VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 09:16:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ways of doing a "from hard drive install" of downloaded .iso's  (Read 2093 times)
Getrb

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 01:22:58 pm »

Well that has crossed my mind.... though i do not have any stick or SD.... its all in storage for now.
But you are very welcome to add your ways of doing this.
And USB seems to me one of the most popular ways to do so.

My latest take on this is very oldschool..... since Grub is not abel to run an iso directly.
I'm on the indirect trace... a floppy-size base (1,44Mb + 35 Kb .bat) for execution slax-style.
Although i have not yet searched enouth, and viewed all other options...
But it sure could do the job if the files needed aren’t to much work. (creating a .bat file for VL)
Then it would be possible to install by 3 simple commands.... by freedos.
One execute freedos from Grub, cd to dir, and run............

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 11:51:26 am »

@Rodrigo
About the nuts and b.... well installer.
How is it setup to work?
Is it independent of the iso or still tied to version and so?

Eg. is it an platform for the iso to execute and run from.
Or does it "mount" and execute regardless?

It should not be tied to an iso, we are trying to make it work with any of them. However, nobody is testing it with old ISOs AFAIK.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 11:53:46 am »

A little off topic perhaps but have you considered a usb install  Smiley

I install from USB mostly, I think its the easier way. I just use unetbootin which usually works after a couple of tweaks.
If someone could go through the process and take note of any change thats needed or that would make USB easier I would gladly incorporate that in the installer.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 07:10:11 pm »

Just used unetbootin on 7.1 B1 to add 7.1 B1.1 iso to usb and installed. no special requirements.

Easy, just like the VL install. My box does not offer boot from usb so I used the PLOP boot manager which boots what ever is available..find it here if required, works with floppy, cd, etc.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/plpbt.bin.html

My guess is unetbootin on windows works the same.

usb shows under a gig used so 1gig stick would likely do

For a future project perhaps as Getrb does not have one free at the moment. I borrowed  an empty one myself (lexar)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:15:32 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: