VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 06:37:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Install Netis WF-2111 wireless usb adapter on Vector Linux 7.0  (Read 5035 times)
twin2014

« on: January 20, 2014, 08:40:56 pm »

<EDIT: I tried following the howto posted in the networking section first, but I couldn't get past the step of 'init 2' in the console, it gives me a black screen and then the error message "<6>[ 8529.853594] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PGRAPH - ERROR nsource: ILLEGAL_MTHD nstatus: PROTECTION_FAULT">

Hi, totally new to Linux and VectorLinux, trying to get basic wireless networking going on an old HP desktop computer. I just bought a Netis WF-2111 wireless usb adapter from the store, and trying to get it to work with VL 7.0. On the box of the adapter it says it works with Linux. Both the install CD and the Netis website has a driver for Linux:

http://www.netis-systems.com/en/Products/Wireless%20USB%20Adapters/73.html#.Ut31XRDTneM

I went into VL's IRC channel and <roarde> and <bigpaws> were hospitable enough to try to troubleshoot it and walk me through an install, we got it to the point where in Wicd the adapter can see wireless networks around, but cannot connect to them, whether they're secured or not. In Wicd trying to connect to secured networks says "Connection failed: bad password" (even though the pw is correct) and trying to connect to an unsecured network yielded the results "unable to get an ip address". Troubleshooting went on for several hours but ultimately we couldnt get it working yet. The full transcript of that conversation is here:

http://pastebin.com/yp0FHMfQ

As far as I remember lsusb showed the chipset for the adapter as (Realtek) RTL8188CUS. Would appreciate assistance getting this working, this feels extremely frustrating and unnecessarily tedious for me coming to Linux for the first time as a Windows user, just to get this teenie little USB dongle to work.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:56:58 pm by twin2014 » Logged
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:48:51 pm »

pls install latest kernel 3.12.8 on vl test repo. check your
RTL8188CUS  working  or not with buildin driver insde the kernel.

if not, try open driver,

wireless.kernel.org
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:47:24 am »

Your USB device is working. The proof was that a connection was established
with the AP. The problem was getting the encryption to work.

You asked why you did not get an ip address from the unencrypted connection
when you said it did connect. No testing was done to prove that services needed
were accessed or available. So a definitive answer is not available.

In my experiences the have been routers that do not accept encrypted connections
from Linux and have from other operating systems. This may be the case here.

The irc channel is pretty quite. You may not see any conversations occuring for
hours let alone days. I would say most time someone is around. Esp. 8-8 EST.
Some of us ignore joins/parts/quits on irc. We will not see you unless you make
yourself known.

Bigpaws

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 06:12:31 am »

RTL8188CUS     Linux Kernel 2.6.18~3.9

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=274&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#2292

perhaps of interest, your not alone if nothing else

http://itsapassion.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/install-rtl8188cus-802-11n-wlan-adapter-in-linux-mint-12/

Everything Is Relative
twin2014

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 11:57:39 pm »

vincent2, bigpaws, overthere: thx for replies and links. I'm gonna take another crack at it, hopefully can get it working this time.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:43:14 am »

As root:
/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd stop
rm /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid
rm /etc/wicd/wireless-settings.conf

So we're stopping wicd (you'll get the "DBus" error you've seen before). Then making sure it deleted the file that is a flag that it is running. And removing the file that holds AP-specific settings; this will be regenerated when you try to connect next time.

Shutdown, start back up. Log on as regular user, open wicd. Try to connect to desired AP. When a password is requested, just fill in the password and don't worry about the type of security/encryption.

The driver for your device was included with VL already, and apparently works.

In IRC you had mentioned trying a different Linux distribution. Apparently there's something you like about VL. If you can't get wireless as you want it shortly, post back and we can suggest other distros to try if you want to go that way. Off the top of my head, I'd think Salix or maybe VL 7.1, but that's currently in beta-test. Others know more distros, so just mention that you'd like to look around, and some pretty good suggestions will appear.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
twin2014

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 12:15:52 am »

Woohoo! I'm typing this reply connected to the net from the linux box now with the usb dongle! Hopefully it will have consistent functionality now that I'm connected.

Not sure whether the driver included in the kernel was the right one or not (I dl'ed and installed the driver from the Realtek site as <overthere> suggested.) However, for certain the rtl8192cu driver was contributing to the problem. After blacklisting it, the dongle works now.

Thanks for the help.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 01:18:51 am »

Glad you finally got it working, Good to test for consistency but looks like you are good to go, If so perhaps edit your original post heading with [solved] as others may benefit from reading your solution.
cheers

ps just for thought, commercial products that claim to work with linux may be specific to a brand like fedora or ubuntu and may not work with all linux or with a specific kernel series. Always good to do a little extra research if possible, I tend to read the instructions after the fact myself so you did good to at least choose one that  suggested it was linux friendly...happy vectoring
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:24:52 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 04:01:16 pm »

Thanks very much for posting back the info that got it working.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: