux.com
Just type it in the searchform.

Another way
Code:
The question !forum.vectorlinux.com
This will give a wider result.
And from there you can click on the site you want results from.
The first site will be forum.vectorlinux.com

https://duckduckgo.com/about For more info.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:52:19 am »

Thanks Getrb, and welcome back to the forum.

Do you know whether duckduckgo is more secure for such searches than google incognito?  Only thing I don't like about duckduckgo is that it may be a little too cozy with Bing.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Getrb

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 12:27:30 pm »

Do you know whether duckduckgo is more secure for such searches than google incognito?  Only thing I don't like about duckduckgo is that it may be a little too cozy with Bing.
I'm not so knowledgeable about that. (But very interested.)
The way I see it is; There's open structure community behind the search engine. http://duckduckhack.com/
And the ethic and moral statement's are core-values they strive from. (Which i share.)

For a fact you can assume that everything you do and write on Google, Bing, Yahoo and so on are under direct access from NSA, FRA and so on.
So does it help to have an incognito-option on Google? I wouldn't think so. (In fact those accounts might even be priority-cases.)

And i'm not arguing that duckduckgo is uncrackable, however they are at-least trying to protect your integrity.
That being said. I think there's going to have to be a serious work-trough in the opensource community.
With focus on how security-encryptions are integrated in all internet software. SSL and such just doesn't cut it anymore.

The security i believe starts at home base nobody, not even your ISP should have any records of you/ know who you are.
How much encryption is needed to guarantee avoid cracking the following 10 years?
All i see from governments all around the world is ass-kissing big-brother NSA. That in itself tells the intelligent mind, they are in bed together!
Maybe not voluntarily, but sure as h*ll in bed. The only unknowing reaction ive seen so far is from Brazil, the only country saying wtf.

To summarize ive even fund that the Linux-kernel could easily be compromised by such large volumes of non-free code and NSA-pressure.
Therefore if like in Win and Mac. There are ways to go in through the kernel, the security is totally absent.

Alot of views thought id say important aspects, for the freedom of people around the world and internet-future.
And from negative to positive...

Thank'u for the welcoming =)
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 03:10:19 pm »

The <question> !forum.vectorlinux.com version doesn't work as one would expect. I think there's some confusion here about ddg's !bang syntax.
The first option you listed produces decent output now and is the least-tracked way I know of to do a forum search.

I like the results from the "search" item on the menu bar under the forum header. It passes page information to Google so that "relevant" ads can be served, just as the forum itself does. Otherwise, I don't detect much information being passed. There's a lot I can see in "real time" that others might miss: Slow connection, so the browser and, if asked, other sources post info while they're waiting for something to do. I have time to read it; someone with a faster connection wouldn't.

I've never been a fan of the forum's search box in any way. Slow, irrelevant, and an output format that's harder to deal with. Also, it calls Google tracking slightly more often than normal forum activity or search from menu bar does. No idea why -- ads aren't served.

Now to what we should break into another thread for. I'll be brief.
"Google incognito", whether you're talking about the option in Chrome, or feeding "pws=0" to Google Search, still passes a good bit of info to Google.
DuckDuckGo is more private, all the way around. But in either case, remember that you're searching for sites to visit, this forum included. So once you've left the search engine's site, it's all the same. It's your browser setup that's more important.

Now, we like visiting the forum "for free", right? Keep those relevant ads coming, and if you want it, please click through.

I am interested in this "cozy with Bing" thing (?), but it's long past time for a thread to talk through these issues, probably in "Web & Internet". I'm too lazy to start it. Anyone else?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:05:27 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: