VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 10:10:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: firefox tor hack  (Read 6824 times)
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« on: February 17, 2014, 07:08:14 pm »

this "hack" or "trick" or whatever assumes you have tor installed and running as you like

this should belong in Security advisories imho but i have no access there

save this code as file "anyname" in your home/user/.mozilla

Code:
function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
  isp = "PROXY ip_address:port; DIRECT";
  tor = "SOCKS 127.0.0.1:9050";
  if (shExpMatch(host,"*.onion")) {
  return tor; }
  return "DIRECT";}

now open firefox and enter

Code:
about:config

into the address bar

in the search bar enter "dns" and find the field which is

Code:
network.proxy.socks_remote_dns

and change the value to "true"

close out of that and now go to "edit" tab and "prefferences"
click "advanced" then "network" then click on "configure how firefox connects to the internet" the "settings" tab on the right.........at the bottom click the tick box for "automatic proxy configuration url" and enter the path to the above "home/user/.mozilla/anyname" in this format .....file:///home/user/.mozilla/anyname

and thats it, now anytime you go to an .onion website you are automagically "torified" and are secure. if you open another tab and go to somesite.com that traffic is regular and open and not part of  tor....its just automagic as long as you go through an .onion
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:11:24 pm by wigums » Logged

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 11:54:07 am »

Hi wigums.  That was interesting.  I did as you suggested.  I'm not sure how to test it though.  What is an .onion website?

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:11:55 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.onion    <------please read

.onion
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.onion is a pseudo-top-level domain host suffix (similar in concept to such endings as .bitnet and .uucp used in earlier times) designating an anonymous hidden service reachable via the Tor network. Such addresses are not actual DNS names, and the .onion TLD is not in the Internet DNS root, but with the appropriate proxy software installed, Internet programs such as Web browsers can access sites with .onion addresses by sending the request through the network of Tor servers. The purpose of using such a system is to make both the information provider and the person accessing the information more difficult to trace, whether by one another, by an intermediate network host, or by an outsider.

so if you were to enter this address in your web browser

http://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion/

you would be accessing duckduckgo search engine through the tor network and any site you go to from there (maybe you might search for "shields up") would also be through the tor network. so you click on the shields up site that it finds for you and it will show not YOUR ip, but the ip of the tor proxy you,ve traveled through....thus hiding you
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:41:06 pm by wigums » Logged

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 06:15:40 pm »

Thanks for the explanation.  I tried the duckduckgo link you gave, but it told me "Server not found".  I installed tor 0.2.3.25-i586-1vl70, and did everything as described in your opening post.  I have a firewall running (via vasm) so perhaps that is blocking it.  I'll try to reboot and have the firewall disabled.

ETA:  Nope, even after restarting with the firewall disabled, I still get the "Server not found" feedback.

ETA2:  Okay, I figured out what I did wrong.  In the last step I copied and pasted "file:///home/user/.mozilla/anyname" rather than "file:///home/mark/.mozilla/anyname".  So, I changed that.

Now it does find the server, but it tells me:
The proxy server is refusing connections

Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.

Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:40:10 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 08:54:03 am »

Couldn't get it to work.  But, I did find a "tor browser bundle" on the tor website, and installed that and got it working.  It's kind of interesting, I guess. 

wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 09:15:44 pm »

is tor running?
type this in a terminal

Code:
tor &

and try again. one thing i forgot to mention is that if your behind a router you may need to use an outside DNS server. if you have tor running and you try that url again, if it says sight not found or whatever you'll need to edit your /etc/resolv.conf and change to an outside dns, i use

Code:
nameserver 89.233.43.71

just enter that and it should be golden. for some reason sometimes i have to change my dns and sometimes i can use my routers (192.168.1.1) i have no idea why.

but im betting you just dont have tor running. i guess i should have added that part to the original post
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:35:14 pm by wigums » Logged

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:47:58 pm »

Yes, thanks, it works now after I started tor.

ETA:

Quote from: wigums
so if you were to enter this address in your web browser

http://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion/

you would be accessing duckduckgo search engine through the tor network and any site you go to from there (maybe you might search for "shields up") would also be through the tor network. so you click on the shields up site that it finds for you and it will show not YOUR ip, but the ip of the tor proxy you,ve traveled through....thus hiding you

Accessing duckduckgo via the above onion site worked.  However, when I used this site to search for and connect with Shields Up, I still received my same IP address, whereas when I use the tor browser bundle, I get a different IP address.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:56:29 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 02:49:59 pm »

ah that would be my error in explanation. as long as you go through an .onion your ok, so go to the duckduckgo site again and search "my ip" and youd see the proper results. where as the tor bundle uses the tor network for EVERYTHING, this trick is just to an .onion and everything else does not go through the tor network

http://www.dirnxxdraygbifgc.onion/

theres a few for ya

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:31:12 pm »

Thanks.  The link you gave doesn't work.  It told me "Feb 21 00:16:44.000 [warn] Invalid onion hostname [scrubbed]; rejecting".  When I removed the "www" from the url, it did work, though.  Looks very interesting.  A lot of links to check out.

You're right about IP address in duckduckgo-onion.  "Your IP address is 107.21.210.24 in Ashburn, Virginia, United States" --> completely wrong.  But yes, if I wish to browse the regular web anonymously, then I'd have to use the tor bundle browser.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:37:30 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: