VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 02:34:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: xfce Terminal Emulator 0.4.6: Can't copy?  (Read 841 times)
Rytz

« on: December 25, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »

Hi again:

VLocity x64 7.0
xfce Terminal Emulator 0.4.6

I am unable to get any copy function to work on the gui/desktop terminal.  The menu option "copy" is always greyed out when text is highlighted.  Right-click to copy on highlighted text is greyed out.  SHIFT-CTRL-C and even custom shortcuts don't work.

Paste works fine, however.  Go figure.  Right-click, menu, and all shortcut keys.

Any thoughts or ideas on why the copy functionality doesn't work?  I haven't attempted to update the terminal emulator but I would like to think this is a basic function of the gui/desktop terminal emulator and should work.

I did try the Root Terminal version as well - same problem with copy.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:56:37 pm by Rytz » Logged

~ Rytz
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 07:50:27 pm »

Is "gpm: console mouse daemon" checked in set services for gui run level. vasm services as super should offer the option.

Everything Is Relative
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 11:07:08 am »

I will have to check this one at home.
In the mean time you can try this:

- Select text you want to copy with left click
- Use middle click for pasting

Works most of the time.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Rytz

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 11:26:58 am »

@overthere:
I'll have to do some investigation and check for that service this weekend.  I don't recall ever seeing that service listed.  In regards to GUI-based configs, I've only ever used the legacy VASM interface.

@rbistolfi:
I would guess that the left-click method won't work but I will try it this weekend.  I'm using my laptop trackpad which doesn't have a middle button.

I think the problem might be specific to the VI editor run through the terminal emulator.  I was using the terminal emulator yesterday and I recall being able to copy from the command line, just not when VI was open.

I'll report back with more info this weekend.

~ Rytz
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 02:34:29 pm »

If you run vasm as root and select services then srvset, then gui, the services run list offers console mouse daemon as an option. most likely it is selected and as you say you can copy/paste from terminal

vi is a different story, you may try SHIFT when selecting text with left click then middle click to paste

as I recall clicking l/r together is like a middle click for two button mice

Everything Is Relative
Rytz

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 02:44:38 pm »

Thanks for the tips.  I will report back.

~ Rytz
Rytz

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:25:42 pm »

Reporting back: I believe shift-select worked for VI.  This issue was specific to VI though - other terminal copy/paste functions seem fine.

~ Rytz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: