Test result, VL-7.1-STD-B3.2.iso written to USB stick using Unetbootin 565-3.
Install on real hardware; Intel G31 mobo, integrated video, E5200 CPU, 2G RAM.
BIOS sees USB stick as sda1 and HDD as sdb. Without USB stick, HDD becomes sda.
Automatic install went without any error messages.
1. Shut down, remove USB stick and restart: No boot.
2. Reboot with USB stick inserted, boot ok.
3. Start without USB stick and edit options,
replace hd1 with hd0, and sdb with sda: boot ok.
Ran update-grub and normal boots from there on.
Advanced install, chose LILO for boot loader.
1. Boot without USB stick, manually supplied boot option "root=/dev/sda ro" .. boot ok.
2. Edited first non-commented line of lilo.conf,
changed boot = /dev/disk/by-id/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to: boot = /dev/sda
Ran lilo and normal boots from there on.