VectorLinux
September 15, 2014, 06:34:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ways of doing a "from hard drive install" of downloaded .iso's  (Read 2901 times)
Getrb

« on: December 19, 2013, 02:43:05 pm »

Last night i had a bad-ass crash of my system trying to install VL7.
So after a number of hours of work, i was back on track again.
Not blaming VL though, it seems like my Laptop-cd doesn't like my oem-bundle mediums!
And oboy did that get uggly when your in gparted that failed the writing process completely.
That said, id prefer not to install any more from the cd/dvd.

So i tried to recall howto make an install from an iso directly from an partition.
Therefore i booted up on a VL (not live), tried to do something like "mount -ro loop iso9660 /dev/sdaX/VL7.iso /mountdir"
(In a bunch of variations  but nothing succeeded without later-on getting an error-message.

So if someone's willing id like to get an update of the loop-mount/ chroot/ initiation and so on.

And this is something new for me, here's the inspiration: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=17065.0

What im looking for is how do i perform it... to me it seems like an convenient way to make frequent reinstall's of beta testing.
Edit menu.lst in Grub to > title install VL > kernel vmlinux > initrd initrd.img

Copying kernel and initrd to /boot (whats the right ones to pick and or maybe edit initrd to find dir.)
What's missing is, that i usually have a dedicated /boot partition.
So id have to just copy these to my sdaX root along with the iso-image and link grub's menu.lst there?

Like for example something like root (0,7) +1 and rootnoverify, if its on the primary and 8th partition (Grub 2)
Might be cool to try something new. =)
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 05:47:37 pm »

Direct ISO on a Linux Host

If you have another Linux(such as Knoppix,) running on the computer.  downloading the following files into a directory (e.g: /home/download):
The chosen VectorLinux ISO image file.
vlinstall-iso

Find it as “install/vinstall/vinstall-iso” within the FTP site
Now go to the text console (press Cntrl-Alt-F1) and login as root. Proceed as follows:
Switch to run level 2 (or 3 in Slackware, etc)
init 2 <enter>
Go to the directory where you downloaded the files, i.e.: /home/download
cd /home/download<enter>
Now, install using the ISO file
./vinstall-iso vl-7.0.iso <enter>
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 06:37:17 pm »

If you make a separate partition on the hard drive and put an iso file in the root (top dir) of it, then boot off the install cd, you should be presented with the option of using that image file as the install source.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 04:47:41 am »

If you make a separate partition on the hard drive and put an iso file in the root (top dir) of it, then boot off the install cd, you should be presented with the option of using that image file as the install source.

This this this. Don't know how much time I've saved over the past year on installing beta ISOs using this method. I toss the ISO in root on sda, fire up the installer on CD and we're off to the races.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 06:03:59 am »

Is vinstall.iso version specific?  That is - can it install VL6.0, VL7.0 and VL7.1?  Or did I mess up when I tried?

Bruce

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Getrb

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 07:15:13 am »

Direct ISO on a Linux Host

If you have another Linux(such as Knoppix,) running on the computer.  downloading the following files into a directory (e.g: /home/download):
The chosen VectorLinux ISO image file.
vlinstall-iso

Find it as “install/vinstall/vinstall-iso” within the FTP site
Now go to the text console (press Cntrl-Alt-F1) and login as root. Proceed as follows:
Switch to run level 2 (or 3 in Slackware, etc)
init 2 <enter>
Go to the directory where you downloaded the files, i.e.: /home/download
cd /home/download<enter>
Now, install using the ISO file
./vinstall-iso vl-7.0.iso <enter>
Now i have tried some of the man-page magic and concluded that:
There might be some typos in this man page like:
Ctrl > Cntrl
And vinstall-iso > vinstall-iso-ng (I dont know the difference though!)
And you are probably going to search for some time in those ftp-sites.
I found this in a VL-distro (iso) under /install/vinstall/*
Therefore i extracted those files from the install iso by an archiver.
Copied this to chosen / (/dev/partition)
Leaving aimed installation-partition's unmounted/ uneffected
Id strongly suggest not using gparted in the installation-mode but go for fdisk/ format before install is issued.

And once you’ve gotten to your system (init 2 or 3)
execute:
su > password
mkdir /media/mountpoint
mount -t <the_filesystem> /dev/partition-where_ISOandVINSTALL-ISO-NG_are /media/mountpoint
cd /media/mountpoint/
chmod +x vinstall-iso-ng
./vinstall-iso-ng VL-distrubution.iso
Quote from: nightflier
Now that would be nice, though i have yet to succeed in accomplishing that task. (It doesn’t work for me, by install or live.)
Perhaps the installer only searches in bootable flaged partitions for iso's?

I might write an update for ways of installing after i have tested the Grub-way and learned some more about the "nightflier" method.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 07:02:24 pm »

On one of my pc's, I copied several installation iso's in one partition.  Whenever I started the installation, either from cd or vinstall, it would pick up all of these iso's (as well as the one on the cd if started that way).  Attempting to install an iso that was not the same version as vinstall was unsuccessful - hence my earlier question in this topic.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 10:02:34 pm »

The from-CD installer for 7.1 is different. Vinstall.iso has not been changed to match it (yet?). For now, don't use vinstall.iso (or anything you see in the install directory) for 7.1 installs, even the vinstall.iso on the same iso.

Booting from a 7.1 CD to install a 7.1 iso located on a mounted HD basically works, but you may or may not find yourself booting your new installation using a CD to set up the bootloader by hand. The generated config file for the bootloader is probably good. Confirm it and run the loader's (lilo or grub) install command.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Getrb

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 05:33:56 am »

On one of my pc's, I copied several installation iso's in one partition.  Whenever I started the installation, either from cd or vinstall, it would pick up all of these iso's (as well as the one on the cd if started that way).  Attempting to install an iso that was not the same version as vinstall was unsuccessful - hence my earlier question in this topic.
How is your setup on the partitions you put your iso's on? Eg drive / partition / bootable flag?

The from-CD installer for 7.1 is different. Vinstall.iso has not been changed to match it (yet?). For now, don't use vinstall.iso (or anything you see in the install directory) for 7.1 installs, even the vinstall.iso on the same iso.

Booting from a 7.1 CD to install a 7.1 iso located on a mounted HD basically works, but you may or may not find yourself booting your new installation using a CD to set up the bootloader by hand. The generated config file for the bootloader is probably good. Confirm it and run the loader's (lilo or grub) install command.
Yes well i wont be running that installer again.. I'm going for the Grub2-way. Thank'u =)
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 12:43:27 pm »

How is your setup on the partitions you put your iso's on? Eg drive / partition / bootable flag?
/dev/sda 74.5 GiB ; /dev/sdb 37.27 GiB;  sda1 & sdb1 are flagged as boot.
Code:
/dev/sda6 / reiserfs #VL6.0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/Test reiserfs
/dev/sda2 swap
/dev/sda3 /mnt/FreeDos vfat
/dev/sda5 /mnt/VL7.0 reiserfs
/dev/sda6 /mnt/Public vfat
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/Win98 vfat
/dev/sdb2 /mnt/VL5.9 reiserfs
/dev/sdb3 /mnt/Code reiserfs
/dev/sdb5 /mnt/Iso reiserfs

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Getrb

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 05:22:16 am »

Okey so then i assume it should be working in my setup aswell.
Sins they are similar, if there isn't an limit in probing numbers of partitions btw.
Thank's StrayBit
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 09:07:44 am »

The only issue I had was matching the installer to the iso, ie: VL6.0 cd would not successfully instal VL7.0.  And that doesn't count the frustration I had once I got 7.0 installed.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 10:58:26 am »

Hi guys, sotty for the late response.
Here is how I install VL7.1 from HD.
First I clone the installer from bitbucket:

Code:
$ git clone http://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vinstall.git

That will copy the installer code into a directory called vinstall.
Change your working directory into it:

Code:
$ cd vinstall

Su to root and install the installer (hehe) with easy_install:

Code:
$ easy_install .

Then copy your iso into the root of any partition (well, one you will not install VL into right now).

You will need to be root because installer needs to mount stuff etc, so from your root shell run:

Code:
$ vinstall

It will take a bit to start if you have many partitions, its scanning your drives for ISOs.
Then you can follow the installation wizard.

Please be careful and test in a spare machine if you have one, the procedure is tested mostly internally only.

If you folks can test this and let me know how it goes that would be great.

Thank you in advance,

Rodrigo

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Getrb

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 11:38:05 am »

@Rodrigo
About the nuts and b.... well installer.
How is it setup to work?
Is it independent of the iso or still tied to version and so?

Eg. is it an platform for the iso to execute and run from.
Or does it "mount" and execute regardless?
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 04:32:31 pm »

A little off topic perhaps but have you considered a usb install  Smiley

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: