VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 04:05:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: realtime module?  (Read 7191 times)
grekim

« on: January 10, 2014, 04:49:12 am »

Hi,
I have installed Vector Light 7.0 with the idea of using it for audio.  It seems quite stable, and even without realtime capabilities it is running Mixbus reasonably well.  But, I would like to experiment with a realtime module if there is still one available.  Apparently there is not one on the system I installed.  Is this module compiled into the Standard VL7 kernel or does the kernel need to be compiled from scratch?  
Thanks!
Grekim
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:28:30 am by grekim » Logged

command line audio tools:  www.acousticrefuge.com/mixer4.htm
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 07:39:41 am »

Not sure what you are looking for but ardour and audacity are listed in the package manager for light and gslapt should handle depends...jack is also listed and I think installed with ardour. you would have to build hydrogen but I think there is a slackware package...googled this

http://ftp.arm.slackware.com/slacky/slackware-13.0/multimedia/hydrogen/0.9.4/

you would have to check the depends for that.

hope that helps
cheers

Everything Is Relative
grekim

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:19:40 am »

Yep, no problems finding packages, thanks.  Actually, this is a really simple setup in terms of the amount of software.  So before posting I came across this thread:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=479.0
But, there apparently is no realtime module to load for VL64 or Light.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:58:49 am »

Very possible, I am not sure VL64 or light existed when the thread was created. the realtime-lsm project seems to refer to the 2.6 series kernel, not sure if the project is active or relates to newer kernals. not very helpful sorry.

Are you having issue with applications on VL7.0 light

Everything Is Relative
grekim

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:37:50 am »

Vector Linux seems great so far.  I am running the Harrison Mixbus with LinuxDSP plug-ins.  I've only been trying it for a week with these particular programs, but it has been quite stable.   Another shot in the dark is possibly using a Slackware realtime kernel?  I have to assume the Vector kernels and Slackware kernels are not exactly interchangeable?

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 12:05:56 pm »

The bigger question is do you even need it. It may be that you can run the applications fine without stutter or concern.
If you are having issue then it may be worth reverting to an older version...not sure where you would get a dynamite with the realtime-lsm kernal but you can still download the patch from sourceforge and someone could likely help you add it to a vector version using the 2.6 kernel.
Although good to know, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Everything Is Relative
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 02:18:18 pm »

Usually you do need realtime capabilities for running audio or video production applications, which allows raising the priority for accessing hardware resources to those apps.
The realtime patches for the kernel that we used to use are deprecated I think. Nobody is developing that anymore. I have no idea what replaces that now. If you could find some link to resources we would like to implement what you need for Vector.

Thanks!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 02:20:12 pm »

Probably this https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page ?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
grekim

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 02:44:59 pm »

Wow, very kind of you to offer!  I just wouldn't know how to be of any help.  Honestly, I don't absolutely need the realtime capability myself.   It looks like I can playback about 16 tracks while recording another 8 with a normal buffer size in Mixbus.   For audio, many of us use the processing built into the audio card, such as the RME HDSP mixer.  This allows us to keep a large buffer in the host audio program.   But, a lot of people these days like to use synthetic sounds or samples generated by the computer and therefore need a low buffer (say 2-10 msec) in the host program so that when you play a note on a keyboard or play your guitar through an amp simulator, the processed sound is returned to the performer very quickly.  So, again I was just curious to see if this capability was possible with Vector and maybe I could recommend it to someone else in this application.
I stumbled upon Vector and found that it is one of a small handful of distros that will write to disk without disrupting the streaming going on with alsa when running the software that I have written for recording.   So it is true that there's something very efficient about Vector Linux!  Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:46:45 pm by grekim » Logged

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 06:01:16 pm »

My howto is a couple of years old now. I don't know how it's done nowadays, I still use an old vl 5.9 for my music. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what's new...

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: