VectorLinux
August 31, 2014, 11:13:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 7.0 Light installer doesn't boot on old computer  (Read 9630 times)
ormu

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 12:42:22 pm »

Yeah, I'll check if it supports PAE and if not, try non-PAE kernel (I suppose Debian provides it in the repository)...

Isn't Puppy meant for live CD use? Or is it fine for installing too?

I use that computer mostly for 1) running old tools for which I use Windows 98, and 2) testing various server stuff on Linux. I don't need GUI very often, it's just nice to have.

edit: I actually have a 2x256MB SDRAM kit but the motherboard has non-standard clips in the memory slots and ripping them away isn't very elegant. Tongue

I still wonder what is the reason to give the PAE kernel by default? Most systems with large memory are x86-64 compatible anyway...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:56:10 pm by ormu » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 03:06:23 pm »

I think VL Light 7.0 is non pae but the newer 7.1 in testing is pae, based on my attempt to install to the d400. A popular trend but as you say the 64 bit will be the benefactor. apparently the percentage of non pae is minimal thus justification.

As mentioned, you will benefit from a swap file in this case, I would likely try 512 but relative.

The gui installer is a default I think and you will want the text installer (type install at the boot prompt, I think)

Puppy is a great option for low ram units but perhaps not for you, just a suggestion due to available ram. it has option for save(persistance) and will save to fat32. It has various install options but not the best choice for server side testing in my opinion.

Everything Is Relative
ormu

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 12:27:03 pm »

/proc/cpuinfo says PAE is supported, and 3.2.0-4-486 kernel doesn't boot either. Maybe an issue with firmware/BIOS, who knows...

Swap partition is used, I think it's 512MB.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: