VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 11:33:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: log of recent file actions  (Read 1128 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: July 31, 2013, 09:48:03 am »

Hello.  Is there a log of recent file actions that I can access anywhere?  I was using Thunar, and I grabbed a hidden file (/home/mark/.jpilot) to put it in the side-pane shortcut list, and the file simply disappeared (IE, it's now not listed in either the side-pane shortcut list of the main list of files).  Needless to say, I'm not pleased.  Anyway, is there a record of what happened to files anywhere?  

ETA:  I did find the file.  Seems I moved it into one of the other short cuts, rather than creating a shortcut of the file itself.  Still, it would be useful to be able to track such things via a log file.  Is there one?  I checked /var/log directory, but couldn't make head or tail or it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:12:32 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:15:10 am »

Hi Mark,

The shell tool find could be useful. For example, you can use

Code:
find $HOME -mmin 5

To get a list of files modified in the last 5 minutes. You can adjust time frames and add more filters for better accuracy. In your case -type d for looking at directories only, or since you know the name of the folder, you can grep for that too.

HTH, Rodrigo

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 04:18:38 pm »

Thanks rbistolfi and yusufcpi.  The command you've suggested is very useful.

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: