VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 06:46:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved] "please press print" web receipt trouble  (Read 2240 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: November 26, 2013, 02:13:42 pm »

Hello.  Whenever I do a transaction online, there's usually a receipt issued.  For me to have a copy of this receipt, the site will give me a "please press print" option (IE, "Please press PRINT if you wish to print your ‘summary’ page for reference purposes. If you provided an email address, you will be notified when your move request has been processed.")  However, whenever I do this, it will print it in a tiny square of the page, rather than the proper size.  So, is there a way to have it print the proper size?  I'm assuming that the code underlying it works with Windows and Mac browsers, as I can't imagine the general public having the same issue.  So I'm wondering how to get this working properly with my browser on Linux (currently Firefox 19.0, on Vector Linux 7.0).

For an example, here is the code behind a "please press print" option that gave me the issue I described above:

Code:
<p>Please press <span id="ctl00_ctl10_g_c89c9094_3377_459f_bc9c_35eaec5bdb85_ctl00_PRINTLink" onClick="window.open('TEForm.aspx?Print','_new','height=700px,width=800px,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,toolbar=yes,menubar=yes');return false;" style="cursor:pointer;color:#066 !important; font-weight:bold;">PRINT</span> if you wish to print your ‘summary’ page for reference purposes. If you provided an email address, you will be notified when your move request has been processed.</p>
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:09:55 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 07:35:46 pm »

perhaps of interest
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2649203

Everything Is Relative
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 08:00:24 am »

Thanks overthere.  I looked at it but wasn't able to see how it could solve the issue I described.

To digress for a second, I have been running into a lot of glitches in using Linux.  Some programs that do print, and some that do not, some programs that don't quite work as expected, some programs that break after an update, various glitches in stuff, etc.  Seems endless.  Increasingly this is beginning to frustrate me.

Anyway, if anyone else has had the issue I described in the OP, and has fixed the issue, then do share.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:43:32 am »

I understand your frustration, apologize and will not post further

have you considered cups-pdf (print to a pdf file, rather than direct to paper)

have you used another version of firefox or alternative browser,

cheers

Everything Is Relative
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 01:10:40 pm »

Mark,

After thoroughly considering all alternatives, I have concluded that your computer is haunted.  Or, that your hard drive is going out.  Or that the motherboard is sick.  I can't decide which.   But I can say that I don't have such problems on my samsung running 7.0, at least with programs in the standard repository. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 04:14:33 pm »

Yeah, I got my computer from a used computer parts store, cheap, with extra gremlins to boot.  I think my printer is the issue.  It's a Samsung ML-2165, and there's only a proprietary driver for it (at least, that I've been able to find).  I had problems installing Samsung Unified Driver, but managed to get the printer working with most applications.  I've tried to print to file (pdf) with the "print receipt" buttons, but the pdf turns out the same as directly printing the receipt (a small square).  The only solution I've come up with to get a proper size is to take a screenshot and then put the image onto an odt file and print with OpenOffice.org (I can't print images directly with geeqie, as I also can't with acroread -- epdfview works though).

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 01:37:26 pm »

Hmm, I think I may have solved this one.  The last print job showed that the printer was set for no. 10 envelope.  Changing this to US letter gave a proper print.  It worked fine at another site as well.  So, seems I simply had the printer setting wrong.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:08:59 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: