VectorLinux
April 20, 2014, 01:32:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 7.1 STD B3 ready for testing  (Read 4240 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 10:06:37 pm »

uelsk8s

I tried texlive from the untested repository and it loads fine and shows as installed in gslapt, but it doesn't work.  The file is too small.  Texlive is a 4 hour download on my system and texlive from untested is an 18 minute download.  The untested version does not include the various classes, such as article, letter, etc.  I think the shortness of the download dooms it from the start.   However for what its worth, here are the errors shown on install:

Executing install script for texlive-20130530-x86_64-1vl71...
install-info: warning: no info dir entry in `automake-history.info.gz'
install-info: warning: no info dir entry in `termcap.info.gz'
install-info: warning: no info dir entry in `time.info.gz'
Rebuilding the GNU info directory file: /usr/info/dir

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 10:48:52 pm »

And also claws-mail is still bugged and I have not receive any solution from claws-mail's developers. Might as well replace it with sylpheed or thunderbird...

I find the hang bug in claws-mail only in VL and not in other Linux distros.
Therefore, is it possible that the bug's origin is embedded in VL?
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 12:31:23 am »

I find the hang bug in claws-mail only in VL and not in other Linux distros.
Therefore, is it possible that the bug's origin is embedded in VL?

Yes but without any hints from the claws-mail developers it will be hard to find the root cause as I do not know what cause the problem...
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 05:36:14 am »

observation

The claws mail hang appears to be associated with the edit accounts dialog not opening prior to account preferances.

If you click configuration/ preferances for current account, it opens the account preferances, but clicking apply/ok causes hang.

if you click configuration/ preferances but then cancel then you see the edit accounts dialog you can then choose edit and the accounts preferances can be applied and ok takes you back to edit accounts.

if rather you click configuration then edit accounts you can click edit for account preferances and edit the account.

note that clicking configuration new account opens the edit accounts dialog prior to the new account preferances

it is only when you open account preferances via configuration/ preferances for current account and click apply/ok, the item should be removed or grayed out until fixed.

as I do not see the means to do this edit in a config file I would suggest replacing the application with sylpheed or thunderbird. sylpheed is the lighter of the two and would work best for low end users but could be made available in the repository if thunderbird is chosen.

then again perhaps I am way off the mark, I am not very clever

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:41:47 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 06:00:31 am »

Seamonkey is a full internet suite, if seamonkey is included in the ISO...might as well remove firefox and claws-mail...
We went this way once, back in VL 5.0 or 5.1 IIRC. I was the one who proposed the idea, following Puppy's logic and taking into account VL's niche. I have been a SeaMonkey user since it before 1.0, and a Mozilla Suite user before that. It really does work faster and with lower resource use than Firefox and Thunderbird (or even when compared to just Firefox, in my experience). However, there were a lot of "protests" from users who like to follow the "trends" (at least that's the way I see it, sorry if that opinion offends anyone...).

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 07:40:12 am »

uelsk8s

I tried texlive from the untested repository and it loads fine and shows as installed in gslapt, but it doesn't work.  The file is too small.  Texlive is a 4 hour download on my system and texlive from untested is an 18 minute download.  The untested version does not include the various classes, such as article, letter, etc.  I think the shortness of the download dooms it from the start.   
when you say it loads fine, but doesn't work, what do you mean?
is there a file that i could open with it or some way i can test it here?
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 08:36:45 am »

uelsk8s

I stand corrected.  Texlive from untested does work and works well.  In attempting to respond to your question, I went through the drill so I could explain it to you and realized that I had not deleted tetex.  Tetex, which is in the regular repositories, apparently must be deleted before lyx, on reconfiguring (Tools>reconfigure) will recognize texlive.  I am not sure, but I think that tetex must be loaded when texlive is installed and then removed after texlive is installed and before reconfiguring lyx.

I have another machine I plan on loading lyx on and will pay more attention to detail then.

Anyway, I apologize for the error.  Texlive in untested works just fine.

Also, for what its worth, I downloaded lyx 2.07 from the untested repositories, and it seems to work fine too.  

Finally, before installing texlive, I installed clisp from untested.  Not sure whether that step was necessary or not.

Now, on to yate.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:39:15 am by sledgehammer » Logged

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 09:18:42 am »

Yate doesn't work. 

I downloaded and installed yate from slackbuilds.org.  Seems to install fine but, as with the case of late with yate in 7.0, yate won't run.  The icon shows up in menu under internet. But no gui  (See below).  I have no clue why this is happening.  Don't know if its VL or yate.  Yate worked fine on 7.0 until a couple of months ago.  The yate forum has been unable to help.  I am forced to use linphone, a clearly inferior voip client. I would be happy to pay someone a reasonable fee to get yate working in VL as I am constantly using voip.

... (I omitted data to this point to save space)

Initializing module SNMP Agent
<WARN> Failed to save config file '/etc/yate/snmp_data.conf' (13: Permission denied)
<snmpagent:WARN> Could not bind SNMP UDP Listener, error 13 Permission denied
Initializing module Analog Channel
Initializing module Signalling Channel
Initializing module Presence
Initializing module PBX for database
Initializing module Cache
Initializing module SIP Features
Initializing module Accounts from file
Initializing module Monitoring
Initializing module Radius client
Initializing module Late Router
Initialization complete
Yate engine is initialized and starting up on vector.linux.net

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 03:14:03 pm »

according to this you need yate-qt4

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=139827

Everything Is Relative
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 05:30:21 pm »

uelsk8s

I stand corrected.  Texlive from untested does work and works well.  In attempting to respond to your question, I went through the drill so I could explain it to you and realized that I had not deleted tetex.  Tetex, which is in the regular repositories, apparently must be deleted before lyx, on reconfiguring (Tools>reconfigure) will recognize texlive.  I am not sure, but I think that tetex must be loaded when texlive is installed and then removed after texlive is installed and before reconfiguring lyx.

I have another machine I plan on loading lyx on and will pay more attention to detail then.

Anyway, I apologize for the error.  Texlive in untested works just fine.

Also, for what its worth, I downloaded lyx 2.07 from the untested repositories, and it seems to work fine too.  

Finally, before installing texlive, I installed clisp from untested.  Not sure whether that step was necessary or not.

Now, on to yate.

uelsk8s,

might want to create a slack-conflicts to remove tetex during installation for texlive
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 06:13:39 pm »

according to this you need yate-qt4

Thanks overthere.  I have yate-qt4 installed on my samsung 7.0 work machine and that gives a "segmentation fault."  However, I don't know if I will get the same error on the lenovo running 64 B3. I will try that when I get home tonight. I sure hope that fixes the problem.    And thanks much for the suggestion.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 06:30:33 pm »

Ya sorry sledgehammer bigger issue than I thought, there is a new version 5 on the yate site as you are likely also aware. hope you have success with the b3 trial

Everything Is Relative
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 07:20:34 pm »

Rebuild yate-5.0.0 v2 to include speex and gsm as dependencies...will let you all know when it available at the untested repo soon...

EDIT:

Ok...bad luck here even with yate-5.0.0 will give me segmentation fault...but good news is someone from SW 14.1 also having the same problem...so might want to see what is the response from yate's developers...

http://yate.null.ro/mantis/view.php?id=363
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:51:30 pm by hata_ph » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 09:05:47 pm »

.so might want to see what is the response from yate's developers...

Good luck getting anything out of the folks on the yate forum. 

BTW, I tried yate-qt4 on the lenovo and got the expected segmentation fault.  I know 1) yate worked fine on VL 7.0 until a couple of month s ago, 2) I did not modify yate or VL 7 (except I added other programs to VL 7) 3) yate stopped running after, I believe, I updated firefox and 4) yate runs fine on my old dell 630 laptop running debian.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 04:59:52 am »

I assume you downgraded firefox as test. the segmentation fault seems to be a slackware issue and appears vector rules again with a window of usage, if firefox (added app) solves then you have something to work with.

Everything Is Relative
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: