VectorLinux
April 21, 2015, 12:37:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: udev issue?  (Read 1281 times)
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« on: January 27, 2014, 12:58:54 pm »

seems to me that while booting a usb stick it is assigned its drive designation first. meaning that a usb stick would be sda and the hdd would be sdb. so, for example, ive installed b2.4 from usb stick which is at /dev/sda and hdd is sdb. so after install on boot its looking to mount sdb, but without a usb stick inserted the hdd is assigned sda and thus wont boot because during install the hdd was at sdb. so i insert the usb stick (just inserted, not booting from) and it boots proper since now the hdd is assigned to sdb.

the inverse is the same issue as well. if i install from cd /dvd the hdd is assigned hda as is appropriate, however if you have a usb stick inserted the hdd again becomes hdb and thus wont boot unless you remove the usb stick

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
polaris96

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 06:01:22 pm »

hmmmm.  That $COULD be the case, but if it were, the issue should be more prevalent than it seems to be.  I've never heard of anyone else having that issue.

The quick fix would be to tweak your initrd file on the hdd to put root on /dev/[sh]da*\.  Vector doesn't ship with mkinitrd, but it's available from slackware.  If you take a look at my LVM how-to in this section, there's probably enough info to tweak your initrd.  If not I can definitely give more advice.

Placing the usb drive into your machine after booting from the hdd definitely shouldn't be reassigning your hdd.  udev does keep some persistent naming rules but it doesn't reassign drive nodes once they've been let out.  If you already have a /dev/sda, udev won't mount another device on that node.

it's a pretty interesting problem.  Could you possibly post some of the log file?  Actually, even simpler: could you do this and post the output?  You need a root terminal.

1.  first without usb inserted:
Code:
#blkid
2.  then after inserting usb stick
Code:
#dmesg | tail
#blkid
3.  and once again after removing usb stick
Code:
#dmesg | tail
#blkid

and just post the data so I can take a look?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:06:30 pm by polaris96 » Logged
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:03:32 pm »

this has long been sorted out.... there was a conflict between udev and the kernel both loading usb

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: