VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 12:45:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ SOLVED ] Home design software for Linux?  (Read 2286 times)
Locator
Vectorian

« on: January 14, 2014, 04:46:41 pm »

Can anyone out there recommend Home design software for Linux (free and/or public domain will do)?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:38:51 pm by Locator » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 06:12:44 pm »

You can have a look at this one, not exactly what you want naturally but it is free, includes the required java and you can run the app from the unzipped folder at least on the 7.1 I used it on..there is a pic on my low end box and pics on the page as well I think.

bottom of the thread
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=17961.0

or
Downloaded SweetHome3D from here

http://www.sweethome3d.com/download.jsp

pic from my old rig with 768 meg ram
http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/550557/sweethome3d.png
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:15:17 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 06:15:23 pm »

Sweet Home 3D is in the untested repo for 7.1
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:17:23 pm by nightflier » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 06:24:20 pm »

I did try the repository app but although it opens a splash screen that is all it did..perhaps java is missing and is not included with the install. the download link is self contained in a folder and worked well with out install. but willing to give the repository another try if I knew what the solution was.

Everything Is Relative
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 01:28:22 pm »

Thanks, but when I ran it, it rebooted my computer (no error messages or anything) Sad, or to be more accurate - it displayed a splash screen, started to open a window, then almost immediately rebooted my computer.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:41:48 pm by Locator » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 11:03:49 pm »

As mentioned I downloaded the self contained app that includes java and opened the app from the uncompressed folder. I included a pic from the 7.1 32 bit install and also opened the app on 7.0 light and drew a few walls with no issue. thus the suggestion.

check your download and required dependencies and run in a terminal for errors that may help you determine your issue.

DIA drawing program is a basic graph paper and pencil you can try, I used it prior to stumbling on sweet home.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:12:33 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:52:33 pm »

Well, I decided to erase my hard drive and and re-install my operating system thinking that the problem would thus be resolved. So I re-downloaded SweetHome3D and extracted the files- but when I tried to run it, it displayed as a text file. And when I try to runit from terminal mode I get the following result

vector:/~/SweetHome3D-4.3
doctor:$ SweetHome3D
bash: SweetHome3D: command not found

Any suggestions? Or better yet - What programming language is it written in?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:58:51 pm by Locator » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 06:49:01 pm »

In terminal you would get command not found if the path is incorrect. in this case if you downloaded the 32 bit green download button item at the top of the page you would have to include the path to the application or executable ie /home/user/folder/file.

Although I did not have to do this, If you double click and get a text file, close it and right click the app,  choose properties then permissions and see if the check box is checked for make this file executable. if not checked , check it and try again.

If you are using a 64 bit system then you need to download the portable version and run the 64 bit app for linux, it includes win, mac and linux for 32 and 64 bit and includes java.

you will need p7zip to extract the compressed download. it should be in the repository. open the folder where you downloaded the file then right click in the folder and chose open terminal here. in terminal type p7zip -d filename. then look for SweetHome3D-linux x64 and double click.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:01:41 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 08:38:23 pm »

GREAT NEWS!!! I FINALLY got it working correctly (so far), it turns out that for some reason the file wasn't downloading correctly before.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 08:52:14 pm »

Glad you finally got it working, and Thanks for marking solved.

Hope it is useful, I have not found alternative yet.

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: