VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 01:27:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Death of PC  (Read 1039 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: December 19, 2013, 08:12:28 pm »

Will you still continue on new versions?

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/dec/19/why-tablets-killing-pc-ipad-apple-microsoft

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:03:56 am »

Yes. I think PCs will linger for many years to come. 
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 04:32:33 am »

Users are starting to realize that there are some things they really don't want to process in the cloud. They'll want to handle certain data locally, which means PC-like abilities even when not connected. For now, that means a PC. Later on, device size could be reduced, but the OSes that come with "personal devices" aren't equipped to do this kind of work without phoning home.

The  PC per se will go. The standalone-capable OS will still be around.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:34:18 am by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 04:45:15 am »

Meh. Clueless pundits have been claiming the PC is dead for nearly 20 years. For those that remember the bad old days of dumb terminals and mainframes, cloud computing is no different. And what happens when you don't have access to the cloud? So much for getting work done.

While the PC may change in form, the concept isn't going away any time soon. I'd like to see those so called "experts" get their moronic articles done without any type of Internet access. Betcha they'd change their tune very quickly.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 06:32:44 am »

A personal computer (PC) is a general-purpose computer, whose size, capabilities and original sale price makes it useful for individuals, and which is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator.
Wikipedia.

So defined, smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops are all PCs.  The chromebook, running gentoo linux, was Amazon's best selling computer last Christmas.  Probably this Christmas too. I can't think of anything a desktop PC can do that the chromebook can't.  Nothing is new, excepting size, speed and portability.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:37:12 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 07:59:09 am »

When saying "PC", I think many of us envision a traditional desktop workstation, a box housing the CPU, HDD etc, with monitor, mouse and keyboard attached. That is where I started. For the purpose of this post, I'll use this definition for PC.

After the PC came the laptop. It did not kill of the PC. Then came the all-in-one desktop. It did not kill off the PC nor the laptop. Then came the smart phone. It did not kill off the PC nor the all-in-one desktop nor the laptop. Then came the tablet. It has yet to kill off the PC, the laptop, the all-in-one desktop and the smart phone. I am certain that the tablet is not the end result of computer evolution.

The PC, vinyl records and muscle cars may follow my generation to the grave, but it's yet too early to start digging.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 09:01:10 am »

http://tabtimes.com/analysis/ittech-tablet-industry/2013/06/02/5-tablet-annoyances-i-just-can-t-get-past

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:45:02 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: