VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 07:28:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera dead  (Read 1454 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: January 17, 2014, 05:37:07 pm »

Discovered today that Opera community services is closing, so all my photo links will soon be dead. I am not sure any one looked at my photos here anyway but all were uploaded to opera from testing os or long gone systems so I will have to retrieve what was at least of interest to me. perhaps dropbox or some free cloud can hold them. not sure if I should attempt to repair links. guess photo sharing is a bad idea in the first place. sorry for all the dead ones I have created.

Any suggestions for free storage were files can be linked without the viewer requiring an account to view them and can download them if desired.

Everything Is Relative
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:10:40 pm »

pls register thai  nation blog  asap.....
pls do write more  about travel  ...

http://blog.nationmultimedia.com
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:50:44 pm »

Good point, should not have posted photos in the first place. The damage is done and any future sharing of photos or what ever is my problem.
Cheers

Everything Is Relative
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 04:24:34 am »

I use Dropbox for my photos, and it works pretty good for me.
One interesting alternative thats not free but cheap that some people use with success is Amazon S3 service.
Imageshack used to be popular.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:44:28 am »

Another cloud evaporating.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 04:09:31 pm »

Thanks

Fleeting at best

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 08:41:30 pm »

Opened a dropbox account but did not install the app. can login and upload single file with firefox and opera and add link ie: last wallpaper here, but not with midori. so midori can not replace opera as a light weight just yet.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:11:21 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 05:58:01 pm »

I use imgur.com myself.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 09:32:30 pm »

Thanks...will have a look

Everything Is Relative
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 04:48:47 am »

more background info about opera soft asa:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_Software

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_(web_browser)

since opera soft asa acquired Skyfire for $155 million, opera's going down day by day!

expect developper working for opera Soft asa in oslo or worldwide could inform more dark inside about opera soft asa.

would opera soft asa pay developpers worldwide  as they promised on time?
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 06:54:28 pm »

Skyfire was a great browser on my book reader and allowed me to stream vids and save them when no other would.

I was always a fan of opera because it was full featured and lite, especially on old hardware. Firefox is fine but a little sluggish in these cases.

The move from Opera's own engine to chromes engine(blink?) seems to be less than popular but was I think an attempt to solve some of the printing and copy features, etc, that were lagging behind.

Opera 12.16 is the last of the brand with the new Opera having fewer of the features that made it what it was. although the browser is not as dead as the community, it will be a climb back to fame in my opinion. Who knows if we will see a linux version of gopera.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:13:48 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 01:28:15 am »

Looks like one of the founders of the Opera community has created Vivaldi.net to provide a place for members who are wondering where to go next.

www.vivaldi.net

Everything Is Relative
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 03:51:30 am »

Vivaldi.net   looks fine,

which country now is host for it?italia, japan, russia, ukraine,?

who's the owner for Vivaldi.net financially?

would Vivaldi.net  be dominated by some ruthless corps villains behind the scenes?

pls  inform here more!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 08:00:18 am »

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/23/operas-former-ceo-launches-vivaldi-a-new-community-site-and-email-service/

the vivaldi site has location information

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 12:40:04 pm »

installed seamonkey to 7.1 and it appears to start as fast as opera but appears the java and flash plugins are vulnerable and require update...will have to look for solution but looks like a candidate.

edit: not clicking the check update link is likely the solution, but firefox works better anyway although slower to open.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:03:26 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: