VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 01:38:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CSharp and Mono  (Read 3319 times)
StrayBit
Vectorite

« on: January 21, 2014, 08:53:06 am »

Do I understand correctly that Mono does C#?

I gslapted all of the mono* packages in VL7.0, opened MonoDevelop, tried to open a .cs file:
Code:
The file '/home/Common/MethodParams.cs' could not be opened.  Key '/desktopgnome/interface/monofontspacename' not found in GConf
The links tried to open Opera in spite of my  prefered browser being Seamonkey. 

Clicked Help > Help
Code:
Could not start monodoc : System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: ApplicationName='monodoc', CommandLine='--help', CurrentDirectory='  at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_noshell (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_common (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MonoDevelop.Core.Execution.ProcessWrapper.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) MonoDevelop.Core.Execution.ProcessWrapper:Start ()
  at MonoDevelop.Core.Execution.ProcessService.StartProcess (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, MonoDevelop.Core.Execution.ProcessEventHandler outputStreamChanged, MonoDevelop.Core.Execution.ProcessEventHandler errorStreamChanged, System.EventHandler exited) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MonoDevelop.Core.Execution.ProcessService.StartProcess (System.String command, System.String arguments, System.String workingDirectory, MonoDevelop.Core.Execution.ProcessEventHandler outputStreamChanged, MonoDevelop.Core.Execution.ProcessEventHandler errorStreamChanged, System.EventHandler exited, Boolean redirectStandardInput) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MonoDevelop.Core.Execution.ProcessService.StartProcess (System.String command, System.String arguments, System.String workingDirectory, System.IO.TextWriter outWriter, System.IO.TextWriter errorWriter, System.EventHandler exited, Boolean redirectStandardInput) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at MonoDevelop.Ide.HelpOperations.CheckExternalMonodoc () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Where do I go from here?

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:10:18 am »

Probably way off base but interesting non the less

http://www.mono-project.com/Mod_mono

Manual Mod_Mono Configuration

The following assumes you have included mod_mono.conf in your main configuration file as described above. Further, it is important (as of Mono 1.2.5) to place the remaining mod_mono directives after the User and Group directives. They can just go at the end, or inside VirtualHost sections.

A basic setup is as follows (with line numbers added for convenience):
1   MonoAutoApplication disabled
2   AddHandler mono .aspx .ascx .asax .ashx .config .cs .asmx .axd
3   MonoApplications "/:/home/username/www"

The first line disables the AutoHosting feature. (If inside a VirtualHost section, it disables it just for that virtual host).

The second line instructs Apache that processing of files with .aspx, etc. extensions should be delegated to mod_mono (rather than Apache processing them itself as plain-text files).

The third line instructs mod_mono that an ASP.NET application exists at the root directory of the web site (i.e. at http://www.example.com/), and that this virtual path corresponds to the physical path on disk of /home/username/www.

Edit: oops way way off base
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:30:41 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 11:58:58 am »

I cant help much but yes, Mono is an open source implementation of C#.
The mod_mono package adds C# support to your web server, for programming web applications in C#.

Looks like the error is about a missing font configuration in GConf, the Gnome confiduration service.

Sorry I cant help much, let us know how this evolves.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:09:56 am »

I gslapted all of the mono* packages in VL7.0, opened MonoDevelop, tried to open a .cs file:
Code:
The file '/home/Common/MethodParams.cs' could not be opened.  Key '/desktopgnome/interface/monofontspacename' not found in GConf
The links tried to open Opera in spite of my  prefered browser being Seamonkey.

Ah!!!... a fellow SeaMonkey user...  Grin

Can you open any other file? Maybe a .txt, or something?

Perhaps configuring MonoDevelop and setting all the interface fonts (if at all possible) to something that is really there?

Regards,
Joe1962

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:22:07 am »

Thanks Joe1962.  I get the same thing trying to open a text file (.txt)

I went trough all the options in view > preferences but was unable to find anything for fonts.  However, Text editor > general throws an "unhandled exception".

It was the links on the Welcome page that insisted on using Opera. Help > Web used default Seamonky

I notice that the current stable is 4.2.[2?] while the one from VL is 2.4.2.  It is probably way beyond my capabilities to download their code and try to compile it!

My frustration has reached the level of retrograding as close as I can get to 1980's ROM Basic.  At least I could get I/O with it!

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:11 am »

I notice that the current stable is 4.2.[2?]
4.2.1 is on slackbuilds.org, you could try and build it from there.

It seems you would need at least:
- mono, mono-addins, gnome-sharp, monodevelop, monodevelop-database, monodevelop-debugger-gdb
and some of those (gnome-sharp, for example) might have other dependencies too.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 01:15:05 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  Dl'd mono4.2.1 from slackbuild and, after fumbling around, executed it in a terminal.  Surprise!  It upgraded!  Unfortunately, still can't open a file (.cs or .txt).  This was at the end of the build.
Code:
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for mono... /usr/bin/mono
checking for gmcs... /usr/bin/gmcs
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
configure: error: You need mono 3.0.4 or newer
Its beginning to look like it would be easier to build a computer than get these programs to work!  Better yet, go back to pencil and paper!

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:34:05 pm »

Code:
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for mono... /usr/bin/mono
checking for gmcs... /usr/bin/gmcs
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
configure: error: You need mono 3.0.4 or newer

Like I said:
It seems you would need at least:
- mono, mono-addins, gnome-sharp, monodevelop, monodevelop-database, monodevelop-debugger-gdb
and some of those (gnome-sharp, for example) might have other dependencies too.

That means you have to build all those first, plus any dependencies these might also require which are not installed.

EDIT: This might help you:
http://slackblogs.blogspot.com/2012/04/compiling-mono-and-monodevelop.html
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:39:30 pm by Joe1962 » Logged

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:18:12 pm »

My first post:
Code:

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 12:12:35 pm »

The point I believe that was being made was that it may be possible
that not all of the deps were met for mono develop. From looking at
the dep list it would take about three days to compile and install in
the proper all the deps and Mono develop.

Bigpaws
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 04:51:39 pm »

With the comment of taking three days to compile mono and mono-develope, it would probably take me closer to three weeks or even months to complete!

Found the answer to my problem with csc in Win7:  When putting the path to csc.exe, it ended with /csc.exe!  Removed that and could continue with the tutorial.

I have a library for a database.  I have used the C library.  With C#, would it be better to use the C++ library?  Knowing me, I'll forget and use the syntax for the C library that I have learned  The C++ library seems to have slight differences aside from different function names.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 06:56:21 pm »

Tried Mono-Develop in VL7.1 (32 bit) - it suffers the same missing pieces.

I don't know where I found it but am now perusing "Rob Miles CSharp Yellow Book 2009.pdf".  I'm beginning to understand what classes are and methods seems to be another name for functions.  One can do some amazing things in this language that were extremely difficult in C or were mere pipe-dreams.  Once I get through this one, I'll check out the 2010, 2011 and 2012 versions as well.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 04:34:45 pm »

The 2010, 2011 and 2012 are essentially the same as 2009.  Any of these is a great read for some one like me that has never worked with Object Oriented languages.

How does one find out what namespaces are available and what they contain, particularly in my system?  Something a bit more wordy than some .h files I've seen.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 09:57:27 am »

I installed mono and compiled a hello world with no problems. For mono develop, I installed libgdiplus and the problem with default style went away, however a GConf error appears becasue no monospaced font is defined in the settings. I am surprised the IDE does not fallback to another font and crashes instead.

About namespaces, I guess one has to look at the library documentation. There are some tools to generate documentation from source files, maybe you can find one that suits your needs. Sorry for the sparse information, I dont know any specific documentation generator to recommend Sad

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: