VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 12:13:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: using a bug tracker  (Read 3503 times)
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« on: January 27, 2014, 01:32:23 pm »

traditionally bugs have been posted here to the forums. while thats not been a huge issue in the past the project is growing quite fast and the bug issues tend to get lost in the forums these days. we really need to start posting proper bug reports.

this is already setup at www.bitbucket.org/VLCore/

https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vabs  would be where to post bugs relating to packages

https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl71/  would be for general vector 7.1 linux issues like my udev posting

simply select the appropriate place for your issue and once there select the issue tab along the top of the screen. this just keeps bugs in a neat orderly fashion to be addressed and reffered to

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 11:25:00 am »

While I agree that it would probably be better and more structured to use a tool designed for the job, we need to think about 'who'. Who will file bug reports (it might not be desirable to grant everyone permission), and who will maintain the tracker?

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:12:43 pm »

thanks for the link, inclined to agree that encouraging generic posts could increase bug posts not associated with immediate priority. Don't worry I did not sign up..lol

however the link offers at least some insight as to changes to recent iso's. If I understand correctly the 2.7iso theme has been updated and possibly the vinstall is included in the build thus potential fix for splash and maby shutdown issue. was looking at vabs and vinstall as hopeful change log info.

volunteer testing seems futile without some knowledge of what to look for. a post on missing icons is lost when the installer is still the priority. perhaps I should wait until a request post is made as I copied the link for the initial request and likely was not intended for continued use by users like myself

not my buisness I suppose but confining 7.1 related issues to threads in the associated distro development category of the forum would be better than scattered forum posts.

Everything Is Relative
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:32:51 pm »

If a reported bug isn't really a "bug", it can be closed as such. However, by placing known issues on the bug tracker, it allows the devs to go to just one place to see what needs to be worked on.

The current "beta" thread is currently sitting at 21 pages, most of which is fluff and not bug related. Now, as a dev, what would you rather have. A specific bug tracker that has everything in one place, or have to wade through 21 pages of BS to find issues?

I know which one I'd pick, and it's not a 21 page thread.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 07:54:55 pm »

Thanks for the confirmation, I will stop installing iso's and posting useless information.

I thought that installing iso and posting once per issue to the appropriate 7.1 thread in the forum and reading posts to confirm others findings may reduce duplicate postings. Also thought that devs may view the thread and extract priorities and post those to the bug tracker and offer some knowledge of what that was so value may be found in enthusiastic wannabe's like myself

alas wishfull thinking and I finally get it

Cheers

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 10:47:10 pm »

Gave in to the idea of posting what I thought may be a bug but user name overthere was already in use..interesting..chose another name and password and added my mail and this..how can I be reinstated when I was never there to begin with or is the existing overthere in trouble...whatever...the unattended to issues in rc are already posted in the forum so known issues..cheers

Your account has been disabled.

We're sorry. Your account has been flagged by our automated system for possible violation of our terms of service.

If this is an error, please contact supportBitbucket Support@bitbucket.org to have it reinstated.

Everything Is Relative
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 03:46:05 am »

Hi overthere,

I would contact the bitbucket support team, this is a service we use but we have no relationship with them beyond being users of their service.
Thank you for trying to report those issues! About the bug tracker, we prefer bugs reported there, but forum thread works also. Don't worry too much about it. We usually copy bug reports from forum to bug tracker if we find it appropriate.

Cheers!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 04:15:04 pm »

Thanks, I am perplexed as issues from the B3 thread are unaddressed and not posted to the bug tracker. ie: thunar in fluxbox. would this be considered a bug and should it be posted as a RC issue or is it a known issue from previous iso's and will be addressed without need to consider it when installing and running the RC with intent to share bugs found as requested.

With this in mind I am compelled to suggest  as a min effort the fluxbox file menu item could be switched to midnight commander.

Everything Is Relative
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 05:12:13 pm »

I understand. The team is small and we try to address as much as we can. Anything thats not addressed in RC1 is considered a bug. There are several reasons for a surviving bug. Sometimes a developer cant reproduce it, and of course, sometimes we simply don't know how to fix it. Sometimes there are more important issues to address and priorities are assigned. The reason for the bug tracker is that it helps to maximize the output of the development effort and minimize omissions. Be sure that we try to fix everything and we read all the reports, even those that remain unanswered because of time constrains.

Again, thank you for your feedback and criticism, it is well received.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 07:15:27 pm »

Thanks, Yes I understand, and will not post RC1 issues already posted for B3 and prior.

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: