VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 05:28:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie help with Grub2 configuration  (Read 2280 times)
CitizenM

« on: February 24, 2014, 02:16:16 am »

Hello,
Just setting up my Shuttle XS35GTAV3 with VL7.0 SOHO and Grub.

I can start the system by pressing 'e' at the prompt and editing the configuration...

My filesystem is EXT4, so I change insmod to EXT4
I must also change to vga=769

otherwise the system wont boot.  This is ok, but how do I make these changes permanent?  Searched widely but can't find an answer.

Also, does anyone know why when I press F10, sometimes it continues to boot, and sometimes it boots afresh: meaning I have to change the configuration again hoping that when I press F10 it will finish booting?

Thanks,

M.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 04:44:11 am »

Generally, what you're going through would indicate a borked grub installation as you shouldn't have to specify the file type every time you start the machine.

Is this a default install from SOHO, or did you install Grub from a different source?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:33:39 am »

The 'insmod ext2' should cover ext2, ext3 and ext4 partitions, so you should not have to insert that.
To change the default VGA value, edit your /etc/default/grub and you will have to follow the syntax of the "if [ "$GRUB_GFXMODE" ... statement there to add your VGA mode.

CitizenM

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:41:48 pm »

Thanks for your time, folks.

Yes, this is a default VL 7.0 SOHO installation, on a brand new SSD, partitioned by my newbie self using the Gparted tool to 2x EXT4 partitions, one for the root / and one for home /home.

I didn't do anything special at all during install and now, to get it to boot at all, I have to press 'e' at start up, which displays...

Code:
setparams 'VectorLinux GNU/Linux, Linux 3.2.6'

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hdo,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root f66d0295-24ba-4c37-8509-62fa64cf2dc6
linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.6 root=/dev/sda1 ro splash=silent vga=788
initrd16 /boot/initrd

I have to change ext2 in the third line to ext4, and vga=788 in the second last line to vga=769: otherwise it will not boot.

This is fine.  I worked this out myself by trial and error and a bit of googling for vga codes.  However I just need some more general advice on how to save this file; what this file is called and where it lives (so I don't need to do these edits for every time I boot).

I did find a file but it had a comment saying not to edit it.  The file which apparently generates it did not allow changes to these particular parameters.  hence I'm a bit stuck.

Any ideas??
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:18:22 pm »

Grub2 comes with its own config system.  That's why you're not supposed to edit grub.cfg manually, but instead edit the files I pointed you to.  Once you edit those, you run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (make sure you save a backup copy of the working file before you do this)

CitizenM

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 05:16:02 am »

Getting there now...

I have managed to alter the grub.cfg permanently so that is great.  Thanks.

However I still have a problem: unless I press 'e' at the Grub prompt to go into edit mode, then press F10/Crtl-X to continue, it still won't boot.

In other words, I don't need to make any changes to the Grub.cfg file, but I DO need to invoke the edit mode on boot up, otherwise the system just hangs and I get a blank screen.

I think this is why I thought that changing ext2 to ext4 helped it to boot a bit further.  But you were right, M0E-lnx, it makes no difference.  It is entering the edit mode that makes it boot.  My question is why?

CitizenM

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:45:40 pm »

Just had a thought.

I was reading this page...

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37670_01/E41138/html/ch04s02.html

...which talks about Grub loading in stages, 1, 1_5, 2.  But stage 1_5 is not used if the filesystem is EXT4

and stage 2 reads boot/grub/grub.cfg

I wonder if I'm not getting to stage 2.  I type...

# cd /boot/grub
# ls *stage1_5

but nothing comes up.  Does VL work differently in this regard?

Thanks in anticipation...

Mike.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 04:30:45 pm »

That page deals with Grub legacy. We're using Grub2. There are some rather big differences between the two.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: